Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: Fallout 2: Is it worth it?  (Read 15402 times)

buman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 2: Is it worth it?
« Reply #60 on: July 03, 2009, 04:59:28 pm »

Fallout 1 & 2 were amazing when I played them way back when, and I still think they are some of the best games I've ever played. However more recently went back to try and play BGII and Fallout but I couldn't stand to play them.

Maybe its better to let the memory live on and never look back :D

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 03, 2009, 05:33:30 pm »

It IS kind of pointless when you don't have anything to discover anymore, storywise. Replayability is really kinda low ;)

I played FO1, I dunno, 2 years ago or summat, for the first time. I really had to force myself to play that game, because it looked and felt THAT horrible... but it was great in the end.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 03, 2009, 05:58:50 pm »

I have no troubles replaying the games every 2 years. Tend to find things I never noticed/saw before or simply don't remember that well. The replayability's actually pretty good considering different character builds get to do slightly different things.

I don't understand what people find wrong with the graphics. I consider them the best pre-rendered graphics out there, even if they're a bit repetetive.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 03, 2009, 06:15:10 pm »

yeah, well, it looked alright for it's time, and once I got used to it I really enjoyed the graphics... but I had to ... "forget" a lot of the stuff I was used to, before I could really enjoy it.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 03, 2009, 06:39:36 pm »

I really want to try playing the game as a stupid character.

buman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 03, 2009, 08:36:49 pm »

A dumb character is alot of fun, especially for the talking heads.The retarded NPC sulik normally just talks gibberish to you. But when you are dumb you can talk to each other in gibberish and in brackets is the sophisticated conversation you are having in that unique language.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 03, 2009, 09:11:13 pm »

I liked playing Fallout one through without killing anyone sometimes, it takes a bit of work...
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

BradB

• Bay Watcher
  • I hate this site, it keeps me from playing!
    • View Profile
    • An awesome gaming news ticker, woweee!
« Reply #67 on: July 07, 2009, 12:29:59 pm »

I saw Fallout 2 in a game shop, and having heard great things about I bought it. Everything I heard about it was true. Awesome game.

"Swank" had 10 Intelligence, like 8-9 charisma 7 luck, 6ish agility and endurance and 3 strength. Traits: Chem Reliant, Sex Appeal
I was trying to make a sort of diplomat/smartass guy, unlike I normally would. What a horrible idea that was. Every weapon I was too weak to use properly, the start trial area was a nightmare (even on easiest). If it wasnt bad enough, my status were further lowered by addictions to every kind of drug. Including Jet  :( 

Things worked out for me in the end, the enclave armour raises up your stats a heap. Finally, I could use a weapon other than my spiked brass knuckles.

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 07, 2009, 01:51:32 pm »

In order to maximize stats by end game, you don't want to start with more than 5(6?) strength, 8 luck, 9 intelligence, 9 perception and 9 charisma. Gifted is also a really great talent.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 07, 2009, 02:54:35 pm »

Hmm... that's kinda silly though. There's not much you can do when your stats are only maxed out near the end game.

You should just play as you like. Fallout was meant to be played like that, not through metagaming. It's not like a JRPG where you stand a better chance of beating the final boss if you're fully levelled up or whatever.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 07, 2009, 05:11:06 pm »

There's not much you can do when your stats are only maxed out near the end game.
If you know what to do (obviously because you've already played this game from the start to the end), you can max out them with things ( I don't like to spoil ) in the beginning and to get the best gear ASAP. But it's not fun to play this way. However you should try it at least once :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 07, 2009, 09:22:14 pm »

There's not much you can do when your stats are only maxed out near the end game.
If you know what to do (obviously because you've already played this game from the start to the end), you can max out them with things ( I don't like to spoil ) in the beginning and to get the best gear ASAP. But it's not fun to play this way. However you should try it at least once :).

The game has contents for different stats... so just play whatever way you want to.

Like that item with the description "If you gotta ask, you don't want to know" (from memory, might not be the exact words) in Broken Hills... :P

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 08, 2009, 09:59:05 am »

having heard of the stupid guy thing, I dusted off my copy of fallout [1] and decided to play a retarded guy. well it's kinda half way fun (although after a few hours I gave up, and traded most of my loot for a stack of Mentats- you really start to appreciate speech, when you have to pay dearly and risk addcition every time you want to use it  ;) ). Can anyone help me figure out what to do with the mutants though? The brotherhood will not have me (I already talked to Caleb [the guard guy] once without mentats), and miniguns tear combat armor to shreds in 2, at most 3 volleys (I'm level 9 at the moment).
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 08, 2009, 10:17:04 am »

IIRC the retared thing isnt all that fun in fallout 1, I dont know, however, I'm not sure wether or not I tried it.

In FO2 you have COMPLETELY different dialogues once you drop under a certain intelligence level, iirc.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 08, 2009, 10:32:42 am »

It's not like a JRPG where your stand a better only chance of beating the final boss is if you're fully levelled up or whatever.
But yes, I never really got the chance to play fallout. Seems that is one of my great regrets.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8