Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139 140 ... 204

Author Topic: The "Forgotten the name of this game?" thread. Ask here to prevent clutter.  (Read 375868 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

No direct control, and the robots weren't really giant.

Better idea of what time period "ancient" is referring to would probably help, really...
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 06:47:40 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects

A while ago I read about some space strategy game where you control one of the many civilizations in the galaxy. The point of the game was that you could be the peacekeeper of the galaxy, trying to keep conflicts from starting by preventing them with diplomacy. I really don't remember much about it other than someone comparing playing it to being Picard in Star Trek. I think its a recent release.
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

... sounds a lot like Last Federation, actually?
Ask not!
Ask!

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Maybe Drox Operative but Drox involved a lot more than diplomacy (it wasn't even really diplomacy, even in the simple 4X sense). You weren't really one of the civilizations either.

Koliup

• Bay Watcher
  • Vae Victus!
    • View Profile

Alright, I'm trying to find a name, and all I have are some details:
You start off as a soldier in what looks to be a generic third person "shoot the aliens" deal.
At the end of the tutorial bit above, the main character is flung into a portal or something, and wakes up in a desert-y place being attacked by the same aliens.
Anyway, the main thing I recall was that your character had a suit of armor(?) that could also turn into a bike. And I think you got a bike upgrade before the obligatory flesh-hive level, too.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile

Nnn, you say suit of armour and I think of MDK, but that armour turns into a ribbon glider, not a bike.

Around what year did it come out/did you play it? A comparison to another game with a similar level of graphics would also help. I would assume it was on PC? Other things like what did the aliens look like (humanoid or bug-like), predominant colour schemes and so on help as well.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Koliup

• Bay Watcher
  • Vae Victus!
    • View Profile

Nnn, you say suit of armour and I think of MDK, but that armour turns into a ribbon glider, not a bike.

Around what year did it come out/did you play it? A comparison to another game with a similar level of graphics would also help. I would assume it was on PC? Other things like what did the aliens look like (humanoid or bug-like), predominant colour schemes and so on help as well.

I played it in the early to mid 2000s, if I'm recalling correctly. It had graphics similar to Metal Arms, although I can't confirm this.
It was on a console, but I can't recall which one. The aliens were bug-like, although they may have had humanoid strains.
I can't remember any significant colors.
Although the game's tone was primarily serious. The enemies all had more in common with a xenomorph or predator than, say, the protagonist of Kill All Humans.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 07:45:56 am by Koliup »

beefy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I remember playing a PC indie title a while ago... 2D where you drive a car and have to kidnap (?) school children if I remember exactly... Was a sick game but I can't remember the exact name..  :o Anyone else played this?

-- edit -- found it! http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=6961.0
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 01:01:42 pm by beefy »

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Battlezone did in fact have big mechas in it! But maybe it was in Battlezone 2, can't quite remember. What a legendary game that one was, can just remember snippets but it was very cool back then. One of the first multiplayer I played ever, with a modem!

IIRC First Battlezone US forces had a mech as their top tier unit. It had a pretty wonky aiming.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

Anyway, the main thing I recall was that your character had a suit of armor(?) that could also turn into a bike.
Bit of a long shot, but that, at least, sounds like it might be one of the Robotech games. Given the time period mentioned, probably Battlecry or Invasion (note, I haven't played either, but incredibly cursory searching suggests they both can use the same suit). Suit of armor into a bike is a pretty distinctive feature of the Cyclones, though I definitely wouldn't be surprised if something else has used the concept like, you know, mospeada :V though I don't think that has a video game, so...
Ask not!
Ask!

Koliup

• Bay Watcher
  • Vae Victus!
    • View Profile

Bit of a long shot, but that, at least, sounds like it might be one of the Robotech games. Given the time period mentioned, probably Battlecry or Invasion (note, I haven't played either, but incredibly cursory searching suggests they both can use the same suit). Suit of armor into a bike is a pretty distinctive feature of the Cyclones, though I definitely wouldn't be surprised if something else has used the concept like, you know, mospeada :V though I don't think that has a video game, so...
Yeah, having seen some videos, Robotech Invasion seems to be the one.
I was wrong about some of the details I provided, but from what I saw everything resembles what I remember.
Thanks for helping out!

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The "Forgotten the name of this game?" thread. Ask here to prevent clutter.
« Reply #2066 on: August 06, 2015, 02:39:00 pm »

Im trying to remember the name of a space game, combat was kinda duking it out broadside, had some sort of country/cowboy feel on the music and went out not so long ago....
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2067 on: August 06, 2015, 03:02:24 pm »

... SPAZ? Didn't actually listen to the sound on that one, though. Just assuming from it's nature it has something like that :P

Anything else you can remember? Genre, art style (2D vs 3D, etc.)?
Ask not!
Ask!

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2068 on: August 06, 2015, 04:45:54 pm »

Nah its not spaz, spaz in fact went out quite a while ago, its more recent, full 3D but combat from trailer was kinda like on a *planar* kinda view.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2069 on: August 06, 2015, 04:57:00 pm »

It wasn't Flotilla, was it?  The setting felt kinda western and silly, and the gameplay is kinda about broadside space tactics, though I think the battle music was orchestral.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139 140 ... 204