Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: Fallout 2: Is it worth it?  (Read 15384 times)

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 2: Is it worth it?
« Reply #90 on: July 14, 2009, 12:31:17 pm »

Well, poo.  Suddenly the game is crashing every time I try to go to trapper town.  Anyone else ever encounter this problem?  Can I complete the game without trapper town?  I seem to be able to go to other areas okay.  I wonder if this has something to do with that unofficial patch I installed...
You can play through perfectly without trapper town. But I recommend trying earlier saves to see where it started and try to avoid the problem. It may be related to save corruption, which could act up later on as well.

Also, did you apply the last official patch before the unofficial one?

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #91 on: July 14, 2009, 12:34:19 pm »

I only installed the unofficial patch.  It said that would work fine, so I didn't bother with the official one.  I guess I'll revert to an earlier save, though that means losing an unfortunately large amount of work...

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 30, 2009, 01:03:26 pm »

(They say that necromancy will cost you your soul, but for this game it was worth it.)

I just got my hands on Fallout 2, and played through the game as an insane, genocidal madwoman. I emptied Klamath, Gecko, and Modoc of life with Vic at my side. Picked up the plasma weapons of the Brotherhood of Steel, went nuts all over Vault City, vaporizing everything with headshots from the rifle. The hilarious part is that Vic killed Valerie, though I guess it was technically her fault for attacking him.

So I got to Vault 13 and Deathclaw dude says to me, "I'm not letting you in, I can sense the evil in your heart." So I vaporized him too, and his buddy, then went down to the 3rd level. Of course now I'm stuck in Vault 13 surrounded by Deathclaws, because I only ever make one save. :D
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 30, 2009, 09:06:47 pm »

With a good character you should have no problem with that... you can kill your way through anything. I did that once with a martial arts expert, with throwing (grenades) as a support.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 30, 2009, 11:45:08 pm »

I tried playing fallout 1 and 2. 1 was annoying, It used a hexigon turn-based system and the missions were nearly impossible without some sort of guide (no tutorial led me to hours of trying to find a dam peice of rope) (mission on where to place bomb, says near rocks.....hmmmm 2 clusters of rocks....bomb failed can't get another one -> restart)

2 looked pretty much the same and i didn't want to repeat 1 or not go along with any possible story.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 01, 2009, 07:40:49 am »

It used a hexigon turn-based system
What's wrong with hexagons and turn-based?

and the missions were nearly impossible without some sort of guide (no tutorial led me to hours of trying to find a dam peice of rope) (mission on where to place bomb, says near rocks.....hmmmm 2 clusters of rocks....bomb failed can't get another one -> restart)
You could examine the rocks and see which ones would lead to the cave collapsing. There's also saving and loading. And you could've also traditionally cleared out the cave.

2 looked pretty much the same and i didn't want to repeat 1 or not go along with any possible story.
You had the previous game's story told at the beginning of FO2, so you wouldn't have troubles there. But if you found FO1 difficult, then I doubt you'd get through the Temple of Trials. :P

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 01, 2009, 09:31:37 am »

Someone MIGHT just not be suited to play RPGs ;D

Well, actually, neither am I, but FO1 sucked me into the story real quick and I savored that friggin game, it's that good. I just had to ignore me being repulsed by the fugly graphics (which took me almost ten years or so, I had the game since it was released) and soon it took off.

But come on, didnt you try to BARTER at least once, which gets you so many ropes you could become a bondage artist, if the game allowed it.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 01, 2009, 10:10:51 am »

Seems FO2 will be a better choice for him. If Micro continues to play FO1, we all know it would not be long before he comes back and complain about the tight time limit. :P

In FO2 the time limit is so long it practically doesn't exist.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 01, 2009, 10:15:37 am »

Seems FO2 will be a better choice for him. If Micro continues to play FO1, we all know it would not be long before he comes back and complain about the tight time limit. :P

Maybe, but I recall FO2 generally being harder, or at least taking much longer to get the good equipment. You don't even start with a firearm and the first one you get is probably a semi-useless pipe rifle (unless you luck out and have an encounter that leaves you with a gun).

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 01, 2009, 11:04:40 am »

Actually, as it turns out, you can get the Advanced Power Armor literally right after the first town. That thing is a game-breaker for most of the early and mid-game.

It even comes with access to the best energy and melee weapons in the game. That's pretty horrific.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 01, 2009, 11:20:29 am »

Actually, as it turns out, you can get the Advanced Power Armor literally right after the first town. That thing is a game-breaker for most of the early and mid-game.

It even comes with access to the best energy and melee weapons in the game. That's pretty horrific.
Except you'd have to read a walkthrough or have prior knowledge of the game. Not to mention luck related to not encountering anything on the way there.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 01, 2009, 01:21:41 pm »

There's a time limit? What happens? (I'm guessing Arroyo starves? that would be boring...)
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 01, 2009, 08:08:58 pm »

There's a time limit? What happens? (I'm guessing Arroyo starves? that would be boring...)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 01, 2009, 09:35:53 pm »

Wait, you mean they're not supposed to all die? Shoot, I must have been doing something wrong.

Except you'd have to read a walkthrough or have prior knowledge of the game. Not to mention luck related to not encountering anything on the way there.

That's true. There's a huge chance of meeting an enemy along the way that will just murder you.

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #104 on: October 01, 2009, 09:49:35 pm »

I fiddled with both the original Fallouts; something about them just didn't appeal to me. Perhaps the interface was too clunky, the action slightly too slowly-paced (at the time- when I'm busy with other things, say, school, I tend to focus my attention on faster-paced games,) or maybe I was still too addicted to Fallout 3 when I tried them.
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8