Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Transcendence: Inspired by StarControl2 and Nethack  (Read 15108 times)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: Transcendence: Inspired by StarControl2 and Nethack
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2010, 02:28:06 am »

Quite a neat game, I have not played it for very long though, but I decided to post with various things I've experienced/saw.

the fighter (I can't remember the name) does amazingly well in the beginning game, don't be afraid to die, it won't be that easy for them to kill you, fuel is the only limit this early.

on that note, anyone else die stupidly by running out of fuel right next to the stations? someone needs to add a feature to allow friendly ships to offer you fuel if they spot you, I mean, how could you die instantly after losing fuel?

finding the AK505 early on makes stations SO much easier, a few well placed blasts and most stations/ships die.

don't waste your missiles like I did early on. :P

laser ships are more dangerous than their stations...

shipping crap makes less profit than blowing up pirates. :P too bad they are limited (and dangerous).

better to buy any unknown object and use it in the starting system as it is the safest place to test it.

I hate those damned tiny laser ships, WHY are they more dangerous than their station?!

And, does the system with the arena have more than one gate (to an unexpored system)? I really don't like whats behind the only one I've found...
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 05:33:32 am by Tarran »
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2010, 12:24:42 pm »

To be honest, changing hulls to something more badass looking later on would be cool in Transcendence. Only the yacht looks kind of cool but it terribly small compared to your enemy ships. The other starting ships look like flying bricks and for a while I hoped I could buy a new hull just to stop flying that disgusting orange freighter.

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2010, 11:17:29 pm »

the fighter (I can't remember the name) does amazingly well in the beginning game, don't be afraid to die, it won't be that easy for them to kill you, fuel is the only limit this early.

Yeah, that's the Wolfen class gunship. It's definitely my favorite. It dominates in the early game, though it's hurt by having only four non-weapon device slots (two of which are taken up by your shield and reactor). It can dominate in the late gate too, if you're careful with your equipment.

on that note, anyone else die stupidly by running out of fuel right next to the stations? someone needs to add a feature to allow friendly ships to offer you fuel if they spot you, I mean, how could you die instantly after losing fuel?

I've heard a lot of people complaining about dying from running out of fuel, but it hasn't actually happened to me, yet. :P

One thing to keep in mind is that death won't be instantaneous when you run out of fuel (there will be a timer), as long as you have some fuel consumables in your inventory.

shipping crap makes less profit than blowing up pirates. :P too bad they are limited (and dangerous).

Actually, the number of enemy ships you fight is completely unlimited. For one thing. killing station guards will cause reinforcements to jump in from the nearest gate, this will happen an infinite amount of times. For another thing, some systems will spawn invisible "dummy" stations that will give you infinite, infrequently spawned, station-less, encounters.

If you're smart you can "farm" some enemies for broken items that you can do custom work with at the Tinkers. Early in the game it helps try custom work on every item you find.

I hate those damned tiny laser ships, WHY are they more dangerous than their station?!

Ugh, Hornet class battlepods. Supposedly they were the ships used by the earth militia to defend against Ares aggression in the beginning of the Syrtis conflict, but I can't imagine why any sane individual would ever willingly fly one of them (this excludes anarchists).

From the players standpoint, they are easily one of the most annoying ships you can fight in the game. Even though they are protected by a single sheet of ultra-light titanium armor and no shield, they are so insanely fast and come in such huge numbers that they can pose a credible threat to any ship with beginning equipment. I'd be lying if I said that I've never died to them.

And, does the system with the arena have more than one gate (to an unexpored system)? I really don't like whats behind the only one I've found...

No, I'm afraid not. Transcendence has completely linear topology in the current release, though George is looking into the possibility of "side-quest" style branches in the gate network for future releases (think the dwarf mines from Nethack).

To be honest, changing hulls to something more badass looking later on would be cool in Transcendence. Only the yacht looks kind of cool but it terribly small compared to your enemy ships. The other starting ships look like flying bricks and for a while I hoped I could buy a new hull just to stop flying that disgusting orange freighter.

If you want to try flying around some different ships, you should take a look at the Xelerus Ship (Player) list. Be warned that most of these ships aren't completely balanced compared to the vanilla ships.
I think it's a vastly amusing thought that elephants are so afraid of heights that when Dwarves invented the Z-axis, they couldn't bear to face dwarves in combat anymore.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2010, 11:32:54 pm »

I've heard a lot of people complaining about dying from running out of fuel, but it hasn't actually happened to me, yet. :P

One thing to keep in mind is that death won't be instantaneous when you run out of fuel (there will be a timer), as long as you have some fuel consumables in your inventory.

Strange, I never got the prompt.  >:(

And back then I did not know about portable fuel rods.

Actually, the number of enemy ships you fight is completely unlimited. For one thing. killing station guards will cause reinforcements to jump in from the nearest gate, this will happen an infinite amount of times. For another thing, some systems will spawn invisible "dummy" stations that will give you infinite, infrequently spawned, station-less, encounters.

If you're smart you can "farm" some enemies for broken items that you can do custom work with at the Tinkers. Early in the game it helps try custom work on every item you find.

Hehe.

Ugh, Hornet class battlepods. Supposedly they were the ships used by the earth militia to defend against Ares aggression in the beginning of the Syrtis conflict, but I can't imagine why any sane individual would ever willingly fly one of them (this excludes anarchists).

From the players standpoint, they are easily one of the most annoying ships you can fight in the game. Even though they are protected by a single sheet of ultra-light titanium armor and no shield, they are so insanely fast and come in such huge numbers that they can pose a credible threat to any ship with beginning equipment. I'd be lying if I said that I've never died to them.

We used them in war, bloody crazy to fly those damned things, no wonder earth got trashed.

No, I'm afraid not. Transcendence has completely linear topology in the current release, though George is looking into the possibility of "side-quest" style branches in the gate network for future releases (think the dwarf mines from Nethack).

I love blast plate, never have to worry about radiation, still nearly getting killed by damned pirates and their 'lets flood a system with our ships, no-one will even think about coming here!'.

If you want to try flying around some different ships, you should take a look at the Xelerus Ship (Player) list. Be warned that most of these ships aren't completely balanced compared to the vanilla ships.

Just wondering, when will I get to buy a new ship? I'm a packrat/firepower/fast type guy, and this small cargo space is biting at my ass.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2010, 12:18:36 am »

Just wondering, when will I get to buy a new ship? I'm a packrat/firepower/fast type guy, and this small cargo space is biting at my ass.

You can't switch ships in a game. The ship you start with is the ship you are stuck with. It's the sad truth.

You should try adding a cargo expansion, though. It'll give you an extra 75 tons or so, on the Wolfen.

There are three kinds of cargo expansions:

The bog standard expansion, which will sometimes show up on general goods stations and boosts your cargo the most.

The miners cargo hold, which you can always buy at mining stations, boosts your cargo a moderate amount, and lets you pick up the ore that you blast from asteroids without losing any.

The smugglers cargo hold, which you can always buy from Black Market stations, boosts your cargo by the smallest amount (still a lot, though), and lets you pass through station security without getting illegal goods confiscated.
I think it's a vastly amusing thought that elephants are so afraid of heights that when Dwarves invented the Z-axis, they couldn't bear to face dwarves in combat anymore.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2010, 12:42:34 am »

You can't switch ships in a game. The ship you start with is the ship you are stuck with. It's the sad truth.

...Oh well, Its just that as soon as I see a wreck I have to loot it... urgh.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2010, 07:23:39 am »

I became Arena Champion really quickly, which sucks since they won't let you fight anymore. :(
Also, I realized how stupid it is to have other do your fighting. I thought I was ready to move on to another system, but I was immediately clusterfucked by the first enemy station I came by. :\
Though it's nice having 10,000 credits on you at any given time, which I do. :)
From what I gathered, it is still possible to farm ferians in v1.

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2010, 01:36:22 pm »

I became Arena Champion really quickly, which sucks since they won't let you fight anymore. :(
Also, I realized how stupid it is to have other do your fighting. I thought I was ready to move on to another system, but I was immediately clusterfucked by the first enemy station I came by. :\
Though it's nice having 10,000 credits on you at any given time, which I do. :)
From what I gathered, it is still possible to farm ferians in v1.

The nicest thing about the Arena is the
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yeah, it is still possible to farm Ferians, it just has a much higher element of risk. It can be easy enough if you have very good weapons and armor, or use a copious amount of Domina powers.

However possible it is, it's still very different from the free money it used to be. :P

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2010, 03:26:13 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I removed this mod ship that I was playing around with and my main save wasn't loadable be cause it said "(Missing mod?)" :(

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 22, 2010, 05:31:24 pm »

I removed this mod ship that I was playing around with and my main save wasn't loadable be cause it said "(Missing mod?)" :(
Yeah, Transcendence doesn't like it when you remove mods from a game in progress.

So, I went through my Transcendence files and compiled a list of mods that I use.

Captains Log: I use this to remember rare stations and caches.
Upgradable Wingmen: Great for building an unstoppable fleet of champions.
Total VUI: Asteroid Scanner and item identifying.
Repair Droids: Smarter versions of the patch spider that hide themselves when your shield is down and enemies are near, so they don't get destroyed.
Scuttle Wrecks: Very useful when clearing an entire system of enemy wrecks.
Bussard Reactors: One of my favorite mods. Adds a series of reactors that can refuel themselves by taking in hydrogen from stars and gas giants.
No Dock Nav Beacons: Just what it says on the tin. Removes a major annoyance from the game.
New Drydock: Changes the commonwealth drydock to remove the forced progression of reactors. Works great in conjunction with the Bussard Reactors.
Nav Beacon: Good for marking locations on your map.
Advanced Targetting Device: Perfect for keeping track of wandering enemies that you don't feel like killing just yet.

d1gdugs Weapons Extended+Weapon Randomizer mod is lot's of fun, but it doesn't play well with most other mods. Atarlost's set of three mods are also very well balanced and enjoyable, but I don't use them myself.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 25, 2010, 04:30:44 pm »

Is there a way to get the music working? I finally listened to TranscendenceMarch and I started to wonder why there isn't music playing in game...

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 25, 2010, 08:07:26 pm »

Is there a way to get the music working? I finally listened to TranscendenceMarch and I started to wonder why there isn't music playing in game...

It's only played once when you start the game up... play the file in background if you want to keep it on during the game.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 27, 2010, 05:19:16 am »

So, I went through my Transcendence files and compiled a list of mods that I use.

Captains Log: I use this to remember rare stations and caches.
Upgradable Wingmen: Great for building an unstoppable fleet of champions.
Total VUI: Asteroid Scanner and item identifying.
Repair Droids: Smarter versions of the patch spider that hide themselves when your shield is down and enemies are near, so they don't get destroyed.
Scuttle Wrecks: Very useful when clearing an entire system of enemy wrecks.
Bussard Reactors: One of my favorite mods. Adds a series of reactors that can refuel themselves by taking in hydrogen from stars and gas giants.
No Dock Nav Beacons: Just what it says on the tin. Removes a major annoyance from the game.
New Drydock: Changes the commonwealth drydock to remove the forced progression of reactors. Works great in conjunction with the Bussard Reactors.
Nav Beacon: Good for marking locations on your map.
Advanced Targetting Device: Perfect for keeping track of wandering enemies that you don't feel like killing just yet.

d1gdugs Weapons Extended+Weapon Randomizer mod is lot's of fun, but it doesn't play well with most other mods. Atarlost's set of three mods are also very well balanced and enjoyable, but I don't use them myself.

Very good list of mods... thank you Vucar!

- Captain's Log is very convenient. Before using it I had to pause a lot to write on paper.
- Scuttle Wrecks is great.. I often got dragged around to wrong places when trying to dock and loot.
- Bussard Reactors. I haven't seen this reactor yet, but there are some bussard devices I can install, which a single one was able to keep a new Millenium Falcon (from FalconCV) at full fuel pretty much all the time.

What methods do you use to access a station when there're lots of ships around and no more docking ports? Wandering ships nearby always got in before me, and I was parking on the station already.

I would imagine some day I would get irradiated and die just like that.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 05:22:20 am by kcwong »

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 27, 2010, 03:30:39 pm »

I came across an interesting defensive combo. It made my ship pretty much indestructible but I think its a bug. I'm play with the weapons extended mod but it doesn't add any new shields or armor so I think I'm using vanilla stuff.

What I did was I bought 4 plates of heavy meteorsteel lattice. It very good lvl VI armor, resistant to most types of damage, I also upped its thermo and positron resistance. It's downside is that it interferes with shields so you can't have both. Then I installed a Nanite Shield. As I had expected the very weak "shield" part of the nanite shield didn't work with the armor. But the whole purpose of the nanite shield is to add a 3,3hp/sec regen to all armor pieces. And that works even when the shield doesn't function due to meteorsteel! Also, this consumes 0 energy! I think this is a bug because it uses 5 lvl VI items to get effects I later found out that are given by the lvl IX powered meteorsteel plates. They are much more expensive then my entire set and require 40 MW per segment. The also have only 200 max hp.

I going to see how far I can get with only this armor. I've already died twice and was resurrected by insurance with it on because I docked to a black market station after having destroyed one earlier. Kind of a lame way to die without any means of defense.

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 27, 2010, 08:28:41 pm »

Re:kcwong

To be honest, I haven't really had any trouble with ships hogging all the docking ports. So, I can't really offer any advice about that.

Re:Toady Two

That is a bug, it's just not a bug with vanilla. I think the nanite shield is something from one of Atarlost's mods. It might be a good idea to bring that up on the comment page of whatever mod that was in.

Oh, I've had that BM thing happen to me once, too. It's a mistake you only make once. :(
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6