Not even close.
- 391 (73.4%)
Almost . . . but didn't
- 26 (4.9%)
Maybe managed halfway
- 51 (9.6%)

Total Members Voted: 530

Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 128

Author Topic: Nethack  (Read 175650 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nethack
« Reply #1065 on: January 22, 2010, 04:04:33 pm »

No, I went out of my way to lose all my hp, which changed me back to human form. However, I did find out that bugbears, while too big for armor and cloaks, can still wield weapons and shields, and can still wear helmets and boots.

I probably won't go to Mine's End, since it's very likely their won't be anything of use unless I can find a touchstone.

However, I forgot to mention that I was lucky enough to find a free bag of holding in the gnomish mines. I hope Sokoban has the amulet of reflection to complete the set.

So my next goals:

Get enough gold to get divine protection
complete sokoban
Get reflection
Get armor which isn't bronze armor (6 ac, but goddamn is it heavy)

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: January 22, 2010, 07:06:54 pm »

The luckstone isn't useful? Or do you mean you don't want the hassle of picking out the loadstone? Haven't got Mimic of the Mines in quite some time...
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: January 22, 2010, 08:40:21 pm »

The luckstone isn't useful? Or do you mean you don't want the hassle of picking out the loadstone? Haven't got Mimic of the Mines in quite some time...

His plan is to wish for the Orb of Fate next, which is also a luckstone.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: January 22, 2010, 10:25:14 pm »

Still, the booze and gems're good, if you're not altar-farming. Orb's pretty heavy, too.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
Tilesets

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: January 22, 2010, 11:51:59 pm »

His plan is to wish for the Orb of Fate next, which is also a luckstone.

Fact: I already found a luckstone in the Mines. When I wish for Orb of Fate, I'll have two. When I do my quest, I'll get the Heart of Ahriman, which is also a luckstone!

It's luckstone overkill!

I'm thinking though, that I should let out one of the watch members so I can kill him and take his gloves. I can't stress the importance of gloves in a world which has cockatrices.

While I'd lose my intrinsic telepathy, I have an amulet of telepathy anyway, which is better anyhow.

I have to remember to ditch my original luckstone though, so that my bad luck can regenerate.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: January 23, 2010, 01:18:16 am »

Mines End is a death trap. As much as I can recommend, do not go there unless you've already completed Sokoban and still need a luckstone.

If you're playing Slash'EM, even if you don't need the luckstone, it might be worthwhile to make the trek if you need an assload of cash. Slash'EM has a special level after Mines' End with even MORE gold and gems, a guaranteed throne, and a little bit more loot. You can ID the gems in shops, and magic lamps are crazy expensive in Slash'EM, so you actually have something useful to spend it all on. Bring your BoH! Of course, the Mines in Slash'EM are several times harder than the mines in Nethack, so it's kind of a trade off.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: January 23, 2010, 01:31:51 am »

Mines End is a death trap. As much as I can recommend, do not go there unless you've already completed Sokoban and still need a luckstone.
Generally I do.
Tilesets

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: January 23, 2010, 01:44:40 am »

Something weird just happened. I pick up a smoky potion, and I think, "Oh, I'll just throw this into the ol' BoH until I can ID it." and I do, and it (the potion, not the BoH) frickin' EXPLODES and now I'm hallucinating for like 100 turns.

Why the hell did that happen? That never happened before, and I found another Smoky potion and tried it again, and it didn't happen!

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: January 23, 2010, 04:13:57 am »

Something weird just happened. I pick up a smoky potion, and I think, "Oh, I'll just throw this into the ol' BoH until I can ID it." and I do, and it (the potion, not the BoH) frickin' EXPLODES and now I'm hallucinating for like 100 turns.

Why the hell did that happen? That never happened before, and I found another Smoky potion and tried it again, and it didn't happen!

Let's see... to stash your potion, you'll be using "a" to apply, "l" or "#loot" to loot. Since it's your BoH, it should be "a". Maybe you fat-fingered and broke a wand?

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: January 23, 2010, 04:32:03 am »

Actually, I'm carrying my BoH with me.

The exact button I use for using my BoH is simply:

(a)pply > (b)ag > (i)n

and then I selected my smoky potion and KABLAMMO, I get a face full of hallucination.

I definitely didn't break a wand, since breaking a wand requires a y/n confirmation, which I would have remembered. Also, nothing else was effected, it was just the potion that exploded.

Though I won't discount the possibility of fat-fingering in some way... I just can't figure it out.

Truly weird.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: January 23, 2010, 11:16:53 am »

Well, the good news is that smoky potions are probably hallucination, which is pretty safe to chug for potential wishes.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: January 23, 2010, 08:38:09 pm »

And something you won't chug for nonwishes (like the Healings)- since the wish/etc. supplants the effect.

'course, ideally you get Smoky Juice, as that's the easiest to whip up, but...smokies are sort of corner anyhow.
Tilesets

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: January 23, 2010, 08:43:10 pm »

Actually, the smokies were gain energy. Double odd!

Anyway, I found another lamp, and got the Orb of Fate now.

After eating many wraiths, I'm on the quest now.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: January 23, 2010, 08:58:43 pm »

Hope you have a tinning kit.
Tilesets

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: January 23, 2010, 09:25:29 pm »

Brutalizing everything in my path has worked well enough, and I have the Heart of Ahriman now, in all it's useless glory.
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 128