Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 271 272 [273] 274 275 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2421928 times)

Eduren

• Bay Watcher
  • A new theme!
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft: Like Infiniminer but in Java and in Alpha
« Reply #4080 on: September 14, 2010, 04:41:31 pm »

Well I guess I'll stick with my plan of hauling a bucket of water down into the depths and using it to solidify lava springs for my obsidian.

I still have the worry of having pockets of magma under the obsidian layer once it's cooled though, any way of finding out how deep magma is without destroying the magma springs? I was thinking I could use the water visual glitch to see through the lava layer, but I don't know if that'll work.
Use gravel to find the depth. Since it sinks to the bottom of the magma, all you need to do is see how many blocks it takes to get to the top.

But lava pockets shouldn't be a problem, as long as you remember not to dig directly under yourself.
I don't know.  Duke wants me to stop playing mafia.
That's the sign of an abusive boyfriend, Toony... you don't have to listen to him.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #4081 on: September 14, 2010, 04:57:40 pm »

But lava pockets shouldn't be a problem, as long as you remember not to dig directly under yourself.
Except that the mined obsidian will tend to fall into the lava magma before you grab it.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Eduren

• Bay Watcher
  • A new theme!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4082 on: September 14, 2010, 05:02:30 pm »

Except that the mined obsidian will tend to fall into the lava magma before you grab it.
Oh, yeah. That would be a problem.
I don't know.  Duke wants me to stop playing mafia.
That's the sign of an abusive boyfriend, Toony... you don't have to listen to him.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #4083 on: September 14, 2010, 05:38:34 pm »

Well, you can't get injured, yet, so you might as well stand in the lava and catch the blocks as the fall.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4084 on: September 14, 2010, 05:43:46 pm »

Well, you can't get injured, yet, so you might as well stand in the lava and catch the blocks as the fall.

True, but it's plausible the block might burn up before the game let you grab it. I noticed that catching blocks out of the air is hit-or-miss (mostly miss) in SMP, in situations that it was nearly-guaranteed in SP.

I'd recommend bucketing each lava block to a safe place, and obsidianizing it there. (Yes, that's now a word.  :P) No worries about losing those precious blocks.

...or, do it the proper dwarfy way, and cast it in place. Easier on your diamond pick, harder in every other way possible.  :D

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4085 on: September 14, 2010, 07:29:46 pm »

Wouldn't that be much easier? Just dump a water block on top of what your building, and then drop lava springs where you want them in the water?

Wait, didn't buckets not work properly in SMP? Was that fixed?
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4086 on: September 14, 2010, 08:09:35 pm »

Want a project to do? Try to top this: El Castillo at Chichen Itza. Ignore the bit where he mentions an infinite lava spring - he found out a few videos later that it didn't work like he thought it did.

Just to give you a relative scale of how mind-farking huge this is, he's got a pic.
Spoiler: Pic (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 08:14:53 pm by Mephisto »

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4087 on: September 14, 2010, 09:13:00 pm »

Everyone assumes I'm in SMP, I'm not, I'm in single-player.

As for using gravel for depth, that makes me lose precious magma. I may still use it if my water globe doesn't work for me.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #4088 on: September 14, 2010, 10:09:15 pm »

Bump.  I added links to the most current Cartograph maps (which are as of this post from 4 minutes ago :P) to the Jaycraft post.
Click through the link in my sig to get to it.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #4089 on: September 14, 2010, 10:12:57 pm »

Bump.  I added links to the most current Cartograph maps (which are as of this post from 4 minutes ago :P) to the Jaycraft post.
Click through the link in my sig to get to it.
It looks great at night. :D

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4090 on: September 15, 2010, 08:31:49 am »

Alright, I've devised what is probably the best course of action for harvesting obsidian from a magma pool.

Code: [Select]
≈░≈░≈░≈
░≈░≈░≈░
≈░≈░≈░≈
░≈░≈░≈░
≈░≈░.░≈
░≈░...░
≈ = Magma
░ = Gravel
. = Staging point(empty space)

Start by dropping gravel onto the magma pool from above in the pattern shown, then create the staging area by digging off to the side. Have a bucket of water ready(preferably also creating a infinite water source nearby just in case), then start digging out gravel columns from top down and immediately solidifying the magma springs with your water, continue down the column until you reach the bottom, be sure to dig a extra square down just in case there is more magma below. Then feel free to harvest the resulting obsidian column with your diamond pickaxe. Once harvested the previous column becomes part of your staging area. Rinse and repeat the process until the entire magma pool is harvested.

Obviously no more than a 50% rate of return per magma pool unless you are lucky, if you guys have a better method please do say. I of course prefer this method as it doesn't devour iron at a 3-1 obsidian ratio via using buckets to haul the magma to a safe extraction point.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 08:34:37 am by SHAD0Wdump »

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4091 on: September 15, 2010, 08:36:33 am »

like somebody said earlier, just move the magma with buckets.

take magma, put into a 1x1 pool, solidify, harvest, repeat. no magma lost, works with any pool depth.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4092 on: September 15, 2010, 08:38:21 am »

like somebody said earlier, just move the magma with buckets.

take magma, put into a 1x1 pool, solidify, harvest, repeat. no magma lost, works with any pool depth.
I of course prefer this method as it doesn't devour iron at a 3-1 obsidian ratio via using buckets to haul the magma to a safe extraction point.
Ya ninja'd too recklessly.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4093 on: September 15, 2010, 09:26:44 am »

Obviously no more than a 50% rate of return per magma pool unless you are lucky, if you guys have a better method please do say. I of course prefer this method as it doesn't devour iron at a 3-1 obsidian ratio via using buckets to haul the magma to a safe extraction point.
Buckets are lost when transporting magma? What?
After you empty the bucket you can use it again.
Can't you?
Long Live United Forenia!

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4094 on: September 15, 2010, 09:42:41 am »

Buckets are lost when transporting magma? What?
After you empty the bucket you can use it again.
Can't you?
Actually, I've never tested, I have heard that Notch plans to make the bucket melt after placing magma though...

Maybe I got that thought mostly from people saying that you lose the bucket if you put magma in a furnace.
Pages: 1 ... 271 272 [273] 274 275 ... 1380