Not even close.
- 391 (73.4%)
Almost . . . but didn't
- 26 (4.9%)
Maybe managed halfway
- 51 (9.6%)

Total Members Voted: 530

Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 128

Author Topic: Nethack  (Read 175622 times)

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nethack
« Reply #1110 on: March 04, 2010, 08:36:02 pm »

Holding a key is generally not considered to be a good idea.
Thats very true.

But it's still a very cheap way to kill the player.
There is a key for "travel down the hallway untill you find something interesting/new"
but it's rather obnoxious.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: March 04, 2010, 08:55:29 pm »

CoD, if you die for not watching where you're going, as far as I'm concerned, that's your own fault. Don't play Nethack and then complain about how easily you die. That's the spirit of the game. If you don't like it, don't play it.
Thats just the thing. I DO like the game. ALOT. I have wasted much of my life playing it.

That doesn't mean that I dont have any complaints. In most rogues I dont mind deaths based on stupid moves or even just bad luck for that matter.

But one thing I cant stand are deaths caused by the interface of the game. You cant just say "but thats the spirit of the game" everytime you run into a design flaw. You can say that when the game screws you in a relatively legit manner, but eventually you're going to have to ask yourself where the "fun" ends and the bad game design comes in.

The line needs to be drawn somewhere, you know?

There is a key for "travel down the hallway untill you find something interesting/new"
Never knew about that. Im not sure if your just talking about run or some game feature Ive never noticed. I just know that "run" dosen't always work and can be quite a burden when dwarfs have dug out the walls of a level.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: March 04, 2010, 08:58:47 pm »

CoD, if you die for not watching where you're going, as far as I'm concerned, that's your own fault. Don't play Nethack and then complain about how easily you die. That's the spirit of the game. If you don't like it, don't play it.
But one thing I cant stand are deaths caused by the interface of the game. You cant just say "but thats the spirit of the game" everytime you run into a design flaw. You can say that when the game screws you in a relatively legit manner, but eventually you're going to have to ask yourself where the "fun" ends and the bad game design comes in.

The line needs to be drawn somewhere, you know?

Fair enough.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: March 04, 2010, 09:30:55 pm »

Never knew about that. Im not sure if your just talking about run or some game feature Ive never noticed. I just know that "run" dosen't always work and can be quite a burden when dwarfs have dug out the walls of a level.

Time to read the guidebook then... there are several commands to move quickly and optionally stop when something interesting happens.

M and _ are the ones I use most frequently.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
!
« Reply #1114 on: March 04, 2010, 10:10:29 pm »

I just use captial letters to "run"

HJKL FTW!
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: March 05, 2010, 06:04:59 pm »

Ohhh let's not start that.

Anyway, g or 5. _ is quite useful when going through known territory (_ > enter, _ < enter, sometimes need to > twice to get right stair)
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: March 06, 2010, 12:29:44 am »

I have never beaten it, nowhere close, but I can't vote. So add one mentally :P
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: March 06, 2010, 12:43:46 am »

Okay, so today, I started as a knight. I hate knights, and I was expecting to die early. I found a wand of wishing on dlvl2, and wished for a gray dragon scale mail, and wrested an amulet of life-saving. (Realized two minutes later that I should have wished for blessed scrolls of recharge.) By chance, found a scroll of enchant, scale mail is now +5. YASDed by hitting a floating eye (it had moved from its original spot) and was killed and revived. Beat off my attackers, and hit exp level 5. Proceeded to look for a fountain to dip longsword, but it became rusted from a water trap. (Argh.)

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: March 06, 2010, 01:34:09 am »

Okay, so today, I started as a knight. I hate knights, and I was expecting to die early. I found a wand of wishing on dlvl2, and wished for a gray dragon scale mail, and wrested an amulet of life-saving. (Realized two minutes later that I should have wished for blessed scrolls of recharge.) By chance, found a scroll of enchant, scale mail is now +5. YASDed by hitting a floating eye (it had moved from its original spot) and was killed and revived. Beat off my attackers, and hit exp level 5. Proceeded to look for a fountain to dip longsword, but it became rusted from a water trap. (Argh.)
I'd castigate you but my recent game started similarly foolishly (wishing, "oLS to YASD-prevent).

Excal is freed of all rust when you get it though, so don't worry.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
Tilesets

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: March 06, 2010, 01:36:39 am »

It seems that dipping a rusty longsword does not transform it, but rusts it further.

Read a cursed spellbook and got frozen. Mountain nymph proceeded to take off my magically reflective armor and unleash every wand in my arsenal at me. One of my more frustrating deaths, augmented by the fact that I hate nymphs more than any monster in the game.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: March 06, 2010, 01:44:05 am »

Always BUC-test a book. Unless maybe you're a wizard. Then, never try difficult books unless you BUC-test.
Also, it doesn't care if it's rusty:
Code: [Select]
361.  if (obj->otyp == LONG_SWORD && obj->quan == 1L
362.      && u.ulevel >= 5 && !rn2(6)
363.      && !obj->oartifact
364.      && !exist_artifact(LONG_SWORD, artiname(ART_EXCALIBUR))) {
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 01:49:23 am by CobaltKobold »
Tilesets

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: March 06, 2010, 04:17:51 am »

It seems that dipping a rusty longsword does not transform it, but rusts it further.

Read a cursed spellbook and got frozen. Mountain nymph proceeded to take off my magically reflective armor and unleash every wand in my arsenal at me. One of my more frustrating deaths, augmented by the fact that I hate nymphs more than any monster in the game.

I usually only dip for Excalibur when I'm level 7... so I'll be better prepared to handle whatever comes forth from the fountain.

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: March 06, 2010, 07:36:50 pm »

Oh, it's been so long since I've last played this. This wound up causing me to play DF. Such found memories... drinking from a fountain and getting swarmed by snakes...having fun with a succubus, then she attacked me... never got far.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: June 04, 2010, 02:23:20 pm »

I've never ascended, but last night I lost my most promising character yet, an Orc Ranger.  He had just finished the Mines, had plenty of food, and was generally rockin'.  With cursed arrows that misfire he was taking down squads of soldier ants for sport.

I really felt tough for the first time in this game.  Then I came across a "more primitive world" and ran into an Air Elemental.  Turns out I did want my possessions identified.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: June 05, 2010, 02:24:33 am »

I've never ascended, but last night I lost my most promising character yet, an Orc Ranger.  He had just finished the Mines, had plenty of food, and was generally rockin'.  With cursed arrows that misfire he was taking down squads of soldier ants for sport.

I really felt tough for the first time in this game.  Then I came across a "more primitive world" and ran into an Air Elemental.  Turns out I did want my possessions identified.

The Rogue level... I don't usually find elementals there, just [zombie] giants or ettins.
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 128