Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 204

Author Topic: The "Forgotten the name of this game?" thread. Ask here to prevent clutter.  (Read 375823 times)

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Unreal World fits those descriptions (apart from tree climbing).
I thought you could climb trees in the travel/map mode to get a better view. At least I remember falling out of them when I tried.

I THINK they removed tree climbing as a specific skill and rolled it into survival instead, a few versions back. (I admit, it's been a while for me too.)

The older version definitely had tree climbing.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I haven't checked the absolutely most recent version, but I'm sure Climbing is still it's own skill, and it's used for climbing cliffs and trees alike.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile

In older versions, you could indeed climb in the map view.  That was removed in later versions, but the skill and its uses in the zoomed-in view are definitely still present as Akura states. 

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile

Alright, asking on behalf of a colleague of my girlfriend's, who has apparently been looking for this game for the past 10 years or so.

Information I've garnered so far is that it's a singleplayer/multiplayer bomberman clone, played on an IBM thinkpad in the 90's (possibly also early 00's).  Playable characters were "aliens", and the fellow says they were reminiscient of the aliens from Space Jam (although he concedes that he's probably the only one who sees this resemblance, and it might be misleading).  Characters were isometric, map was top-down.

I suggested ClanBomber, but that's apparently not it.  There's a chance it was something pre-installed on the computer when he got it, but he's not sure.

...don't suppose anyone here's familiar with old Bomberman clones, eh?

EDIT: New Info!  Apparently one of the characters had a tired face and wore a nightcap.

EDIT2: *Sigh*...  Nevermind, found it.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i60T5RkbhpY

Nathiuz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A star-empire/exploration/trading game from late 90's.

It involved exploring star systems in a constellation, then settling down on various planets, from volcanic ones to desert ones to glacial planets. There planets had various resources; for example desert planets had abundance of silicon for electronics crafting, volcanic lots of coal-related minerals and metals.

You also had different factions, I remember 2 kinds of 'Knights' and there were Navigators, too. Each faction had different bonus.

Then you build buildings, from shipyards to planetary defenses, while slowly expanding your technologies and fleets, which at first get shuttles and fightercraft, later on carriers and death stars. Once you explore a constellation, you can use a Warp Drive to jump through a jumpgate into another constellation, often to fight pirates or engage other empires.

There was also neutral trading hegemony of sorts that carried your stuff from planets that produce things to planets that demand it for a small fee.

It also had 'build ship & fight in arena with it' mode.

That sounds a lot like Pax Imperia: Eminent Domain

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Nooo, Pax Imperia wasn't anywheres near that complex.

Maybe "Stars!" I never played it, but its the right sort of game in the right era.  Also, "reach for the stars 2000" was a thing.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile

Okay uhm, i recently found Excutive Command (or some thing like that) and it threw me back into my childhood, because i suddenly remembered some ancient strategy game, where you could just like in Executive command take control of units.

It had humongous Mechas in it... and after looking around for a while i haven't yet found it...sorry i can't give more info on the game.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile

what game was that on the Dreamcast in which you started in some scary green field and entered an old (chapel? clock tower?), and beat the first boss, which fractured the world and you have to gain the world back somehow by merging fractured sections of the world including something like modern japan (tokyo) as a dungeon, and then eventually kill the final boss in some kind of fiery magma place?

this game also had monster raising sims and VMU support, which allowed for monster trading and also exploiting the shit out of vmu for level ups.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

Google-fu leads me to believe it's Time Stalkers.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile

much thanks frumpy mcfrumple time to go watch a longplay
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Ametsala

• Bay Watcher
  • "needs chocolate to get through the working day"
    • View Profile

Okay uhm, i recently found Excutive Command (or some thing like that) and it threw me back into my childhood, because i suddenly remembered some ancient strategy game, where you could just like in Executive command take control of units.

It had humongous Mechas in it... and after looking around for a while i haven't yet found it...sorry i can't give more info on the game.

I don't know when you were a kid but BattleTech: The Crescent Hawks' Revenge is an ancient strategy game with mechas :)
Battlezone is a less ancient strategy game where you can take control of units though I don't think it had mechas. Shogo: MAD on the other hand is an FPS where you fight both by foot and in a giant mecha.

AdmiralGeezer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don't know when you were a kid but BattleTech: The Crescent Hawks' Revenge is an ancient strategy game with mechas :)
Battlezone is a less ancient strategy game where you can take control of units though I don't think it had mechas. Shogo: MAD on the other hand is an FPS where you fight both by foot and in a giant mecha.

Battlezone did in fact have big mechas in it! But maybe it was in Battlezone 2, can't quite remember. What a legendary game that one was, can just remember snippets but it was very cool back then. One of the first multiplayer I played ever, with a modem!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

There is about exactly one game I remember that had "humongous mecha" in it that's also an old RTS with direct unit control, and that would be Parkan: Iron Strategy. There's also Machines, but it was more spiderbots and tanks, with no real "mecha".
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile

Metal Fatigue was an RTS which focused on constructing customizable giant mechs with swords and rockets and such.  You could slice or blast limbs off enemy mechs and steal them for research, or even just attach them in the field.  Had three factions and a decent story campaign. 

The neatest part was that every map had three zones, orbit/surface/underground.  I always spammed solar collectors on the orbital asteroids and focused on air superiority...  Mainly with jet fighters, but also giving my mechs rocketpacks and missile launchers.  The underground could be tedious to clear sometimes because it relied on minitanks...  But you could build additional elevators, and eventually you could wreck the underground from the surface with earthquake missiles and sensor nodes.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile

Didn't 7th Legion have giant robots and was a strategy game?
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 204