Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 171

Author Topic: Haven and Hearth  (Read 209836 times)

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Haven and Hearth
« Reply #2130 on: August 07, 2009, 04:09:33 am »

Thanks for the candleabra! But isnt it just too easy to steal them when they are placed in public places outside of claims? (Or are they just too worthless to steal?)

EDIT: Also, how long does a candle burn in a candleabra? It would be annoying to 'refuel' the thing every few hours.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 04:38:33 am by Poltifar »
<@Poltifar> yeah i've played life for almost 23 years
<@Poltifar> i specced myself into a corner, i should just reroll
<@Akroma> eh
<@Akroma> just play the minigames until your subscription runs out

KoE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2131 on: August 07, 2009, 05:01:19 am »

It burns at least through your average night-time - probably a fair bit longer. I've honestly never timed it. If pressed to give an answer, I'd probably guess they'd probably need daily replacing to serve as effective street lamps at night. Which, in retrospect, makes me realize it might not be all that feasible to keep all of Bottleneck lit - I suppose it bears testing. I could also swear I read something about them acting strangely with server crashes - being completely used up instead of just being turned off - but I could have just imagined that.

As far as stealing goes, they cost 2 cast iron and are liftable objects. I suppose if someone was really intent on griefing, they might walk off with one, but there's very little pay-off. It's about like stealing a butter churn or something.

Delamore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2132 on: August 07, 2009, 05:05:37 am »

It burns at least through your average night-time - probably a fair bit longer. I've honestly never timed it. If pressed to give an answer, I'd probably guess they'd probably need daily replacing to serve as effective street lamps at night. Which, in retrospect, makes me realize it might not be all that feasible to keep all of Bottleneck lit - I suppose it bears testing. I could also swear I read something about them acting strangely with server crashes - being completely used up instead of just being turned off - but I could have just imagined that.

As far as stealing goes, they cost 2 cast iron and are liftable objects. I suppose if someone was really intent on griefing, they might walk off with one, but there's very little pay-off. It's about like stealing a butter churn or something.
http://www.havenandhearth.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1310

kholhaus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pissed and Inspired
    • View Profile
« Reply #2133 on: August 07, 2009, 05:48:20 am »

I've been watching bits and pieces of this thread, and long ago I started an account on H&H because I didn't understand the mechanics. But you say you've started a town, mmh?

I'd like to join your little community if anyone's willing to bring me from brodgar. Or atleast give directions.  :P
Kholhaus has been inspired recently.
Kholhaus has lost a favorite to tragedy recently.

zarmazarma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2134 on: August 07, 2009, 05:48:39 am »

Can't figure out how to do anything, I'm sitting there trying to build just about anything- I always get the 'this area contains no building materials' even if I have whatever it needs in my inventory. I've tried it on the ground too. Moving is painfully slow.

KoE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2135 on: August 07, 2009, 05:54:16 am »

Kholhaus - http://www.maplib.net/map.php?id=5732 should give you a hand here. Bottleneck's marked on there, so if you can navigate by your minimap, you should be able to follow the roads. Maybe. Or, you can post your in-game name and perhaps Potjeh (DJ) or Hamel can hook you up with village membership so you can log in from our idol.

zarmazarma - You need to put items into the building you're trying to build, either by drag-and-drop onto the UI that the sign pops up, or by shift-clicking said items until the Y in the 'X/Y/Z' changes. As for run speed, you can press Control R to change speeds (crawl -> walk -> power-walk -> sprint). This is also accomplished by pressing the little yellow men underneath the blue bar on the UI.

zarmazarma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2136 on: August 07, 2009, 05:57:28 am »

I'll try that for building, as for running, you can barely ever have it at full sprint because after a few seconds you run out of stamina. I have it on the third one, that's still painfully slow for me.

Yay, I built stuff.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 05:59:37 am by zarmazarma »

KoE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2137 on: August 07, 2009, 06:00:50 am »

Eh, I guess I'm used to it. And yeah, sprinting is borderline useless, really only good as a means to lose stamina and get the last bit of distance in a mad dash from a marauding fox/bear/whatever.

kholhaus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pissed and Inspired
    • View Profile
« Reply #2138 on: August 07, 2009, 06:02:12 am »

That map raises a question...

Why did the goons mass migrate north when all the newbies are amassed in the central area? It doesn't make goon-sense.

And again, hmm. Bottleneck seems like quite the trek. Prepare a bed for me.  ;D
Kholhaus has been inspired recently.
Kholhaus has lost a favorite to tragedy recently.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2139 on: August 07, 2009, 06:42:20 am »

Many of the goons seem to be just like the rest of us normal players. Most sites this game gets posted on will likely attract both good and bad players. Originally they did settle much closer to the ring but then some thieves who lived with them got attacked by a group from one of the larger settlements and there was some collateral damage causing them to move far away. You can login at the ring no mater where you live anyway.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2140 on: August 07, 2009, 07:17:38 am »

Goons were victims of a genocide. When they first came to the game, they formed a village under leadership of JTG, a longtime griefer and asshole. Reading through their H&H thread I learned that JTG left a battery clue when he knocked out a fellow goon near goontown. So I harvested that clue and a multi-town execution party was formed to kill JTG's character. Later on I got killed for my effort, but was quickly avenged.

As goons all had new and thus weak characters, they were left defenceless and some people with a grudge against them (not an unfounded one, as a couple of goons led by JTG went on a griefing campaign using Goontown as their base) seized the opportunity to kill goons indiscriminately. Though the griefers were killed in this genocide, most of the killed were innocent victims. Anyway, after this incident the goons relocated to the edge of map because they feared for their safety (not an unfounded fear, seeing how they were subjected to genocide). They have since severed their ties with JTG. Delamore, a much more reasonable man, is now their leader.

By my subjective estimate, goons still have proportionately more criminals than other factions, but this is still nowhere near majority. I've traded with some of the goons on numerous occasions, and the trade always went smoothly. This leads me to believe that most of them are honest players, so you should judge them on individual basis, not by their affiliation.

That's it for today's history lesson. Now on to immigration. If you are near or in Bottleneck, go to our village idol, I'll come there in a minute. If you're not near, wait for me at Ring of Brodgar. Just make sure to tell me your character's name and to confirm you are indeed online so I don't stand around waiting for you if you're not coming.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Delamore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2141 on: August 07, 2009, 08:34:29 am »

Goons were victims of a genocide. When they first came to the game, they formed a village under leadership of JTG, a longtime griefer and asshole. Reading through their H&H thread I learned that JTG left a battery clue when he knocked out a fellow goon near goontown. So I harvested that clue and a multi-town execution party was formed to kill JTG's character. Later on I got killed for my effort, but was quickly avenged.
One of those towns hired someone to kill every single goon too, lucky it did not happen.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2142 on: August 07, 2009, 09:02:41 am »

An Immigrant has arrived at Bottleneck...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2143 on: August 07, 2009, 09:44:39 am »

Are you at Bottleneck proper? If so, come to the village idol. If not, be at RoB. Reply so I know you're online, and tell me your character's name.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Cajoes

• Bay Watcher
  • "I'm a damn cat."
    • View Profile
    • http://none
« Reply #2144 on: August 07, 2009, 01:51:00 pm »

Who's responsible for the mess in the former brewery? There's runestones all over, and a hearth too...

/e: Info btw: I have reclaimed my old cabin.

I was informed a thief had taken up squatting in the abandoned facility. So I decided to inconvenience him. :3
Quote from: Roman Proverb
Do not argue against the sun. For it is a lot brighter than you are.
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 171