Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Creating Obsidian Statues: The Fun Way  (Read 4923 times)

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
Re: Creating Obsidian Statues: The Fun Way
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2009, 02:32:55 am »

If you introduced the magma into a thick vein of coal, it ought to stay plenty hot for a while down there.

For they would be your masters.

Dwaref

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2009, 02:47:38 am »

How hot does it have to be to generate magma steam?
A wild guess here is that we probably can't achieve it.
He is somewhat reserved. He prefers to be alone. He doesn't need thrills or risks in life. He is never optimistic or enthusiastic about anything. He has a fertile imagination. He is open-minded to new ideas. He is put off by authority and tradition. He is very straightforward with others. He is very disorganized. He thinks it is incredibly important to strive for excellence. He has very little self-discipline. He takes time when making decisions. He doesn't really care about anything anymore.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2009, 04:21:51 am »

How hot does it have to be to generate magma steam?
A wild guess here is that we probably can't achieve it.
Well, you can already spray magma by dropping it, produce normal steam with water into it.

Now magma steam? that would be a force.

Anything hot enough to make magama steam puts out enough infrared to set hair on fire in short order, and burn creatures to death quickly.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2009, 05:55:31 am »

Whoa...I was actually responding to the (much earlier) suggestion about randomly choosing the kind of volcanic rock created when magma is cooled, and pointing out that what you get is highly dependent on the circumstances of its formation. For all intents and purposes, i think that if Magma is underground (meaning we haven't pumped it to the surface to use as magma) or in a volcano, then it shouldn't cool-just from a gameplay standpoint. Even if magma is inside a volcano...it takes a long time for it to cool. And if it's exposed to the surface...that means the volcano's ACTIVE, and the lava/magma won't be cooling any time soon!

BTW, how are obsidian swords exploitable?
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2009, 07:34:57 am »

Speaking of steam, I agree, we really do need a way to harness steam power. A nice trickle into a magma pipe (enough to create steam, but not to cap off the piple) should produce a nice continuous stream of it. This and maybe have water on hot rocks produce steam (like in RL) and provided that you have a continuous/replenishable source, this would work quite well.

As far as the turbines, we can adapt the windmills or watermills, they already have the code and would work just fine. Some tweaks in the overall design may be needed though.

irdsm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2009, 07:56:16 am »

I like the statue idea but I think that it should only be caused in cases of natural old aging. As dwarves get older they get less agile and creakier, and when they die they finished the transformation into rock.
Does this mean that elves age into 'wood'

Well...You know those eco-friendly logs they sell you?

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2009, 09:20:32 am »

If you introduced the magma into a thick vein of coal, it ought to stay plenty hot for a while down there.

But then, why bother with the magma?  Why not just use the coal?
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2009, 10:10:21 am »

BTW, how are obsidian swords exploitable?
It's mostly that they're every bit as good as steel swords while not requiring any of the infrastructure needed to forge steel (no anvil, no fuel, no iron, no flux, and you can even use a stoncrafter instead of a weaponsmith, which is much easier to skill up).
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

bjlong

• Bay Watcher
  • [INVISIBLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2009, 10:54:36 am »

But then, why bother with the magma?  Why not just use the coal?

Siege tactic? Creating a break to fend off underground enemies for a while?
I hesitate to click the last spoiler tag because I expect there to be Elder Gods in it or something.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2009, 11:37:12 am »

I meant as fuel.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2009, 06:40:03 pm »

Given the health problems associated with coal mining (black lung), dwarves would have a strong incentive to use magma as the alternative-and black lung may make it into the game eventually.
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

Whiskey Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2009, 07:54:13 am »

Given the health problems associated with coal mining (black lung), dwarves would have a strong incentive to use magma as the alternative-and black lung may make it into the game eventually.
Coal dust might not be healthy but magma is even less so.

Hopefully some of the future changes will make magma as dangerous as it should be.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2009, 08:03:00 am »

Actually, magma is relatively safe-and dwarves are used to the heat of the forge. The only danger i can think of is tapping a viscous gas-filled felsic magma and causing your volcano to go mount saint helens on you. The way I see it, they have to have SOMEway of dealing with it if they can build magma forges.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2009, 08:51:41 am »

I imagine if the forge's magma supply is only one tile of exposed magma/lava, they're probably okay.
Just so I remember

BradB

• Bay Watcher
  • I hate this site, it keeps me from playing!
    • View Profile
    • An awesome gaming news ticker, woweee!
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2009, 02:40:12 am »

[/derail]

I think we are going to make the game realisticated (much like being castrated) if we keep going this way with suggestions.

If something is encased in magma and mined out it should leave a masterwork statue of it. Sure, all you armchair scientists say it would not work in real life and heck, it probably wouldn't. But remember, this is a game and does not need to follow "what would really happen", it is meant to be fun!.

(Noun) 1. Fun Activities that involve brutally killing kittens and other cute, fluffy animals in a creative and over-the-top method.
(see also: sociopath)

Does anyone here not want to be able to make kitten statue factories?
If that is the case... get out, go back to runescape you 10 year old cotton-wool baby.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 02:47:22 am by BradB »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4