Not even close.
- 391 (73.4%)
Almost . . . but didn't
- 26 (4.9%)
Maybe managed halfway
- 51 (9.6%)

Total Members Voted: 530

Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 128

Author Topic: Nethack  (Read 175645 times)

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
Re: Nethack
« Reply #1080 on: January 23, 2010, 09:34:45 pm »

DOUBLE DAMAGE WHEN SLUNG

If the toggle-arts had shorter invoke times...
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: January 23, 2010, 09:40:37 pm »

I'll admit that the slotless levitation, if used strategically, could prove to be very useful, especially since there seems to be no time limit on it.

However, since I can't go down stairs while levitating, and I can't invoke it repeated, it's utility is limited.

Though, I'll have to use it since I have no other sources of levitation. Imagine the luck!

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: January 30, 2010, 04:46:35 pm »

I've just tried NetHack again an am having my best Knight run so far, with some pretty lucky moments on the way down to dlvl 12. I've completed Sokoban and got the Bag, I decided not to backtrack and to ignore mines end in order to preserve precious apples and carrots. That was probably a bad idea because without the luckstone my lance broke. I did however find an epically enchanted +5 pair of iron shoes on a dead dwarf in the upper mines. That early addition of +7 AC allowed me to steamroll through the early levels. I am currently on character level 10. After my lance broke my primary weapon is a +4 Excalibur.

I've found the quest portal but I probably need a lot more resistance to take it on. AC -9 wont cut it.

I hope I can find a new lance and a luckstone in Ludios. I have no idea what I'll use my wishes for if i make it that far.

My pets so far are pretty epic. I ridden two warhorses to death already and am down to my last apple on the third one. Also I have a Large Housecat with almost 100 max hp and a Killer Bee and Chickatrice from eggs.

I was hoping it would be possible to mount a cockatrice but apparently you can't do that.

I'm looking forward to maybe finally managing to tame a dragon. Is it possible to wish for a tame silver dragon? Or for a pile of scrolls of charm creature?

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: January 30, 2010, 06:06:03 pm »

you probably want "blessed figurine of _"- though, e'en then you only get 80% chance of tame.
Yes, you ould get a pile of scrolls of tame monster.
Or, you could get a blessed spellbook of charm monster- though, it sounds like your failure rate's going to be too high.
Magic...Harp? can tame things too, though it might have a Dex requirement, I forget. look it up on wikihack.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
Tilesets

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: January 31, 2010, 01:25:46 am »

If you're willing to give up your pets, you could polymorph them. A polymorph trap would be perfect (and a good excuse to go through the mines), since the result of polymorphing pets over and over is pretty much always a Grey Dragon since they're polymorph resistant. MR is perfect since I think your reflection will cover your mount as well. Dragons hit hard, fly, and can get really high level but be warned: Relative to horses, dragons are really, really slow. If you have a wish you want to burn, wish for a blessed figurine of a ki-rin. They're fast, hit hard, and fly. They don't eat, but since you're a knight, you don't care.

I still think the perfect mount is a centaur with a shield of reflection, a good artifact weapon, an amulet of life saving, and a full set of armor. They hit really hard, move very fast, and depending on their equipment, might have their own set of resistances. Of course, it's always hard to enchant a second set of equipment, tame a centaur, get another saddle, and get the little fucker to actually pick up and use the shit you drop for him.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: January 31, 2010, 05:43:03 am »

RIP Zygfyrd the Knight. Killed by a mumak. It chopped off 60 hp in one turn of 1v1 combat and I was supposed to be having extra luck at the moment :P . One of the most unsatisfying way to die in NetHack is to get pwned outright 1v1 by a monster you have seldom yet encountered, and when you did it was a cakewalk(at least for barbarians).

Oh well, maybe I'll try a rouge, caveman or priest next.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: January 31, 2010, 06:05:55 am »

Mumaks are heavy hitters that can hit you multiple times. Facing one in melee with sub-par AC is suicide.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: January 31, 2010, 07:40:52 am »

Mumaks however are very slow so you can simply count the turns and do a hit and run, or use ranged weapons.

One of my early victories vs a mumak is in the gnomish mines... I ran away, then dug two rows of holes on the ground. I collected a huge stack of stones, then went back and lured the mumak back there. The mumak got stuck in the holes while I slowly stoned it to death. :D

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: January 31, 2010, 12:28:44 pm »

Mumaks are heavy hitters that can hit you multiple times. Facing one in melee with sub-par AC is suicide.
This is pretty much true of all q, though you're probably not going to get problems from Rothes.
Tilesets

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: January 31, 2010, 07:58:46 pm »

This is pretty much true of all q, though you're probably not going to get problems from Rothes.

However rothes almost always appear in groups, and they appear early, so they can be quite deadly for some classes.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: January 31, 2010, 08:06:37 pm »

9/10 times if you get surrounded it's your fault.

Also, Owlbreath.
Tilesets

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: January 31, 2010, 11:34:56 pm »

Rothes aren't an issue unless you're already low on health or power, but then again, what isn't?
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: February 28, 2010, 11:23:46 pm »

Bump.

I just started today. Got killed like 7 times in 30 minutes. Once by eating a newt corpse, (now I know not to) once got zapped for kicking down a shopkeeper's door, drank from a well and snakes popped out and poisoned me, rolling boulder, water demon or something, and creature encounters.

I can't decide whether I love or hate this game. It's more unforgivable than DF.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: February 28, 2010, 11:45:44 pm »

Got killed like 7 times in 30 minutes. Once by eating a newt corpse

Never eat corpses lying on the ground that you didn't just create... corpses rot, and will kill you via food poisoning.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: March 01, 2010, 12:15:16 am »

It was a fresh corpse, I had literally just killed it.

I think it was poisonous because it was a newt, not because it was rotten.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 128