Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2142314 times)

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #690 on: December 16, 2009, 09:16:29 pm »

"oh, cool, free mining pick"
It would have been awesome if you were able to dig with a looted pick in adventure mode. You can dream, right?
It would be fairly awesome to be able to mine out rock using a pick that's stuck in your eye. Well, next to the obvious weirdness and impossibility of having a pick stuck in your eye.
Make the change in bold to your body_default.txt file:
[BODY:2EYES]
[BP:REYE:right eye][CONTYPE:HEAD][SIGHT][EMBEDDED][SMALL][ RIGHT][GRASP]
[BP:LEYE:left eye][CONTYPE:HEAD][SIGHT][EMBEDDED][SMALL]

yeznik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: December 17, 2009, 12:48:40 am »

Forgetting to place cage traps. It's even worse because I had the mechanisms and cages in spades! I didn't realize until a couple of Dragons appeared and began decimating my fortress. I lost almost all my dwarves to them and then I got hit by a few score of half-giants. All in the second year, curse my beginners luck!~

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: December 17, 2009, 12:50:58 am »

That is brilliant.

kobot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: December 17, 2009, 07:20:21 am »

i created a fort which defends itself solely with swords, no traps, no crossbows, not even tricksy walls and moats to screw with goblin pathfinding, and i've been patiently building up wealth and immigratnts waiting for my first siege

it finally arrives, and i mobilize my swordsmen and send them out into the field
at that same moment a massive caravan from the mountainhome arrives from the same spot and the guards wipe out the entire seige less than ten squares from the edge of the map

not really a face palm moment but frustrating as hell and i dont know where else to post it

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: December 17, 2009, 08:50:05 am »

You punch the peasant in the right lower leg with your right eye. It is bruised.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: December 17, 2009, 11:09:07 am »

i created a fort which defends itself solely with swords, no traps, no crossbows, not even tricksy walls and moats to screw with goblin pathfinding, and i've been patiently building up wealth and immigratnts waiting for my first siege

it finally arrives, and i mobilize my swordsmen and send them out into the field
at that same moment a massive caravan from the mountainhome arrives from the same spot and the guards wipe out the entire seige less than ten squares from the edge of the map

not really a face palm moment but frustrating as hell and i dont know where else to post it

Caravans usually turn tail when a siege shows up. In fact, in my current fort, a spring or so ago, the elves came (with thier usual load of cloth.......) and seconds later, a siege arrived. I thought the elves would turn tail, but instead, they actually seemed to be running for the fort entrance and got there well ahead of the siege.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: December 17, 2009, 11:20:09 am »

Sometimes Caravans decide to carve swathes of death and destruction across the landscape.

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ponies for their cuteness
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: December 17, 2009, 01:40:19 pm »

Sometimes Caravans decide to carve swathes of death and destruction across the landscape.

and other times they become swathes of death and destruction.
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: December 17, 2009, 03:05:51 pm »

Really? Usually they end up getting into my trade depot, then the siege gets to them, then I activate Project Deadly Entrance , and make them all dead and goblinite.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Miliardo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: December 17, 2009, 05:56:04 pm »

Setting up my pump system wrong, as a result flooding the only safe fishing spot on the whole map, killing two miners and a fisher dwarf.

Digging a channel, a dwarf fell in, I figured 'since he's down there lets have him knock out the few blocks he missed when he fell a z level' oopse I forgot that the level above would collapse on him >>;

Being stupid enough to save the last square between a tunnel for magma and the volcano for one  miner to dig out, the whole group entered the tunnel, 3 were vaporized on the spot, the last one to enter got half way down and turned tail to run, his cat burst into flames and he died not long after. Cue the basement of the fort flooding on top of it.

... man screwing up is fun.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: December 17, 2009, 07:43:44 pm »

This is a finely woven swath of death and destruction. The thread is red...
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: December 18, 2009, 06:03:34 am »

Working on a Mega Project, got to Autumn first year...
The Caravan Arrives...
I send my Trader to the Deport trade some goods then send him back to his office to await the Liaison...

No one appears to be chasing the Trader. I look around Map for some animal distracting him, look at unit list...
There is NO Liaison...

Open Civ "C" Page. Choose the Dwarven Nation. Jawdrop at the fact it reads...
'This land Has no Important Leaders'

Fuck... Start again I need that Bauxite that the Civ was spos to bring. And I am not relying on the RNG for trading goods...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: December 18, 2009, 09:04:39 am »

I just spent the last few (RL) days constructing, de-constructing, puzzling, planning, frustrating, tweaking, hair-pulling and waiting for my waterfall system to be built.

The water is pumped from the nearby brook and falls several Z-levels through the center of my fort. I carefully planned this so that it would have a clear path down the middle, unhindered by any expansion efforts I might make in the future.

At the resevoir at the bottom, I have three water wheels linked to a stack of pumps that are supposed to draw the water back up to a dumping location.

After several game years of trying and failing to get the waterwheels and pumps to power themselves properly, I was gradually getting closer to success each time.

Finally, after what must have been at least five entire re-designs of the system, it was working -- intermittently. Hey, partial success is still success, amirite?

So I happily sat there and watched a small amount of water work it's way up the pumps and towards the dumping location. Unfortunately, I had forgotten one very important... uhh, detail. The game suddenly paused, and I saw the message: "A section of cavern has collapsed!"

But that was no cave-in message... it was my water falling into the magma pipe and becoming falling blocks of obsidian. I had planned to dump the water into the magma pipe, evaporating it, as I had no bottomless pit to get rid of the excess with.

Due to this small oversight, my budding six-year fortress has been a complete waste of time.
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: December 18, 2009, 01:00:07 pm »

I had planned to dump the water into the magma pipe, evaporating it, as I had no bottomless pit to get rid of the excess with.
Water can be run off the edge of the map by carving a fortification into the edgemost tile. Hopefully you have enough space to redirect the excess water.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

happydog23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: December 18, 2009, 03:22:23 pm »

Setting out to do a mega-project with the orc mod still installed.

8 game years setting up the fortress to support 50 dwarves, and have all the workshops and magma placed where I wanted it.

Finally ready for the brook to be diverted so that I can setup the obsidian farm AND use the newly completed but "un-wetted" drowning room to get some iron from the orc seiges. 

I go out, setup some pumps diverting the output to the bottomless pit.  Start building a damn in the brookbed.  3 goblin ambushes later i'm starting a tantrum spiral.  I don't really want to deal with it and fix it so I save-scum. 

I build a wall around the pumping area and connect it to my fortress.  Start building the damn.  Need more pumps to save my insanity.  Build pumps and extra diversion channel... It blocked access to the brook bead, so I built some ramps to get over the walls that were diverting the water.  Goblin ambush.... wtf?  OH yeah... ify ou build a wall against a mountain and then put ramps to get over the wall, people can walk from the mountain to your fort.  A few more ambushes later.....

I'm really debating the merits i put in to not having a military.  I'm also going to be an expert at river damning by the time this is over.  I've learned all kinds of tricks at this point.
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 729