Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Dinosaurs  (Read 14150 times)

Guy Montag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dinosaurs
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2009, 07:38:19 am »

Huh, I was just about to mention something about how Dinosaurs would have a hard time growing so large in modern times because they existed when the atmosphere had a much higher concentration of oxygen in the atmosphere, and being repiles, would be cold-blooded and it was much hotter 65 million years ago.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/earthnews/4330218/Dinosaurs-could-survive-cold-conditions.html

But google foiled my hypothesis and uneducated assumptions once again... You could add Tundra to the list of Biomes, according to SCIENCE here...

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2009, 11:10:19 am »

I thought some scientist studied dinosaur fossils and determined from the size and layout(or something like that) of openings in the bones for blood that they were more likely warm blooded than cold blooded. 

That cold climate dinosaurs thing would make sense then.  As they would have an easier time than cold blooded creatures.  They would have needed more than just that, but there may have even been different species of the same family, with fur, or more fat than their warmer climate cousins. 

As far as I know dogs have more or less the same skeletal structure, but an huskie would be comfortable in much colder temperatures than a greyhound.  Perhaps there was something similar in the dinosaur world.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

varkarrus

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity and a knife go well together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2009, 02:12:49 pm »

My wishlist:

Anomalocaris (ferocious water creature. Can survive on land. Small, but deadly in swarms)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anomalocaris

Allosaurus (T-rex like)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allosaurus

Pleisosaur (Giant undersea creature. Extremly dangerous)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plesiosaur
Dip Stick! The newest candy! Just dip it, then lick it!
Or try FUBAR! The best chocolate bar ever!
And you can't eat them, either, sadly. Even though it'd make sieges so much more fun; dwarves lining the walls, drooling and carrying sharp knives and forks, ready for the upcoming meals.

Onlyhestands

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2009, 02:22:15 pm »

I already made the plesiosaur
What if you didn't have any genitals, couldn't you just go naked as a dude (because showing your nipples is okay)?
What if monkeys created civilizations on the moon?

Guy Montag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2009, 02:30:47 pm »

Yes, they suppose dinosaurs were warm-blooded like birds, that decented from dinosaurs.

I can't help but wonder that a Bruhathkayosaurus would have some difficulty breathing and maintaining its metabolism in the lower oxygen concentrations in the modern atmosphere. I think there is a limit as to how large a land-borne creature can be before it simply doesn't have enough oxygen to diffuse to all of its cells and meet its metabolic requirements.

Besides, this is a fantasy setting. who needs dinosaurs when you got DRAGONS? Lets add in more of those fuckers. The kinds that spit acid or ice or nerve gas or whatever else that directly corresponds with their colors, like in D&D!

After all, if dinosaurs and massive aggressive creatures were commonplace, then they'd overshadow the supposedly awesome megabeasts the game has already...

Think of the implications, man! Nazi Elves riding dinosaurs! and who keeps feeding those things liquor?!

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2009, 05:08:37 pm »

I already did blue and gold dragons myself.  As well as turning the vanilla dragon into a red dragon. 

Non-fire breath attacks are kinda tricky at the moment though, best I managed to do with the blue was give it a really high power melee attack that looks like lightning.  I imagine the same could be done with all the others but they aren't ranged like the firebreath.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 05:11:07 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2009, 10:03:51 pm »

Oh, right, found the dolphiny things, What about ichthyosaurs?

What do you consider a dinosaur for this purpose?

You have plesiosaurs and pterdodactyls already, so I guess you are including aquatic and airborne critters. Are you doing anything that lived at the time of dinosaurs like sharks and crocodiles? What about more recent things, mammoths? sabre-toothed etc...?

Hmmm, sorry about that, I guess I just want to know if there is anything you don't want to do, but I guess that can be addressed if it comes up...

How do you feel about people submitting entire entries rather than just a name?

These guys look interesting...
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 10:30:04 pm by RAM »
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Onlyhestands

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2009, 07:10:23 am »

The Nothosaurs look intreguing, I may create some.
What if you didn't have any genitals, couldn't you just go naked as a dude (because showing your nipples is okay)?

Paranatural

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2009, 09:39:58 am »

I'm enjoying this mod immensely. I've combined it along with the orcs mod. So far there have not been any orc/donosaur grand melees but I've turned off the trapavoid on the orcs so I can get them in cages. I'm leaving their weapons on them, too. The ultimate goal, of course, is a giant pit with a horde of orcs on one side and various dinosaurs (I gotta catch me a T-rex) on the other side for a grand melee of death and carnage.
The corpses appear to be primarily concentrated under the dead cat.  - Untelligent
Mental Health 6/6. You easily comfort yourself knowing that Paranatural's Hot Stubble And Deliciously Unwashed Armpits will be  waiting for you whatever happens.

Onlyhestands

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2009, 09:43:30 am »

I also use the Orc mod. I was setting up a new fort, complete with a way to trap the Orcs so I could kill them saftley with marksdwarfs, when a tyranasourus ran into my fort and mangled 3 of my starting 7. I wasn't able to prepare intime for the Orcs and everyone was killed, even the crippled in their beds.

EDIT: Added Nothosaurs
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 10:09:40 am by Onlyhestands »

Paranatural

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2009, 10:36:26 am »

I have a pretty awesome pit being set up right now. I've never set up a pit before. On my current map I've gotten a good variety of dinosaurs coming through (Stegasaurses (Stegasaurii?), Amphicoelias, Triceratops, Duck Bills, Compsognathus and Ankylosaurus)

I have about 30 orcs in cages and maybe ten or so Anklosaurs and Triceratops, and one Titan that came in right after the orc siege and rand directly into the only cage trap that was left.

My question is, do you think the dinos I have will be enough to take on the orcs? (Mostly wrestlers, but there were at least 2 axe lords), or should I throw in more dinos?

Oh, also, should the Compsognathus I have be trainable as in the same way wardogs are trainable? Do I have to do anything special to make this happen? I haven't been able to train any so far. I do have a Dungeon Master, if that matters.

The corpses appear to be primarily concentrated under the dead cat.  - Untelligent
Mental Health 6/6. You easily comfort yourself knowing that Paranatural's Hot Stubble And Deliciously Unwashed Armpits will be  waiting for you whatever happens.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2009, 01:25:51 pm »

I found the problem. I had [LARGE_PREDATOR] but I forgot to give them the [LARGE_ROAMING] tag as well ::)

Also:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Wow, your guy was sturdy. Tyrannosaurus ate both his legs, one arm and bit him in different places including head, and he was still alive. He died only when the dino ripped him in 2 parts.

Also there was a Prehistoric Mod total conversion around DFFD I believe, so you can try to borrow some ideas from there if you want. There were cavemen and ancient animals/dino as well. Just ask the creator if you want to do it :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Onlyhestands

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2009, 04:35:43 pm »

Oh, also, should the Compsognathus I have be trainable as in the same way wardogs are trainable? Do I have to do anything special to make this happen? I haven't been able to train any so far. I do have a Dungeon Master, if that matters.

I didn't include it, but if you want to make them that way you can add the [trAINABLE] tag to their raws.I don't think you even need to create a new world for it to work.

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2009, 11:56:50 am »

this mod is great.

didnt some of the large long necked dinosaurs (therapods?) use a pair of enlarged claws on their front legs in addition to/instead of lashing things with their tails? also, it would not be out to add trampling by them as a secondary attack, they are so large compared to anything else.

awesome things that would be great -

Kronosaurus (huge carnivorous seagoing thing. 12m long. named after a god who ate his children.)

megalodon (retardedly large prehistoric shark)

spinosaurus (that big predator that kills a t rex in jurassic park 3)

also, how about new vermin. compsagnathus? or can we add them as a very small pack animal that will harass things like gnomes currently do, aka jurassic park? in addition, really big centipedes and spiders were around back then, werent they?

im totally firing this mod up along with several others once im done with my current projects. the possibility of a t-rex crashing a little war between some dwarves and orcs riding armoured war elephants is so very seductive. hunters will no longer be usefull. at all. too bad you cant make them hunt in groups unless you manage it through the military. or... give them a pack of trained dire hunting raptors....

seriously, peter jackson has to make this into a movie.

Paranatural

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2009, 01:32:33 pm »

Yeah, hunters are definitely pointless. I lost three to death by stegosaurus when I didn't turn off the Hunt option fast enough when they immigrated in.

If you choose to do this mod along with orcs, You're a braver man than I if you don't turn off trapavaoid on the orcs. The cool thing is once you get a Dungeon Master you can start taming them and have people adopt them; if your military dwarves do I can imagine having a pet triceratops follow you into battle would be handy. However, so far, this hasn't worked out for me.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5