Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2130015 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #675 on: December 14, 2009, 11:11:18 pm »

I don't actually know.  Whenever I got magic arrowed in adventure mode it tore apart pretty much everything in the upper body.  I never got hit by anything in my memory that only caused the loss of one lung.

I imagine it wouldn't though. A flier creature only drops out of the sky if you cripple more than 50% of it's flier parts(so they can still fly with only 1 out of 2 wings)  I imagine it's the same with lungs.  You would probably just spend the rest of yer life (or until you travel) winded.

EDIT: Then again on the other hand, there is the notorious hydra example.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 11:15:52 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Taco Dan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of aborted projects
    • View Profile
    • Shattered Monkey Gaming
« Reply #676 on: December 15, 2009, 12:36:21 am »

red lungs heart or throat all bring up the mortal wound warning and prevent travel in adventure mode.

I'm curious, does one pierced lung qualify as a mortal wound in adventure mode? I think I've read about super tough dwarves surviving with just one functional lung, but I can't be sure.
It's probably possible with a really tough adventurer, it's never happened to me before, (don't play too much adventurer) but I've had a couple dwarves in dwarf mode stick it out with one lung before.
I think I would remember if I had amnesia.
I'd like to remind everyone that half of the time I don't even know what I'm talking about. The other half of the time I only sort of know what I'm talking about.

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: December 15, 2009, 03:14:13 am »

I've seen dogs and dwarves walk around completely content with a imploded/ missing lung.

I suppose you really only need one lung to survive, but a wounded lung tends to kill people IRL. Pneumothorax and Hemothorax eg, sucking chest wounds, where one of the lungs, or rather the plueral space around the lung fills with fluid or air and compresses the other lung, which makes it rather impossible to breathe.

Its not a huge deal today with modern medical needle decompression and chest tubes, ect. Not sure how they resolved those cases with olde dayes medicine.

Wow. Anyways. One face palm moment was with an adventurer. At some point during a raid on a gobbo fortress, I got a mining pick lodged in my eye. I noticed it in my inventory and was "oh, cool, free mining pick" I pulled it out by removing it from my inventory and then nearly bled to death.

Crowbar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: December 15, 2009, 03:59:13 am »

I had a face-palm moment in Fortress mode when I'd had just about enough of the elven traders.  I set up the depot so that it could be flooded at will, the water travelling through a tunnel from a nearby brook.  The flow was controlled by floodgates.  Once I'd drowned them all, I intended to go in and take all of their stuff.

It all went well, up until I realized the only lever to control the floodgate was on the inside...

Yeah, preparation and patience aren't exactly my specialities.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: December 15, 2009, 04:31:30 am »

Tried desperately to get an area with a nice chunk of Sedimentary layer, a magma pipe, HFS, and hopefully an underground river/pool.  After scouring a couple different worlds, I genned a world with some extra volcanic activity and go it.  Magma pool was on the surface, so I had to work fast to build a wall around it.  Things were going quite well, and then... my woodcutter, who I gave a precious profficient level in stonecrafter, who was helping build the wall, got very thoroughly killed by a fire imp :(  It did inspire me to make tombs for my original seven (now six) dwarves...

Ruttiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://https://server2.kproxy.com/servlet/redirect.srv/s/p1/
« Reply #680 on: December 15, 2009, 09:11:53 am »

I recently had one.  I had someone get possesed a while ago, and they had no appropriate crafting skills, so I think "yeah right" and deconstruct my only crafts workshop.  A while later the person goes insane.  So some time passes, I assumed my insane dwarf died, but a while later I get a message, the fort has had it's first baby.  I zoom to the location and unpause, and watch as the dwarf stands there while the baby aimlessly wanders about.  It was my insane dwarf.  The baby wandered seemingly aimlessly, I eventually lost track of it.

This all happened after I had finshed designing my fox pit, which is a 1X1 hole that I fill with endlessly replicating foxes so I can outfit my fort with fox leather gear.  It makes you think just how evil this game makes you. 

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: December 15, 2009, 11:26:32 am »

Not sure how they resolved those cases with olde dayes medicine.

That's the thing. Seeing how current dwarven healthcare consists of carrying casualties to their beds and bringing them food and water, one would be realistically (if it behooves to use words like "realistic" in relation to a high fantasy setting) expected to die from one pierced lung.

"oh, cool, free mining pick"

It would have been awesome if you were able to dig with a looted pick in adventure mode. You can dream, right?

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: December 15, 2009, 03:09:26 pm »

That's the thing. Seeing how current dwarven healthcare consists of carrying casualties to their beds and bringing them food and water, one would be realistically (if it behooves to use words like "realistic" in relation to a high fantasy setting) expected to die from one pierced lung.

Unless one was incredibly tough. Funny how that pays out.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: December 15, 2009, 03:11:40 pm »

Unless one was incredibly tough.

I don't think anyone is that tough in reality (which was what I was comparing the game to). In a fantasy setting in general, or in DF in particular, that's obviously different.

NewoTigra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: December 15, 2009, 05:33:38 pm »

Flooding my underground trade depot (to get rid of elves) then realizing I had no way of draining out said water. In hindsight, I should have made it so my dwarves didn't have to go through the depot to go outside. I lost several dwarves to starvation because they were locked outside by the water.

Also, mining out the roof of a tunnel, then seeing my entire fortress instantly fill with water. Turns out oceans are highly pressurized.

Brian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: December 15, 2009, 07:45:38 pm »

Unless one was incredibly tough.

I don't think anyone is that tough in reality (which was what I was comparing the game to). In a fantasy setting in general, or in DF in particular, that's obviously different.

Wouldn't a pierced lung either fill up with liquid or cause partial collapse, possibly leaving one fulling functional lung?  Not saying it would be a pleasant experience.

Halmie

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb!
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: December 16, 2009, 12:26:14 am »

Not realising you could shift + space while choosing materials for constructions. I must of pressed enter a thousand times before realising.

Seaching for magma on the finder, then moving with u,m,k,h. I spent my first summer and autumn trying to find it.
Meh.

darthbob88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: December 16, 2009, 02:18:39 am »

Finally learned how to build a pump stack, and decided to try building a Dwarven weapon of killing everything, the good old Flood-The-World device. A pump stack, drawing water from my dammed underground river, powered by a watermill on the same river. Unfortunately, I forgot all about how pumps tend to start up the instant they get power, and pump crazily fast. Thankfully the stack wasn't complete, limiting the damage somewhat, and I had planned for this, putting a gear assembly that was going to be linked to a lever. Unfortunately, I still have to take it apart enough to stop the flood, which was a pain the last time I tried anything with pumps.

Edit: It works! Happy-happy joy-joy! Now for its twin, drawing from a magma pipe. "Some say the world will end in fire, some in ice". I say, why not both? Magma + water == TOTAL DEATH
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 03:31:42 pm by darthbob88 »

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: December 16, 2009, 08:02:36 am »

"oh, cool, free mining pick"
It would have been awesome if you were able to dig with a looted pick in adventure mode. You can dream, right?
It would be fairly awesome to be able to mine out rock using a pick that's stuck in your eye. Well, next to the obvious weirdness and impossibility of having a pick stuck in your eye.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: December 16, 2009, 08:18:13 am »

Awesome squinting powers.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 729