Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 686 687 [688] 689 690 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3636496 times)

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #10305 on: January 13, 2010, 12:34:59 pm »

EDIT: Trepanation would be a legitimate way to tackle the most commonly fatal brain injuries for adults. It's not out of the question to implement!

Are you kidding?  DF needs trepanation like a hole in the head.

DF needs a hole in the head.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10306 on: January 13, 2010, 12:36:05 pm »

I've been setting up a nice control room with all my levers and the note system to say which is which anyway so unless I get tons of stuff set up but forget to guard it I won't have quite so much FUN.

Labelling your levers is Easy Mode. And a control room is not complete without a self destruct mechanism.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10307 on: January 13, 2010, 12:38:14 pm »

I've been setting up a nice control room with all my levers and the note system to say which is which anyway so unless I get tons of stuff set up but forget to guard it I won't have quite so much FUN.

Labelling your levers is Easy Mode. And a control room is not complete without a self destruct mechanism.
But do you build the +self-destruct mechanism+ as a lever?  A gear assembly?
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10308 on: January 13, 2010, 12:40:07 pm »

A support. Doesn't have to be a subtle destruct Mechanism.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10309 on: January 13, 2010, 12:40:57 pm »

A pressure plate.  In the corridior leading to the soapmakers room.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10310 on: January 13, 2010, 12:43:47 pm »

The lack of chasms or pits is going to make disposal a little tricky.  Hopefully we can still atom-smash.
Did that included glowing pit tiles?

Nobody really knows for sure except Toady. Rumor is that the glowing pit/bottomless chasm tiles may still exist in some form, probably HFS.

Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
  • Whispers subterrene.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10311 on: January 13, 2010, 01:38:04 pm »

Well we can gather quite a bit of information from the old Phineas Gage story.
*1850ish he had an (artifact) iron rod shot through his head in a relatively vertical angle. Psychology classes mention him a lot to explain how we figured out what the frontal lobe does based on how his apparently ceased it's functions, being severed and all. They don't usually give details about how bits of brain fell out of his head later while he was vomiting but hey, they teach this stuff to little kids.

Realistically I expect he'd have bled out in earlier eras and even so he got some kind of nasty infection that probably had a big chance of killing him.
In particular though I'd like to know any details about what the rod did to th bones it went through. I don't know the anatomy of the skull well enough to tell how much bone it went through at the bottom and can't begin to make predictions about how much damage bits of bone would have caused but I can see the top of the skull having not done much damage if there was no way to reverse the direction of force.

Prior to 1928, any sort of infection would cause you some major problems, wherever in the body it was--obviously you would not be able to treat a brain infection bad enough that amputation would normally be the only recourse.  As far as risk of infection, breaching the compartments of the brain is not nearly as dangerous as breaching the compartments of your gut, which are often sloshing with raw sewage.

There's something I can't quite recall about immune response in the brain.  It's definitely different than the rest of the body (immuno-privileged might be the word) as microglia put on a bunch of the defensive hats worn by other cells of the body.  Inflammation and associated damage might work a bit differently in brain tissue than in the rest of the body, is the short version.

As far as bleeding out, there are worse places to have a tamping rod shot through than your head.  If dwarves have technology short of tourniquets to treat any sort of bleeding, and depending on the extent to which brain vasculature is compromised (don't I sound science-y, now?), there's no reason to think that a brain wound is going to bleed out any faster than, say, a spurting femoral artery wound.

Bone shards . . . I don't know.  I think a lot of it depends on where the wound occurs.  In the Gage example, I don't know that little bits of shattered sphenoid are going to cause more problems passing through the frontal lobe than the whole freakin' (added for emphasis--this was a big piece of metal!) tamping rod.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10312 on: January 13, 2010, 02:07:31 pm »

Well with the brain you've got those tight junctions for arteries so the blood doesn't leave the vessels.

I can't really tell if that's useful to the thing you can't recall but I figure it might sound interesting to other people since it's pretty easy to picture a brain full of blood or not full of blood.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10313 on: January 13, 2010, 02:18:16 pm »

If decorating with stone is implemented, I predict that overabundance of stone will plummet as overabundance of things decorated with stone sharply increases.

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #10314 on: January 13, 2010, 04:32:58 pm »

Will you be able to make weapons out of teeth and/or bone. Like if I kill a dragon size 40 I suspect I will be able to make a sword or spear out of it.
BOTTLED MESSAGE BE AFLOAT

FluffyToast J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10315 on: January 13, 2010, 06:22:00 pm »

After reading the latest devlog entry (01/12/2010), I was interested in the gremlins and other curiousbeasts. Would those curiousbeasts automatically know upon entering the site that there is a dog in a cage over there? Or would they first have to scout around? I think that it is more realistic if they have to walk around first. Maybe they could use scent or something, as well.

sproingie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10316 on: January 13, 2010, 07:27:49 pm »

I suspect it's line-of-sight like all other invaders.
Toady is the man who Peter Molyneux wishes he was

Quote from: ToadyOne
dragon pus was like creamy gold. Infect and collect!

deathc4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10317 on: January 13, 2010, 07:57:16 pm »

« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 02:17:04 PM by Toady One »

Deathc4 has become enraged!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10318 on: January 13, 2010, 07:59:30 pm »

Just be patient will you? lol.

The final stuff should be starting soon if it hasn't already.

Sysice

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10319 on: January 13, 2010, 08:41:49 pm »

He is working on the underground. Which is one huuuuuge item.

The gremlins releasing things from cages was yet another of the things that shock me into realizing that, holy carp, this will be epic.
I managed to make a dog that bled bees.
Quote from: Threetoe
Imagine evil grass that looks like a mass of wriggling worms. Happy holidays!
Pages: 1 ... 686 687 [688] 689 690 ... 1065