Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 685 686 [687] 688 689 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3636243 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #10290 on: January 13, 2010, 10:35:40 am »

From yesterdays devlog: The gremlins made a few runs on the caged dog I set up as bait for them (they wanted to spring the dog loose),

LOL! I suppouse those guys are animal lovers deep inside. Seriously though, that is going to be a double edged sword for them, on one side they cause mischief, on the other, the dogs or whatever other animals are going to detect the gremlin.

When it comes to caged goblins and megabeasts, I sense FUN :)

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10291 on: January 13, 2010, 10:42:58 am »

Yeah, It's lovely that we have something to sow the seeds of chaos in the next version. I love contending with tantrum spirals, but usually I can avoid them in the first place, so I end up getting bored and abandoning the fort. Between this, forgotten beasts, and the new underground peoples, it looks like I'll have a lot on my hands to keep me entertained. Provided I don't just chicken out and wall them off, that is.  :-\
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

sproingie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10292 on: January 13, 2010, 10:57:48 am »

The lack of chasms or pits is going to make disposal a little tricky.  Hopefully we can still atom-smash.
Toady is the man who Peter Molyneux wishes he was

Quote from: ToadyOne
dragon pus was like creamy gold. Infect and collect!

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #10293 on: January 13, 2010, 11:11:40 am »

Hooray gremlins! I never got to experience their mischief in 2D, so I'm glad they're back with a generally harmless but hilariously annoying vengeance.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10294 on: January 13, 2010, 11:14:40 am »

The lack of chasms or pits is going to make disposal a little tricky.  Hopefully we can still atom-smash.

Magma will still be available to us, it will either be easily accessable in the form of magma pipes and maybe pools, or we are going to have to fight our way to it. Nothing has been said about atom smashing, so I guess thats still in.

Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
  • Whispers subterrene.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10295 on: January 13, 2010, 11:15:56 am »

Hooray gremlins! I never got to experience their mischief in 2D, so I'm glad they're back with a generally harmless but hilariously annoying vengeance.

It's only "generally harmless" until the dragon that you captured in a cage trap and placed on exhibit in the center of your grand dining room is freed.  Then it becomes loads of "fun." :D

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10296 on: January 13, 2010, 11:29:31 am »

Would goblins/elves attack underground animal people?

That would be an awesome safety mechanism, captured elves and goblins are released deep underground, buying your dwarves enough time to retreat to relative safety.

And then the gremlin lets out the gigantic adamantine blob which eats everybody.

Actually...

With the whole random creature thing, can adamantine be chosen as a material?
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10297 on: January 13, 2010, 11:47:19 am »

Alright let me see

Admantine was taken off of the list because a creature made of that material would be unbeatable.

Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10298 on: January 13, 2010, 11:53:54 am »

So now that the end of year has passed what is the estimated release date for this next patch? Q1 2010? Q2?

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10299 on: January 13, 2010, 11:56:31 am »

So now that the end of year has passed what is the estimated release date for this next patch? Q1 2010? Q2?

The next version will be out within a few weeks.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Totaku

• Bay Watcher
  • The little oni that strikes the earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #10300 on: January 13, 2010, 12:05:52 pm »

Very likely somewhere in February(March at the latest), since we are still on the underground right now (which I'm pedicting will be done around late January) and there's still the long testing session that needs to be tackled(which I'm estimating will be 3 weeks to a month).

Right now though, I'm still curious what sort of map quibbles Toady mention he had plans to fix. I'm not sure if the grimlins were part of it, but I'm just curious. Especially since I'm getting more excited with each passing day since the release draws closer.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 12:07:34 pm by Totaku »
That's one small step for man, one giant leap for Otakukind!

And maker of the mod in progress known as Suika Fortress Now for 0.34.xx!

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10301 on: January 13, 2010, 12:09:51 pm »

Wow, it's so close  :D
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

sproingie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10302 on: January 13, 2010, 12:11:23 pm »

Yeah, I think I'll be taking my doomsday devices off single levers.  Generally a good idea anyway when it comes to tantrums.
Toady is the man who Peter Molyneux wishes he was

Quote from: ToadyOne
dragon pus was like creamy gold. Infect and collect!

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10303 on: January 13, 2010, 12:26:46 pm »

So I wouldn't say brain damage leaving you alive but afflicted is as "extremely rare" as you make it out to be.
Ya, there's just one little descriptive chunk that will clear it up: brain damage from fighting(or work accidents) should be mostly lethal.

I think that before we accept the blanket statement that brain damage should be mostly lethal, we should have an expert chime in.  The brain's very modular, and location of trauma has a huge effect on what happens.  I mean . . . brain stem gets damaged, you're probably toast.  Hypothalamus gets damaged, probably toast.  Anything having to do with maintaining homeostasis, and your outlook's not too rosy.  Obviously, any attack that immediately immediately pulverizes everything in your skull will encompass these areas which are vital to minute-by-minute function.

I'm reasonably sure, though, that anything causing damage in other ways--glancing blows by blunt objects, concussions, slashing injuries by smaller weapons, and especially piercing attacks--maybe things like spears assuming the area affected is limited, but especially bolts and arrows--is going to cause a variety of behavioral issues. 

I'd imagine seizures would be one of the most common manifestations, on par with blindness and loss of other senses or motor dysfunctions.  Probably more likely than, "Hey!  I like Olivine!", anyway.

edit: and by "an expert," I don't mean me.
Well we can gather quite a bit of information from the old Phineas Gage story.
*1850ish he had an (artifact) iron rod shot through his head in a relatively vertical angle. Psychology classes mention him a lot to explain how we figured out what the frontal lobe does based on how his apparently ceased it's functions, being severed and all. They don't usually give details about how bits of brain fell out of his head later while he was vomiting but hey, they teach this stuff to little kids.

Realistically I expect he'd have bled out in earlier eras and even so he got some kind of nasty infection that probably had a big chance of killing him.
In particular though I'd like to know any details about what the rod did to th bones it went through. I don't know the anatomy of the skull well enough to tell how much bone it went through at the bottom and can't begin to make predictions about how much damage bits of bone would have caused but I can see the top of the skull having not done much damage if there was no way to reverse the direction of force.

I don't know, I think it would be pretty depressing to see my newly recovered brain damage victim stop what they were doing and start seizuring all over the place.
Agreed. There's an adage that usually gets tossed around which hasn't yet -- it's important that additional features add fun or gameplay depth.

This doesn't add depth, because the very crux of it is that "we can't do anything about brain injuries." If they act like other injuries and just make the dwarf bedridden? That's cool, that's how I understand this concept should work. If they make the dwarf start doing something else, like forgetting jobs or who she's married to? I can't do anything about that. Why isn't the dwarf just bedridden?

Whether it adds "fun" is more contestable, but I don't think there are enough "personality matters" decisions in the game (nor a high enough resolution to observe them) that this is a fair argument right now. What kind of 'quirks' do you envision? If Toady were to go out of his way and add entirely new actions, then I could understand this working out -- battered dwarves who constantly took breaks to commiserate with the fortress's war dogs, or something like that. But I think that this would still more be "zany for the sake of zany" than "personality matters," no matter how it was implemented at present. Probably best to wait for the arc where socialization will be tackled.

EDIT: Trepanation would be a legitimate way to tackle the most commonly fatal brain injuries for adults. It's not out of the question to implement!
I'm thinking if they're doing the rarer brain-altering-injury stuff it would mostly just be pissing off friends until they lowered in status and possibly making new friends. In a more dark-age sort of society taking breaks to talk to dogs probably gets you locked up and that's manageable enough.

So, thanks to today's update, it seems like gremlins will be Fun incarnate. Pulling ftw levers, letting megabeasts loose, and sneaking up from underground? I think fire imps may have a challenger for "creature that has most often screwed over my fort".
I've been setting up a nice control room with all my levers and the note system to say which is which anyway so unless I get tons of stuff set up but forget to guard it I won't have quite so much FUN.

I'm thinking about enabling mechanics on just about everyone and just doing workshop profiles so I can get mechanisms installed quickly (seems like even with three or four mechanics they always want to eat and haul rocks around for half a season before work starts on that lever,) and thus have some stuff off by what it actually does.

If there's any ability to tell when you need to be extra careful you could have a control room with floodgates instead of doors and have the lever for the floodgate walled off.
but we like convenience even if it's risky so I'm sure Gremlins will be plenty of FUN for practically everyone n_n

Did that included glowing pit tiles?

Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

PermanentInk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10304 on: January 13, 2010, 12:32:18 pm »

EDIT: Trepanation would be a legitimate way to tackle the most commonly fatal brain injuries for adults. It's not out of the question to implement!

Are you kidding?  DF needs trepanation like a hole in the head.
Pages: 1 ... 685 686 [687] 688 689 ... 1065