Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 204

Author Topic: The "Forgotten the name of this game?" thread. Ask here to prevent clutter.  (Read 375950 times)

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
Re: The "Forgotten the name of this game?" thread. Ask here to prevent clutter.
« Reply #165 on: February 14, 2010, 12:59:32 am »

I remember this freeware game, it was a totally mindless giant-ass top-town battle with spaceships. The only buttons were to turn,and to stop shooting and moving since you fired and moved forward all the time if you didn't push that. You controlled one ship on your side. There were 4 sides, all different colors. Your ship was yellow. When your ship died, you took control of another ship on your side. The smaller ships were faster but fired less frequently and didn't take many shotss to die. The bigger ships had more health and fired fast but handled like shit. If one side got low on ships, more spawned until they ran out of ships. As a side did worse and as time went on, more of the bigger ships spawned, if I remember correctly.

For some reason, I remember a number 4 in the name, although I could be wrong about that. I think I downloaded the game like 3 or 4 years ago or something thereabouts, maybe more, maybe less, but this one's been around for a few years. I would love to play it again, I remember having a lot of fun playing it when I was younger.

Never heard of it, but it sounds awesome.

Anyways, I have a game. PSone, it was a fighting game between creatures, and they all had special powers. Like there was a blue one, and I think one of them could make spawn of something. It was fun.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: February 14, 2010, 06:07:38 am »

Old DOS game. Fantasy setting with 4 worlds, you'd have an army and you'd go around taking over various castles. If you didn't leave an occupying force in a castle, it would get taken over by monsters. Combat was square grid, and ghosts were dangerous, as if you killed too many people in a fight, they'd get too big and you'd lose control of them.

ETA: it came out around the same time as the original Pirates game, 94-95 at the latest.

Sounds suspiciously like King's Bounty. It's available on abandonia too.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 06:09:18 am by olemars »

dwr

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: February 15, 2010, 05:55:15 pm »

Old DOS game. Fantasy setting with 4 worlds, you'd have an army and you'd go around taking over various castles. If you didn't leave an occupying force in a castle, it would get taken over by monsters. Combat was square grid, and ghosts were dangerous, as if you killed too many people in a fight, they'd get too big and you'd lose control of them.

ETA: it came out around the same time as the original Pirates game, 94-95 at the latest.

Sounds suspiciously like King's Bounty. It's available on abandonia too.

That looks like it. Yay!

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: February 16, 2010, 04:47:24 pm »

i remember an older game that was fantasy, played like a roguelike but was first person. it had a huge (random/procedurely generated?) labrynth.

you created a character that could be one of many races (the choice affected things like how high up your point of view was amoung other things, i remember that was one of it's selling points in the game description)

you chose a class by joining that guild (monk guild, ninja guild, ect) you could choose a new class at the guild hub any time you were there and you wouldent lose your previous class levels.

i remember it because i got fairly high level as a monk but then the guild required me to find a specific artifact and bring it back. an npc in the town that identifies items had an item finding service thing and it kept telling me some arch demon 10 floors or so under the deepest i had made it had it. sooo... i kinda got stuck.

one of the games features was that you could play it with friends in real time but it didnt seem well implimented. 10 internets to the one who finds the name for me
My current project: Playing through might and magic 6 and posting the videos on youtube.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=136329.msg5003966#msg5003966

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
  • Oblivisci tempta quod didicisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: February 16, 2010, 04:49:45 pm »

i remember an older game that was fantasy, played like a roguelike but was first person. it had a huge (random/procedurely generated?) labrynth.

you created a character that could be one of many races (the choice affected things like how high up your point of view was amoung other things, i remember that was one of it's selling points in the game description)

you chose a class by joining that guild (monk guild, ninja guild, ect) you could choose a new class at the guild hub any time you were there and you wouldent lose your previous class levels.

i remember it because i got fairly high level as a monk but then the guild required me to find a specific artifact and bring it back. an npc in the town that identifies items had an item finding service thing and it kept telling me some arch demon 10 floors or so under the deepest i had made it had it. sooo... i kinda got stuck.

one of the games features was that you could play it with friends in real time but it didnt seem well implimented. 10 internets to the one who finds the name for me

Apart from some details, this sounds like Mordor.
Quote from: Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*
Third, stop listening when you should be fighting.

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: February 16, 2010, 05:10:22 pm »

Apart from some details, this sounds like Mordor.

Reading up on Mordor a little bit, i realise its not the same game, you cannot have more than one character per player in this one, people played together over a network

-edit: the game had 3-d graphics though dated now. i remember in one of the dungeon layers there was groups of many slaves and a slave master (bunch of little guys and one big guy with a large club i think it was) lower than that was a huge underground lake (which you could explore in the water as well) didnt get very far in there for the lack of the ability to breath water

-edit 2: i use the term "roguelike" but the game never did, nor did anyone who talked about it on the internet. it played like a roguelike though. it may not have been 3-d but rather fake 3-d. if it helps it was a retail game and not free/ open source. my memory is really bad for stuff like this.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 08:57:58 pm by cganya »
My current project: Playing through might and magic 6 and posting the videos on youtube.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 16, 2010, 09:37:13 pm »

Ooh...   Well, I haven't played it, but there's a chance it might be Daggerfall.  Procedurally generated dungeons are a common roguelike characteristic.

Other than that, the only thing I can suggest is Ultima: Underworld...  Although I somehow doubt it's the right thing.

Regardless, it sounds like fun.  Hope you find it.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 16, 2010, 09:49:45 pm »

It does not sound like Daggerfall, which has in fact been released for free. As-is though.

(I say that 'cause there aren't monk nor ninja guilds, nor slaver quests)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 09:55:38 pm by CobaltKobold »
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 16, 2010, 09:58:12 pm »

Ooh...   Well, I haven't played it, but there's a chance it might be Daggerfall.  Procedurally generated dungeons are a common roguelike characteristic.

Other than that, the only thing I can suggest is Ultima: Underworld...  Although I somehow doubt it's the right thing.

Regardless, it sounds like fun.  Hope you find it.

deffinatly not daggerfall, newer i think. it was first person but still grid based. ever play D&D eternal sun? the indoor parts were very simular, same movement feel

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 16, 2010, 10:54:59 pm »

there were not any guilds in Ultima Underworld, nor could you be anything but human, i dont think.

the height / race / classless guild joining stuff sounds like a TES game, Arena / Daggerfall / Morrowind.  I never played Battlespire, maybe it was that?

But it might be a hard hunt.  there were fucktons of games like this, but I'll try and drop a few names for you to look up.  Lands of Lore (series).  Wizardry (series).  Eye of the Beholder (series). Gold Box Games (different TSR games using a similar game engine).  Might and Magic (series, not to be confused with HoMM).

I'm sure there are more, and some of those probably fail some of your criteria.  I can think of others, but all the others that are coming to mind explicitly dont match something you described.  The multiplayer thing is sort of throwing me off, though.  I know its a feature that lots of games had, but that I never payed much attention to.

Was it internet multiplayer?  direct modem dial?  LAN based? did you have to hook up a serial or parallel cabel between your computers?  Was this on an Atari ST using MIDI cables? 
Did you just whistle into a phone and your friend would whistle back based on what his character was doing?

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: February 16, 2010, 11:10:06 pm »

there were not any guilds in Ultima Underworld, nor could you be anything but human, i dont think.

the height / race / classless guild joining stuff sounds like a TES game, Arena / Daggerfall / Morrowind.  I never played Battlespire, maybe it was that?

But it might be a hard hunt.  there were fucktons of games like this, but I'll try and drop a few names for you to look up.  Lands of Lore (series).  Wizardry (series).  Eye of the Beholder (series). Gold Box Games (different TSR games using a similar game engine).  Might and Magic (series, not to be confused with HoMM).

I'm sure there are more, and some of those probably fail some of your criteria.  I can think of others, but all the others that are coming to mind explicitly dont match something you described.  The multiplayer thing is sort of throwing me off, though.  I know its a feature that lots of games had, but that I never payed much attention to.

Was it internet multiplayer?  direct modem dial?  LAN based? did you have to hook up a serial or parallel cabel between your computers?  Was this on an Atari ST using MIDI cables? 
Did you just whistle into a phone and your friend would whistle back based on what his character was doing?

i wish i could say for sure some of these things, i will try:

you were not classless. you gained exp for your specific class that you were but you could change your class at the hub town (in the guild hall). the hub town was diffrent from the main game, it wasent first person but more like the hub town in shining in the darkness.

as for the multiplayer, it was weird, i think it was lan/ip based, you could see the other player(s) in the game but you couldent interact with them except for tradeing (maybe we just didnt know how to...). i think it had a desync problem but i cant recall.

i will try looking up those series.

this is really bugging me arrgh it could even be on my dead laptop as we speak but its dead >.<

i do remember seeing it in the store which prompted me to look into it online. i've gone through home of the under dogs with no luck.

is there a list online i could look through?

-edit: i do remember that there was old style 3d models for the enemies, like polygons with textures. but thats it for tonight, my wife is calling me to the bed.. this will haunt me to my grave though x.x
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 11:24:54 pm by cganya »

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 17, 2010, 12:26:44 pm »

man, the 3d polygon graphics rules out damn near everything.  most games of the era had 3d dungeons with 2d sprite monsters, like in Doom or like in Ultima Underworld, or Daggerfall.

The "ninja" class really had me thinking of Wizardry, but those always had parties and I dont think they had 3d monsters.

I never played BattleSpire, so I dont know if it violates some of your criteria.  I do know it had cooperative multiplayer, no parties, first person 3d, and variable view height based on your race.  Might check out some screens from it and see if it looks familair:  http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&safe=off&q=battlespire&oq=&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=PiV8S-CVC4a6swOvkcm8Cw&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CBQQsAQwAA

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: February 17, 2010, 01:08:43 pm »

man, the 3d polygon graphics rules out damn near everything.  most games of the era had 3d dungeons with 2d sprite monsters, like in Doom or like in Ultima Underworld, or Daggerfall.

The "ninja" class really had me thinking of Wizardry, but those always had parties and I dont think they had 3d monsters.

I never played BattleSpire, so I dont know if it violates some of your criteria.  I do know it had cooperative multiplayer, no parties, first person 3d, and variable view height based on your race.  Might check out some screens from it and see if it looks familair:  http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&safe=off&q=battlespire&oq=&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=PiV8S-CVC4a6swOvkcm8Cw&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CBQQsAQwAA

i'm sorry but its just not the game i'm looking for. the game's movement is restricted to the grid (if you press forward you walk one square forward, if you press left you turn 90 degrees left). the more i remember the more i want this game. it was alot like a 3-d nethack,, it had an auto map as well but i dont remember it being all that detailed, just noted where stairs, walls and doors were and what they were made of (grey stone, brown stone, sand, water, ect)

on a side note, it looks like battlespire uses the same engine as might an magic 6/7, intresting tidbit since i grew up on M&M 6 and later 7

-edit: damn my memory, i'm sure the game had 3-d polygon creatures but maybe i'm wrong?

i remember that if you died you could make a new character and find your corpse along with your stuff. i dont think i ever did that though
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 01:11:30 pm by cganya »

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: February 17, 2010, 02:13:30 pm »

The guild bits sort of remind me of Wizards and Warriors. But I don't think that had anything randomly generated.

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: February 17, 2010, 02:18:04 pm »

The guild bits sort of remind me of Wizards and Warriors. But I don't think that had anything randomly generated.

the closest you ever get to "outside" aside from going to the town is that you can see the sky and (if i remember correctly) rain on the first and second floors of the dungeon
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 204