Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Creating Obsidian Statues: The Fun Way  (Read 4924 times)

RavingManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Creating Obsidian Statues: The Fun Way
« on: June 10, 2009, 04:40:13 pm »

So I encased one of my dwarves in obsidian, and when I dug out the tile, I got some bones and flaming clothing. Quite dissapointing.

When a creature gets encased in obsidian, its corpse/bones should immediately be replaced by a masterwork obsidian statue. Once statue descriptions get implemented, the statues may be described as something like "This is an uncannily lifelike obsidian statue of the dwarf Urist McDwarf. Urist McDwarf is cringing/screaming/etc".
Thief:"Quiet kitty, Qui-"
Cat:"THIEF! Protect the hoard from the skulking filth!"
The resulting party killed 20 dwarves, crippled 2 more and the remaining 9 managed to get along and have a nice party.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Creating Obsidian Statues: The Fun Way
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 04:48:02 pm »

Of course, encasing in magma doesn't actually work that way. Remember how much of your body is water? All that water goes away when you get dipped into magma, and it's pretty important for giving your body shape. Do a search for dessicated corpses sometime; they're pretty freaky-looking.

And of course, this is ignoring how once your skin and connective tissue and so on is all burned away, there's nothing forcing your skeleton to hold any kind of shape.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 05:02:13 pm »

Yeah, unless you had like a Legendary carving the statue out of the rock, without disturbing the corpse inside, I think all you'd end up with would be a vaguely humanoid blob of obsidian.
For they would be your masters.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 05:34:50 pm »

Encasing someone in plaster, burning the organics away, and filling the resulting hole with magma could work.

In Pompeii, people were encased in volcanic ash. Present-day archeologists have found the holes in the ash layers, and filled them with plaster to create a kind of statue of them (quality: - , at most).

Of course, magma shouldn't turn into obsidian every time. It should turn into any igneous or metamorphic mineral, randomly generated with all the possibilities that normally implies.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 06:15:59 pm »

That's a good point. Dwarfs might even do something like that-the plaster thing-with their dead.

A little off-topic, but it might be that dwarfs simply turn to stone (and rarely metal), after death, with the stone type and statue quality determined by the dwarf's personality, trade, and deeds in life.

You shouldn't be able to sell them, and they might not increase the value of your Fortress, but relatives might visit them, and possibly recieve happy thoughts when near an exceptional one--like a famous blacksmith who's body turned into a masterwork iron statue, or a great king who's body turned to gold.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 06:19:27 pm »

Kind of goes with their Earth affinity I guess. Although, wouldn't this wreak havoc with the macabre and fell moods? Those require dwarf skin and/or bones. The part about them turning to stone at death.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2009, 06:24:32 pm »

You have a good point.

Perhaps it takes time, maybe a week? and requires the dwarf's soul to be present until the transformation? in which case the Fell Mooder might actually be harvesting the dwarf's soul with his/her skin/bones.

That'd make souls a kind of material, which might be useful for other things as well.

irdsm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2009, 06:58:13 pm »

I like the statue idea but I think that it should only be caused in cases of natural old aging. As dwarves get older they get less agile and creakier, and when they die they finished the transformation into rock.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2009, 07:05:42 pm »

I like the statue idea but I think that it should only be caused in cases of natural old aging. As dwarves get older they get less agile and creakier, and when they die they finished the transformation into rock.

I actually like this idea better than my own.  8)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2009, 07:08:28 pm »

Wow...I didn't expect this thread to produce such a nifty idea. I really like that!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2009, 07:17:07 pm »

Actually, the kind of rock formed when magma cools is determined by several factors:
1.  Type of magma-Felsic or Basaltic

You get felsic magmas in volcanos that form under landmasses (think mount saint helens or pinatubo for good examples of what these can be like when they go off!). These are what form the massive composite volcanos, which are what most of us think of when we think of volcanos. They are what produce granite, and virtually every other ingenous intrusive/extrusive layer you find on continents. The high silica content of these magmas makes them highly viscous and more able to trap gases-and by extension, much more likely to have extremely violent, extremely explosive eruptions. They can, however, also have quiet eruptions-but they are the only kind to produce the aforementioned violent ones. Obsidian, by the way, is formed from felsic magmas.

Basaltic magmas form basaltic rocks, and in comparison to grantic magmas are not as viscous and "run" a great deal more, which typically results in shield volcanos-which means virtually every volcanic island in existence. The rocks formed by basaltic magmas also tend to be darker in color, and have a lower silica content than do felsic magmas.

2. Time taken to cool-rapid or slow?

In general, what kind of rock you get is determined by the time it takes for lava/magma to cool. Long cooling time allows for the various minerals present in magma to form larger crystals, while the converse is also true. Dwarf fortress is accurate in this respect-obsidian is formed by the very rapid cooling of highly viscous lava. Rhyolite is related, but actually has had time to form crystals; Obsidian, on the other hand, cools too fast for crystals to grow at all, which makes it a glass in structure-so it's only natural that we get obsidian when we cool lava with water. Which in turns leads directly to

3. Where is it formed-intrusive or extrusive

The distinction between intrusive and extrusive igneous rocks derives directly from the factor noted above. Generally speaking, intrusive rocks have much longer times to cool, and consequently to crystalize, than do extrusive rocks. That, in fact, is *why* the intrusive rock layers in the game are so mineral/gem rich: it's actually a byproduct of their formation. As a result, the individual crystals in each rock can often be seen with the naked eye. However, surface cooling makes this nearly impossible-the lava, no longer insulated or close to its original heat source, cools rapidly and produces tiny crystals, though they still get a chance to form. This is what you get when you are digging out rhyolite.

Then there's the volcanic ash layers, which is basically what you have with obsidian, but not as a steady flow, and instead as a rain of ash. Basaltic eruptions don't produce too much of this-the formation of volcanic ash requires the lava to be sprayed into the air. Felsic magmas, on the other hand, produce this quite readily-assuming they have enough trapped gas for a sufficiently explosive eruption. If they *Do* have enough trapped gas to produce a sizeable ammount of volcanic ash, however, this creates its own dangers-namely, pyroclastic flows and mudflows. These are, incidentally, the greatest danger of having a volcano go off-more so than the lava, pyroclastic flows in particular are very fast flowing and extremely destructive.  As a side note, ash itself is a health hazard because it can form the previously noted cement upon contact with body moisture-including in the lungs.

Edit: Just *how* many dwarves even live for 1/4 that long (last time I checked, the dwarf lifespan was well over 100, maybe 140 as the life expectancy)? ;) Most kick the bucket way earlier than that, though I find the idea of walking down a long hall filled with the statues of former kings of the moutainhomes somewhat awe-inspiring. Though, to take off some of the glamor, it would probably be graphite statues unless *really* heavy magic was involved. Then again, their use of coffins as standard indicates to me that this should only happen if certain conditions were met:

1. The dwarf was almost a mythical/legendary figure due to his actions in life
Say a dwarf rises to become a figure of almost mythical stature for leading the armies to victory after victory against the goblins, elves, and orcs. He would be a candidate for this treatment.

2. Had a real effect on the world-"moved the roots o' th' moutains himself" as it were-maybe his actions led to the foundation of the age of the dwarf, or a new dwarven empire, or even the extermination of the megabeasts and semimegabeasts.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 07:24:27 pm by Byakugan01 »
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2009, 07:23:50 pm »

Graphite? Graphite is pretty rare to find in DF, how about granite? It makes up the base of the continents, so it's especially dwarfy. I think anyways (the dwarfyness, not the fact that granite forms the base of continents).

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2009, 07:29:08 pm »

I'm not sure we want magma to get too realistic as far as cooling goes - if it is too realistic, we don't get to weaponize it as much as we do now, due to cooling time.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2009, 07:31:48 pm »

I suggested graphite because it's the easiest to explain-graphite is simply pure, elemental carbon, the element which life itself is based one-virtually every molecule the body produces contains carbon as one of-and sometimes THE-main components. If you look at it that way, a dwarf is turning into the base material of life-and if magma pressure and its effects get properly implemented, this could be used to turn the graphite dwarf into diamond. Granite, on the other hand...it's got a very high silica content, and we aren't silicon based. ;) Just thought it would be easier to explain than granite, that's all. But I do think it should be specially triggered by events which occur due to the dwarf during their life, regardless-kind of like being a reward from the gods, much as Zeus would sometimes give certain mortals gifts or even godhood on some occasions.

Edit: Not so much-lava can take days to fully cool down, I believe-and with the grate system many people use, the main problem of cooling is avoided by keeping it close to the source.
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

irdsm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2009, 07:41:02 pm »

But I do think it should be specially triggered by events which occur due to the dwarf during their life, regardless-kind of like being a reward from the gods, much as Zeus would sometimes give certain mortals gifts or even godhood on some occasions.

Maybe I misread what your saying, but a dwarf surviving to the end of his natural life....That should be considered a blessing from the gods in itself.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4