Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 204

Author Topic: The "Forgotten the name of this game?" thread. Ask here to prevent clutter.  (Read 376005 times)

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

it was for the PC, the creature models were very "primitive" like fractionally better than final fantasy 7

i guess it wasent really marketed at all. a shame because it was a really good game now that i look at it. pretty much a 3D nethack. i'm going to be going to the mall and looking through a few game stores but i wouldent hold my breath, it must have been a pretty old game
Necroing this because I recently saw this on the Codex - Decklin's Demise. Never actually played it, but the features seem accurate with what was described and it even has the forementioned Slave Master (Masher actually :P) + many Slaves encounter among the screenshots.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile

Hahaha, I'm sure it's the game he was looking for. If I only looked at this thread earlier, I'd probably ninja Virtz with his revelation.
Anyway, I still own a copy of this game. I even played it when it was known as Mordor 2 and lacked 3d(an was free).
Fun times, though it really gets boring after a while.

I've got a question too: it was an Amiga game, one of the few RTS ever released. I don't really remember that much about it, except for it being about really small guys(aliens, I think). I think there was a map where you fought amongst giant(relatively speaking) mushrooms and other undergrowth-y stuff.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think this memory is real but I could be wrong...

I remember an NES game where you were flying through space looking for planets to land on or space stations to visit (maybe to refuel?). In space you could blow stuff up (even the space stations I think) or get blown up by aliens.

I also think the game was from the cockpit of your ship as in FPS, I don't remember any graphics for your ship (not even a cockpit dash). I was quite awful at the game and ended up blowing up the friendly space stations thinking they were going to get me.

When you landed on a planet it had a little cut scene where it said what you found and then I think you just flew off back into space...

As far as I know it wasn't a Schump as the emphasis was more on exploration I believe. I was like 6 at the time so I could have just been imagining a game like that or got the memories from a cartoon.
*swears violently and repeatedly*
I think I know what game you're talking about. In order to go between planets, didn't you have to set your destination and accelate past full speed to reach hyperspace? (not the best description, sorry)

It was called Star Voyager or soemthing, though I don't remember being able to blow up space stations.

NES does bring back memories... of trying to get the f@#king carts to work. Orange screen go f@#k yourself!!
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile

it was for the PC, the creature models were very "primitive" like fractionally better than final fantasy 7

i guess it wasent really marketed at all. a shame because it was a really good game now that i look at it. pretty much a 3D nethack. i'm going to be going to the mall and looking through a few game stores but i wouldent hold my breath, it must have been a pretty old game
Necroing this because I recently saw this on the Codex - Decklin's Demise. Never actually played it, but the features seem accurate with what was described and it even has the forementioned Slave Master (Masher actually :P) + many Slaves encounter among the screenshots.

*bows down* that exactly it. thank you for proving i wasent turning senile at 22 years!

for a "young-in" who hasent played a text based roug-like ever, this is a very intresting and fun game.
My current project: Playing through might and magic 6 and posting the videos on youtube.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=136329.msg5003966#msg5003966

A Dwarven Smokeologist

• Bay Watcher
  • Shortcut to Mushrooms
    • View Profile

*swears violently and repeatedly*
I think I know what game you're talking about. In order to go between planets, didn't you have to set your destination and accelate past full speed to reach hyperspace? (not the best description, sorry)

It was called Star Voyager or soemthing, though I don't remember being able to blow up space stations.

NES does bring back memories... of trying to get the f@#king carts to work. Orange screen go f@#k yourself!!

*cheers* Yep that is indeed it, found a nice video here. I don't think I played / rented it very many times as a kid but it left a lasting impression for sure. Thanks :)

Detrevni|inverteD

• Bay Watcher
  • Sometimes you have to step back to appreciate art.
    • View Profile

What was the name of that gnome strategy esque game that has been referenced quite a few times here.. It's loosely similar to Dwarf Fortress, with hunger spirals and stuff. I really can't remember that much about it but I would like to check it out again.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What was the name of that gnome strategy esque game that has been referenced quite a few times here.. It's loosely similar to Dwarf Fortress, with hunger spirals and stuff. I really can't remember that much about it but I would like to check it out again.
Diggles?

Detrevni|inverteD

• Bay Watcher
  • Sometimes you have to step back to appreciate art.
    • View Profile

Diggles?

Yeah, that was it!
Cheers.

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
  • Multi-classing : Because wizards run out of spells
    • View Profile

There was a game I played as a little kid (in the late 80's) on Commodore 64 that I've always wondered what it was called.

It was farming based where you planted different crops and harvested them and things like that.

There was a feature that let you bid on famous paintings like Rembrants that could (or could not) be valuable. (or not if they were fakes)

Also, it might have only been available in German, but I'm not sure there.
I like dogs... with a little bit of garlic and salt...

cupido

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Paintings and crops sounds a bit like "Vermeer".

Ringmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

SOrry if it's already been mentioned, but there are two games I'd like to ask about:

1. This one is mainly for nostalgia, but there was a game (I think it was an Apple educational game) where you went and excavated a massive area in Egypt. And whenever you found something particularly important, you were taken to a small area way back in time in the same Egyptian city that you are excavating, and you had to do something (Usually it was buy something and take it to someone important) to progress the game. Never found out what happens at the end, or if there even was an end.

2. THis one is serious, basically, a game where you played some kind of pilot who was in charge of a small submersible craft deep underwater. And I believe the entire point was to mine this glowy-orange colour metal called Thorium. I remember you could shoot at stuff (And shooting at the Thorium deposits was the only way to break them up to collect them) and the graphics were good for the time (Probably very late 1990s?). I vaguely recall some kind of enemy you were competing against for the Thorium, and I also recall fighting some oversized crabs.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

SOrry if it's already been mentioned, but there are two games I'd like to ask about:

1. This one is mainly for nostalgia, but there was a game (I think it was an Apple educational game) where you went and excavated a massive area in Egypt. And whenever you found something particularly important, you were taken to a small area way back in time in the same Egyptian city that you are excavating, and you had to do something (Usually it was buy something and take it to someone important) to progress the game. Never found out what happens at the end, or if there even was an end.

2. THis one is serious, basically, a game where you played some kind of pilot who was in charge of a small submersible craft deep underwater. And I believe the entire point was to mine this glowy-orange colour metal called Thorium. I remember you could shoot at stuff (And shooting at the Thorium deposits was the only way to break them up to collect them) and the graphics were good for the time (Probably very late 1990s?). I vaguely recall some kind of enemy you were competing against for the Thorium, and I also recall fighting some oversized crabs.

1 - this is totally not what you are asking about, but it does remind me of some of the gameplay in Eternal Darkness for the gamecube.  its a very "call of cthuhlu" feeling game, where you play a modern investigator looking into horrible events and trying to stave off (and sometimes use to your benefit) insanity.  As you read through old journals, there are interactive flashback sequences where you play in whatever historical period the journal is from, or the archeology notes are about.

very well done.

2 - subculture?  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sub_Culture

Ringmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

2 - subculture?  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sub_Culture

That could be it, although I don't recall any harvesting for cigarette butts and the like (Then again, I don't recall getting beyond the first level, either....or even if there were levels.)

Volatar

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mutant Cheese Monster
    • View Profile
    • Anilist

Theres this game I can't remember from my childhood. I played it off a CD about 11-12 years ago or so.

It was like a shooting game (the kind where you evade the crazy enemy shooting - a la Touhou) but it was scifi. You flew a space ship through a series of planets and fought bosses. It had some kind of plot with an intro movie and all, but I can't remember the specifics. Only image I can remember from the cut scene is of some tentacle monster or something attacking a space ship/space station, it poking around inside the ship/station with said tentacles.

The game could not be controlled by keyboard or mouse IIRC, we had to wait to get a joystick to play it - even though you only moved in a 2d plane. We may have just not known how to remap the controls though - I was 6 ok  ::)

The first planet was a lava planet I think. Right at the beginning you were flying down a canyon, and did a barrel roll. Then there was this flying boss thing. I there was a second boss, possibly a moon base with satellite dishes that shot at you, but I may be getting confused. The third boss was this flying dragon that you fought in and around a volcano.

The second planet was a desert planet. The first boss was this bug thing that shot lasers at you as it ran away. I think it looked sort of like a beetle :? If you didn't kill it fast enough it would go into this hole in the ground and turn into a spider (or something similar) and fight you. The second boss was this robot in a dome. I am positive it shot honeycomb shaped lasers at you. Like the honeycomb cereal. (yeah, maybe thats just a memory of breakfast and not part of the game, 6 year olds don't try and commit things to memory, it just happens :P) The third boss on the desert planet was a dragon or prey-mantis inside a cave.

The third planet was an ice planet. Its first boss was this HUGE robot with OMFG-I-JUST-DIED huge laser beams of death.

IIRC there were 7 or 9 planets in total, but that first boss on the third planet was the furthest anyone in my family got.

So, any clue? Not remembering what this game was is bugging me so much. Normally I would have the CD (I have most of my old game CD's, even from that long ago) but I was 6. As a 6 year old I did not know that CD's do not bend. That game CD is how I learned that CD's do not bend. *cries*
Quote from: Vilien
Yes, you should always apply more magma.

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Okay I'm trying to think of a game that may or may not have become vaporware.  I first saw this game sometime between late 2001-2003.  It was touted as an upcoming high fantasy 3rd-person 3D MMORPG, I believe.

I only remember one part of the trailer which was just a pre-rendered CG movie (not game-play).  It showed a side view two powerful warriors walking through a dark cavern toward each other.  The lighting effects were really cool with each warrior carrying a torch to light their way.  I believe that the two warriors began to fight each other, and there was a huge, awesome-looking dragon that came at the end of the fight.

I don't think it was being developed in the USA, it was European or Russian I believe.  I forgot the name of the game and don't know what became of it, but would really like to know what happened to it since it appeared to have a lot of potential.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 204