Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Transcendence: Inspired by StarControl2 and Nethack  (Read 15130 times)

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Transcendence: Inspired by StarControl2 and Nethack
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2009, 09:37:21 pm »

Not just the fuel assemblies. They are a unlimited source of chroninium gas, which can sell for 1k a ton, and undamaged plasma torches, which can sell for more than 5k. :o

Yeah, the chroninium too. Those plasma torches are usually damaged though.

The first Farian base I came upon had a CommonWealth base nearby - the Farian base kept spawning miners and the CW defenders kept killing them. When I first arrived there's already a sea of Farian miner wreckages.

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2009, 10:07:49 pm »

Yeah, the chroninium too. Those plasma torches are usually damaged though.

Don't forget you can sell the damaged torches to tinkers and weapon stations. The damaged ones are worth nearly as much as the undamaged ones.

The first Farian base I came upon had a CommonWealth base nearby - the Farian base kept spawning miners and the CW defenders kept killing them. When I first arrived there's already a sea of Farian miner wreckages.

Yeah, I had that happen once with a auton dealership. Good times. :D
I think it's a vastly amusing thought that elephants are so afraid of heights that when Dwarves invented the Z-axis, they couldn't bear to face dwarves in combat anymore.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2009, 10:46:47 am »

After waiting a month for my account on the official forums to activate, I sent an e-mail to the administrators, and they activated it the next day.

Is there anyone in Bay12Games forum with access to the official Transcendence forum? Would you please poke the admin there for me, to get him/her to please please please please pretty please take one quick look at the inbox?

I tried to register in April, and my account is still not activated. I tried posting to the unofficial forum (where there's a little bit of activity), but no response so far.

I tried sending email to forums@neurohack.com and transcendence@neurohack.com, but no response either.

I'm starting to think it could be invitation only and they hate newbies. The fact that people are still posting in the official forum today doesn't help.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2009, 04:38:42 am »

Update:

I wonder if someone notified George (there's no reply here or in unofficial forum), but he finally activated my account.

If you have been waiting for your account activation, you may be activated now...

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2010, 02:06:53 am »

Just a bump because of a newsworthy event: Transcendence 1.0 has been released!:

http://neurohack.com/transcendence/

Time to do a fresh install and download my favourite mods from xelerus. what mods are people playing by the way?
I find that "weapons extended" is a must have, it allows you to set the difficulty, and adds much more variety to the game, but there are tons of other fun add-ons and mods, most of which are compatible.

Hungry

• Bay Watcher
  • Former controller of Zombie Fenrir
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2010, 04:35:22 am »

Wasnt it released like a while ago?

Also I'm dreadfang on trans...if you see me say hi or else...
Breccia isnt in DF, like garden slugs.
Cheese for the Cheese boat!

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2010, 06:52:02 am »

The version history says 1.0 was released March 12, following 9 release candidates.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2010, 11:03:38 am »

Wasnt it released like a while ago?

Also I'm dreadfang on trans...if you see me say hi or else...

I tried to register at their forums, but apparently new accounts need to be approved by the moderators, and this never happened, so I'm just lurking now (tried twice). I guess I won't be the only one with this problem, this in my opinion a bad thing for the transcendence community, as it keeps people from getting involved by commenting or sharing ideas and mods.

The game is great however, and I would certainly advise people who haven't played to give it a try.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2010, 07:50:51 pm »

I tried to register at their forums, but apparently new accounts need to be approved by the moderators, and this never happened, so I'm just lurking now (tried twice). I guess I won't be the only one with this problem, this in my opinion a bad thing for the transcendence community, as it keeps people from getting involved by commenting or sharing ideas and mods.

The game is great however, and I would certainly advise people who haven't played to give it a try.

Yeah, I remember I had some questions and suggestions and wanted to register, had to wait several weeks posting in various places hoping to find someone already registered there to PM the mods for me.

When I finally got my account I already stopped playing the game and forgot what I was trying to ask and suggest. So I haven't made a single post there.

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2010, 08:31:30 pm »

This is one of my favorite games. I've played through it at least five or six times. In my opinion, it is more fun than either Star Control 2 or Nethack.

There were a LOT of changes introduced in 1.0, so most of the advice in this thread might not hold anymore. Especially the advice about Ferians. :o

If anyone has any questions about Transcendence, they should log on the Transcendence IRC channel. It's ##transcendence on Freenode. There are usually over fifteen people logged in at any one time, and it can get pretty busy at times.

I really can't overemphasize what an awesome game this is. I've probably put hundreds of hours into it.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 08:33:30 pm by Vucar Fikodastesh »
I think it's a vastly amusing thought that elephants are so afraid of heights that when Dwarves invented the Z-axis, they couldn't bear to face dwarves in combat anymore.

Xombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2010, 12:31:25 am »

Can I buy other ship hulls somewhere?

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2010, 09:38:30 am »

No, the choice between the three starting ships is supposed to be like the choice between classes in an RPG.

To be honest, I'm not completely sure why you would want to switch to another hull. The three hulls beginning hulls are probably the most versatile of all the hulls in the game, AI controlled or not.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2010, 03:24:54 pm »

No, the choice between the three starting ships is supposed to be like the choice between classes in an RPG.

To be honest, I'm not completely sure why you would want to switch to another hull. The three hulls beginning hulls are probably the most versatile of all the hulls in the game, AI controlled or not.
The game gets kinda dull when you're flying around in the same ship the entire game. :\

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2010, 10:29:15 pm »

Play Escape Velocity Nova and tell me you don't see the point in upgrading your ship through the whole game. :P

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2010, 12:45:21 am »

Play Escape Velocity Nova and tell me you don't see the point in upgrading your ship through the whole game. :P

Yeah, I've been playing the Escape Velocity games for 14+ years now, and I've loved every minute. I try to play just about every game belonging to this unpopular little genre.

The truth is that they are completely different games. The combat may be similar, though even that has significant differences, but the rest of the game isn't at all alike. Most importantly, in EV Nova most of your ship's combat potential came from the hull you were flying, while in Transcendence, it's almost completely about your equipment. You can't fit a capacitor pulse laser or a 200mm railgun on a Thunderhead heavy fighter, but the Wolfen can fit every weapon in the game. You can't steal the shields from the Vonian dreadnaught and place them on your EU fighter, but in Transcendce, you can do the equivalent. The ships in Transcendence are just more versatile.

And the point still stands that you can't really "upgrade" to a new hull. When you pick the Wolfen class gunship, you've picked the single most versatile, combat capable human ship in the universe. :P
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6