Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Creating Obsidian Statues: The Fun Way  (Read 4918 times)

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Creating Obsidian Statues: The Fun Way
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2009, 08:28:38 pm »

Practically speaking, a dwarf turning into stone when they die is basically magical; I think we can handwave the type of stone as long as we're invoking magic. :)
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2009, 08:34:56 pm »

LegoLord: The weaponization of magma, if you're referring to obsidian swords, is just a little bit insane and open to abuse. It's one of those crossbow gatling gun issues that'll hopefully get firmly fixed in a future update.

Being able to discover a very rare fountain of magma that could be turned into obsidian swords would be neat, but in it's current incarnation, it frankly sucks, and goes a long way to kill smithing.

If you just mean magma: it's not good enough for you that our dwarfs can control magma? It has to be fantasy magma?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 08:50:56 pm by SirHoneyBadger »
For they would be your masters.

Dwaref

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2009, 09:02:57 pm »

I like the statue idea but I think that it should only be caused in cases of natural old aging. As dwarves get older they get less agile and creakier, and when they die they finished the transformation into rock.
I don't really like.
Does this mean that elves age into 'wood', humans age into' plains'(wtf), and goblins/kobolds age into 'evil/skulking'?

Correct me if i'm wrong, but does DF even have any creation myths that involve dwarves having an innate connection with 'rock'? Armok is the GOD OF BLOOD, so shouldn't dwarves like, fall into a gory heap at the end of their natural life? As if they already don't.
He is somewhat reserved. He prefers to be alone. He doesn't need thrills or risks in life. He is never optimistic or enthusiastic about anything. He has a fertile imagination. He is open-minded to new ideas. He is put off by authority and tradition. He is very straightforward with others. He is very disorganized. He thinks it is incredibly important to strive for excellence. He has very little self-discipline. He takes time when making decisions. He doesn't really care about anything anymore.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2009, 09:31:52 pm »

I think dwarves turning into stone is pretty cool... there's a million ways to explain it, plus it's often. I don't see that being *too* magical since we have demons and the like already. You could say it's a disease or a curse or something... maybe that elves and dwarves are normally immortal.

Also, what DOES happen when a dwarf dies at maxage? Does this only happen in worldgen? Do they (OOC, for fortress mode purposes) just collapse into a pile of blood and body parts, not unlike if a killing blow were dealt? Or straight to a corpse item?
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2009, 09:34:59 pm »

I believe that creatures that die of old age in fortress mode just keel over into a corpse with their possessions neatly stacked on top of them.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2009, 10:23:02 pm »

Is Armok even the god of the dwarfs? I always just assumed he represented the main antagonist in Adventure mode.

I know he's the god of slaughter, but that doesn't sound terribly dwarfy to me.

Dwaref

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2009, 10:34:00 pm »

Is Armok even the god of the dwarfs?
Hmm, i dunno now. I just assumed that the dwarves were the slaves of Armok, but it does seem that the goblins are better candidates with their demon lords. Maybe dwarves are because of their attraction to HFS?
He is somewhat reserved. He prefers to be alone. He doesn't need thrills or risks in life. He is never optimistic or enthusiastic about anything. He has a fertile imagination. He is open-minded to new ideas. He is put off by authority and tradition. He is very straightforward with others. He is very disorganized. He thinks it is incredibly important to strive for excellence. He has very little self-discipline. He takes time when making decisions. He doesn't really care about anything anymore.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2009, 10:45:51 pm »

LegoLord: The weaponization of magma, if you're referring to obsidian swords, is just a little bit insane and open to abuse. It's one of those crossbow gatling gun issues that'll hopefully get firmly fixed in a future update.
That's obsidian not magma.  Come now, surely you must have built a magma death trap?  You wouldn't suggest that we shouldn't have those at all, surely?  They're way too much fun.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Craftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2009, 10:57:51 pm »

Dwarves are made out of stronger stuff than other humanoids. So it stands to reason that they should survive better when hit by 10 tonnes of magma right?
I like the statue idea but I think that it should only be caused in cases of natural old aging. As dwarves get older they get less agile and creakier, and when they die they finished the transformation into rock.
I like it!
Would the bodies/statues still be put in coffins?

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2009, 11:01:14 pm »

Dwarves are made out of stronger stuff than other humanoids. So it stands to reason that they should survive better when hit by 10 tonnes of magma right?
Since there is sufficient game data to make this true of dwarves, the fact that they don't in vanilla DF says otherwise.  Besides, increased strength doesn't necessarily mean better heat resistance.  Take any organic polymer for example; they can be incredibly strong, stronger than a lot of metals, yet they melt at temperatures most metals would scoff at.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2009, 11:15:40 pm »

I like it!
Would the bodies/statues still be put in coffins?
Under this "old dwarves turn into statues" hypothesis, I would say that dwarven coffins are basically hollow statues, for dwarves that didn't manage to make it the "natural" way.

Craftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2009, 11:19:14 pm »

Going into a dwarven tomb just got creepier.

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2009, 11:56:38 pm »

Is Armok even the god of the dwarfs?
Hmm, i dunno now. I just assumed that the dwarves were the slaves of Armok, but it does seem that the goblins are better candidates with their demon lords. Maybe dwarves are because of their attraction to HFS?

there was actually a topic somewhere that asked that question. It's quite the read.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 11:59:05 pm by Luke_Prowler »

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2009, 12:00:27 am »

No no, I want magma death traps, I'm all for them, and I'd never want to see them be taken away--but that's a situation that's still very workable. It doesn't require crazy magic magma to function, just the off the shelf stuff would work fine.

When you add longer cooling times, it starts resembling napalm or Greek fire or something. It's already magma

Dwaref

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2009, 02:22:42 am »

When you add longer cooling times, it starts resembling napalm or Greek fire or something. It's already magma
Here i spent a few minutes trying to devise a magma-heated closed magma system. The system still damn requires the trap to be right inside a volcano, which will still eventually cool!
And i just got a bright idea to have a magma forge heat it..

Besides having all your haulers chucking logs into it, i don't know!
Maybe there's enough goblins to have the magma be self-sustaining?

######
#   PP__
# PP#__<--- entrance corridor
#MMMM

Here's a chematic. Given the magma curtain melts enough goblin to wash through the grates, it could work. We just need to add an 'energy coefficient' to all creatures in the raws.

Does anyone know if the magma in a layout like this could power its own pumps with a water wheel?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4