Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 269 270 [271] 272 273 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2422112 times)

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft: Like Infiniminer but in Java and in Alpha
« Reply #4050 on: September 13, 2010, 01:33:41 am »

My trapdoor example didn't include separate solid door panels. Stop making it more complicated than it needs to be. If you want to talk about trapdoors with actual solid doors instead of my example that is essentially just toggling the clipping of a block then go ahead, but don't put words in my mouth.

A simple tile that vanishes would be fairly inconsistent with the current door structure. Not to mention disorientating - open a trapdoor, and it ceases to exist entirely? That'd be pretty weird. Sure, Notch could throw together a feature that feels largely unfinished and slapshod for no particular reason, but don't try and tell me it'll earn him lots of money to do so. Never mind the fact that financial arguments haven't been a big motivator for Notch in the first place (there's a reason the game's still 50% off, after all!.

I'm sorry if you feel like I'm "putting words in your mouth", but please, don't demand a half-finished feature, insult Notch for not implementing it as a "5 minute code job" (before even formally suggesting it to him, no less!), and rant about how Notch has to do this because it's a "wildly popular game" and would bring in "thousands of dollars in increased sales".

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
« Reply #4051 on: September 13, 2010, 03:11:03 am »

A simple tile that vanishes would be fairly inconsistent with the current door structure.

It doesn't vanish it merely changes it's appearance to give the illusion that it has opened its "doors" (which aren't actually separate entities with their own hitbox). It would look fine, activate the same as doors (right click or redstone activate), and would be more functional than much of the new content he's implemented.

don't try and tell me it'll earn him lots of money to do so.

Implementing quick stuff like this is definitely easy money and it would be would be monetarily worth hiring a dev just to add stuff like this. Add a few more mini mechanical features and all of a sudden you widen the games audience to all the people that want more detailed engineering (entire communities like WireMod).

Never mind the fact that financial arguments haven't been a big motivator for Notch in the first place (there's a reason the game's still 50% off, after all!.

Could easily argue that he will overall make more money doing that, but I couldn't care less about that. If fun is more a motivator for him then I question the fun of adding "half-finished features" like milk, bookcases, papyrus, etc.

I'm sorry if you feel like I'm "putting words in your mouth",
Not feel like. You simply are. This isn't a verbal conversation where you can trick others into falsely remembering what I said.

don't demand a half-finished feature....and rant about how Notch has to do this

I demanded nothing. In fact, that was a direct quote from me only a few posts. Read or don't bother responding.

insult Notch for not implementing

Also not true. I think it's stupid not to implement ideas that are easy to code and add new functionality. You can do stupid things without being stupid. Questioning the order of his development is also not an insult.

I can only imagine the outrage if I actually said something truly negative like "Minecraft is bad." As much as all this misdirected fanboy rage amuses me it's time for bed.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4052 on: September 13, 2010, 05:54:02 am »

Note also that if a trapdoor is implemented that way you'd be able to enter from the side too.

Therefore, he'll have to code some collision stuff, and that's probably non-trivial.

PenguinOverlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4053 on: September 13, 2010, 05:06:36 pm »

I'm not even going to bother continuing with the trapdoor argument.

Has Minecraft updated today for anyone else? It insisted on downloading packages after I fired it up a minute ago, but there's nothing on the blog.

Or does Minecraft just do this kind of thing on a regular basis?
Updated for me. Removed my RPG skin. :/
CleverBot: It hurts when you laugh at me.

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #4054 on: September 13, 2010, 06:55:41 pm »

Server side inventory and chests, YES!  :D an entire weekend playing survival multiplayer on my friend's server!

Survival multiplayer is probably the best multiplayer ever.
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #4055 on: September 13, 2010, 07:29:58 pm »

Hey!  You'll never guess what this post means!

E: See later post.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 09:24:36 pm by jaybud4 »
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4056 on: September 14, 2010, 09:40:51 am »

We need to see about getting a permanent Minecraft server (if we don't already). I'd be happy to round up funds for it. 

I haven't played much of the SMP purely because you couldn't save stuff in it. But I should be popping in a lot more now.

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4057 on: September 14, 2010, 09:44:49 am »

We need to see about getting a permanent Minecraft server (if we don't already). I'd be happy to round up funds for it. 

I haven't played much of the SMP purely because you couldn't save stuff in it. But I should be popping in a lot more now.
This link isn't to PlaneHacked, our Minecraft server that is up 24/7, thank you for your understanding.
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4058 on: September 14, 2010, 09:49:27 am »

This link isn't to PlaneHacked, our Minecraft server that is up 24/7, thank you for your understanding.
That post seems a little pointle-
Waaait a minute!
Long Live United Forenia!

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4059 on: September 14, 2010, 10:06:54 am »

That post seems a little pointle-
Waaait a minute!

Aww crap forgot about that!

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4060 on: September 14, 2010, 10:09:04 am »

Did the creator ever get the issues with paypal straightened out? I'd like to donate. :D
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #4061 on: September 14, 2010, 10:18:52 am »

Did the creator ever get the issues with paypal straightened out? I'd like to donate. :D

Which creator? Planehacked or Minecraft? Because I'd be glad to make it easy for you to give me money...
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4062 on: September 14, 2010, 10:20:24 am »

Well, I originally meant Minecraft. :P ;)
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4063 on: September 14, 2010, 11:13:01 am »

My project requires a 3x3x7 obsidian obelisk. Now, I can fill the center of the obelisk with cobblestone as it will not be visible in there. This still leaves me needing to mine 56 blocks of obsidian. This does not include the minor obsidian pillars that will be scattered about.

Obsidian is hard to get!

Speaking of the project, I've begun digging the second half in depth. After that will be the Library, and that part is gonna need alot of bookcases... And there will also be obsidian arches. More obsidian.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4064 on: September 14, 2010, 11:14:05 am »

I'm sure you can make an unlimited obsidian generator. Although getting the diamond picks needed to mine the stuff is difficult.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO
Pages: 1 ... 269 270 [271] 272 273 ... 1380