Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Creating Obsidian Statues: The Fun Way  (Read 4907 times)

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
Re: Creating Obsidian Statues: The Fun Way
« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2009, 03:34:29 am »

It's not that we don't want to make kitten-statue factories, it's that we don't want the game to be destroyed with stupid exploitable nonsense that doesn't add anything to the game for serious players interested in an environment that functions on something more than lulz-fuel.

The fact that they're one in the same is, I'm sure, simply a coincidence.
For they would be your masters.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2009, 07:19:52 am »

I think we are going to make the game realisticated (much like being castrated) if we keep going this way with suggestions.
I think this is the right way to treat suggestions. It has been checked for consistency (in this case, with a comparison with reality). An alternative for cast statues has been suggested. It has yielded another interesting idea involving corpses turning to stone that fits the atmosphere. As a bonus, there's some more detailed info about what can happen when magma cools, and a request to do something with steam.

That all fits on three pages: I'd say it's quite a good thread.

I'm sure it will be great fun to mod the game into a version of Modern Times meets Tom and Jerry, but a main version with (not realism, but) verisimilitude is preferable: it's easier to check whether algoritms have the desired outcome by comparing it with reality, it's more immersive, and if modding in humouristic stuff has strange effects, the people who like that won't care anyway.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 08:27:03 am by Silverionmox »
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 13, 2009, 07:32:32 am »

Yeah, I don't have anything against unreality, but with the Vanilla, I want something close enough to work from rather than needing to redo everything, just to get a starting point for Mods.

"Verisimilitude" is a great term to use for it, Silverionmox.

Once we have a good base, we can go off in any direction we want.
For they would be your masters.

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 13, 2009, 01:44:48 pm »

Graphite? Graphite is pretty rare to find in DF, how about granite? It makes up the base of the continents, so it's especially dwarfy. I think anyways (the dwarfyness, not the fact that granite forms the base of continents).
graphite should be able to be made by using pile drivers or some other form of pounder on wood. leaves form graphite on the train tracks when the trains run them over.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2009, 01:56:11 pm »

Got a link on that info? Graphite is pure, elemental carbon-I can't see how you can create it use a pile driver and wood. Wood is composed of cellulose and other organic compounds, which in turn are composed of a combination of carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, oxygen, and various other elements in trace quantities. Compressing it and heating it under high pressures and very high temperatures enough to break all the bonds in the organic compounds, boil off the other elements, and melt down the remaining mass of carbon atoms. Carbon itself has a melting point of 3527 degrees Celsius, or 6381 degrees Fahrenheit. That's alot of heat. Wood would ignite first-meaning you would loose much of the carbon as carbon dioxide-and to avoid that, you would need to heat it in the complete ABSENCE of oxygen. Then you still need a way to avoid the leftover nitrogen, oxygen etc from reacting with the resulting mass of molten carbon as it cools, since the whole mass doesn't melt, but would actually decomposes as you heat it enough to break the bonds, THEN melt. 

Edit: Being able to take magma and SLOWLY cool it (with water in iron pipes, or the like) might be able to net you more than obsidian. Also, I'm going to do some more research on volcanic rocks later, specifically the particularly porous rocks you can get like pumice.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 02:13:13 pm by Byakugan01 »
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 13, 2009, 02:15:07 pm »

Got a link on that info? Graphite is pure, elemental carbon
Virtually no naturally occurring substances are pure in nature.  Pure samples of substances are almost always artificial.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 13, 2009, 02:35:08 pm »

From a practical standpoint, however, graphite *is* pure-it and diamonds are, for all intents and purposes, pure carbon. Yes, impurities are present-but they're not present at a high enough concentration to change the very identity of the mineral or its properties. Graphite dos have ores, however, but from looking at them I don't think the dwarves would be able to refine graphite from them. That being said, graphite can be found and mined as veins in rock. I'll look up what kind later.
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]