Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 171

Author Topic: Haven and Hearth  (Read 209861 times)

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Haven and Hearth
« Reply #2100 on: August 03, 2009, 02:52:26 am »

Antioch, there are theft clues all over your house (and a hole in one wall). I cant get to them without tresspassing though.
<@Poltifar> yeah i've played life for almost 23 years
<@Poltifar> i specced myself into a corner, i should just reroll
<@Akroma> eh
<@Akroma> just play the minigames until your subscription runs out

KoE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2101 on: August 03, 2009, 03:14:36 am »

Alright, I can't take this anymore. I've literally got bear bangers infesting my place like some horrible infestation of delicious meats, and there's no way I want to eat them all. I've got enough that I don't think anybody's ever going to want all of them, and in some ways I suppose it's a security risk (though not as bad as beer).

If anybody wants them (they're 50 straight STR FEP), I'm quite willing to trade them, though what I specifically want is quite narrow. Namely, I'll trade 1 banger for 5 carrot cakes (as per some dealings I've had with Goran in the past) or 1 banger for 1 slice of jorbonzola. The latter's somewhat negotiable as I'm not sure how valuable either product really is (living in a bear-plentiful area and not worrying too much about mass cheese production).

I'd prefer not to deal in metals or silk (though the former I'll probably accept as coins if we can work out a price) as I've got plenty of one and no use for the other.

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2102 on: August 03, 2009, 03:17:16 am »

Thanks to DJ's loan of a hat (thanks again, DJ) I'm now in possession of my first wrought iron bars; 9 bars, to be precise.  I'm curious... 

Looking at it, it would appear that, with a relatively minimal extra effort over the next 3 days, I could change those wrought iron bars into steel bars, and get plate mail instead of chain mail. 

My question is, is the extra effort worth it?  And if so, where should I put my crucibles where they'll at least be minimally 'safe' (note that I have no substantial walls and no cabin at the moment).  A PM for that last question would be helpful.

Oh, and KoE, I've probably got 10 carrot cakes lying around that I'd be willing to trade you for those bear bangers.
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Delamore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2103 on: August 03, 2009, 03:21:40 am »

Looking at it, it would appear that, with a relatively minimal extra effort over the next 3 days, I could change those wrought iron bars into steel bars, and get plate mail instead of chain mail. 

Only if you plan to hunt things that deal damage below your total soak (The left value)
For example plate has 6 soak, so as long as creatures deal less than 6 damage none will be done to the HP, so combine all your armors total soak and only use it for creatures that deal equal or less damage to avoid HP loss.
The only other use is PVP.

Edit
By Hp I mean armor health.

Also the guy with the bangers, you set a price and I'll buy them with steel coins.

KoE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2104 on: August 03, 2009, 03:59:16 am »

Well, an apparent server crash just ate a log, some cheese, and magically converted a large number of bangers back into its constituent bear-and-boar parts. I am quite unamused.

Frelock - I'll take you up on that, though it's going to be a couple of days as I'm gonna be away from my H&H-able computer tomorrow. Delamore, I'll consider it - mostly pending if I can find someone willing to barter steel for what I want. (Wrought almost seems more valuable now, though I haven't been on the trading scene much.)

Anyway, with regards to platemail; I'd recommend going for it. The effort, if you can stay logged in at the right intervals, is as you said quite minimal. Del's right, too, but sometimes it doesn't hurt to have the best. (Especially as steel stuff has quite a lot of HP).

It's worth noting, though, that steel can be a bit of a gripe with the recent frequent server crashes. I believe it's screwed over my production two or three times now. If you can check in fairly frequently to keep it topped off, it's doable.

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2105 on: August 03, 2009, 04:20:38 am »

Antioch, there are theft clues all over your house (and a hole in one wall). I cant get to them without tresspassing though.

ugh, not again.....

I will set my claim to allow kin.....

wow, i have been seriously robbed, they almost took all my stuff, THEY EVEN TOOK MY CHESTS

ok I have lots of theft clues, can someone help me kill the thief?

further update: I found my chests, they were just pulled out of the claim to leave no clues....probably alt abuse
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 04:36:15 am by Antioch »
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2106 on: August 03, 2009, 04:45:28 pm »

There's a new image of the map.  And despite the fact that I've quit for now, it seems that my forest is the best man-made forest.  =D

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2107 on: August 04, 2009, 02:46:26 am »

Argh, curse you, frequent crashes, CURSE YOU!

I probably lost this steel batch too. I'll never get enough for a battleaxe :(
<@Poltifar> yeah i've played life for almost 23 years
<@Poltifar> i specced myself into a corner, i should just reroll
<@Akroma> eh
<@Akroma> just play the minigames until your subscription runs out

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2108 on: August 04, 2009, 06:45:20 am »

Hey guys, I'm thinking about making a recruitment thread at the H&H forums. The activity in Bottleneck seems to be dwindling, so we could use some fresh blood. And I figure we'll be pretty safe from would-be infiltrators, as all our valuables are on walled private properties, so village membership won't do them much good. Sure, we may lose some leather and intestines from the stockpile, but I think the potential pay-off is worth the risk. That, and now that pathfinding has been implemented the map reset is just around the corner, so this is probably the best opportunity to give public recruitment a test drive.

Is anyone opposed to this?
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Hamel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2109 on: August 04, 2009, 10:51:41 am »

Hey guys, I'm thinking about making a recruitment thread at the H&H forums. The activity in Bottleneck seems to be dwindling, so we could use some fresh blood. And I figure we'll be pretty safe from would-be infiltrators, as all our valuables are on walled private properties, so village membership won't do them much good. Sure, we may lose some leather and intestines from the stockpile, but I think the potential pay-off is worth the risk. That, and now that pathfinding has been implemented the map reset is just around the corner, so this is probably the best opportunity to give public recruitment a test drive.

Is anyone opposed to this?

Sounds like a good idea to me. I haven't been on much lately, so you might have to do most of the swearing in. Encourage them to settle in the northern sections of town, we have plenty of room up there.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2110 on: August 04, 2009, 12:42:00 pm »

Dangit, DJ brought it up before I did. Jorb said that with pathfinding in, he's working on mapgen stuff in the next dev session.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

KoE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2111 on: August 04, 2009, 06:55:32 pm »

Yeah, I've noticed my kinlist has been dwindling in terms of people who've been on within the last few days. I'm pondering setting things aside until the frequent crashes get better myself, as my steel and cheesemaking operations have ground to a halt. (Not to mention, I've turned all my bear into sausage twice now only to find it back in raw meat format next time I login.)

Public recruitment sounds like a fine enough idea to me.

Delamore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2112 on: August 04, 2009, 11:27:57 pm »

You could make a fresh thread that has alot of information in the OP and shows off the game, and then advertise in IRC.

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2113 on: August 05, 2009, 04:27:43 am »

Who's responsible for the mess in the former brewery? There's runestones all over, and a hearth too...

/e: Info btw: I have reclaimed my old cabin.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 07:37:02 am by Errol »
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2114 on: August 05, 2009, 06:21:37 am »

OK, I went ahead and posted the recruitment thread at Inn of Brodgar. If there's something in it you'd like to change, now's the time to speak.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 171