Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 687 688 [689] 690 691 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3636365 times)

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #10320 on: January 13, 2010, 08:51:45 pm »

I suspect it's line-of-sight like all other invaders.

As far as I know, no invader or curiousbeast in the current version uses line-of-sight to seek out stuff. Goblins instinctively know where the nearest available dwarf is, and bears know exactly where your delicious mountains of booze lie.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10321 on: January 13, 2010, 09:00:58 pm »

Right now all critters have psychic powers and just know were they'll find whatever they want, its planned to change in the future, in parts, the first one probably being the fact everyone in a settlement knows you're a thief from the moment you pick up an owned item.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10322 on: January 13, 2010, 09:01:22 pm »

As far as I know, no invader or curiousbeast in the current version uses line-of-sight to seek out stuff. Goblins instinctively know where the nearest available dwarf is, and bears know exactly where your delicious mountains of booze lie.

LoS calcs eat CPU; Toady had to do extremely abstracted and simplified LoS for exploring the deep to avoid this problem; i sincerely doubt that Bears and whatnot use LoS, considering none of the other creatures do and Toady has told us about issues with LoS before.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #10323 on: January 13, 2010, 09:36:23 pm »

Well, one could always build gremlin traps around the entrance of one's fort:

____
 L|

L=lever, | = support, _ = floor

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10324 on: January 13, 2010, 09:51:24 pm »

rather like a BUILDINGDESTROYER trap, though those don't need levers.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10325 on: January 13, 2010, 10:16:04 pm »

Yea, in one fort, one or two (or three) mountain gnomes routinely hit the stonefall traps at the entrance every year, yet the booze is deep inside and about as far out of LoS as you can get.

Theres also the kobolds who ignore the crap left outside and try to head for who knows what inside your fort.

Sevrun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10326 on: January 13, 2010, 10:18:20 pm »

wow you guys are some clever buggers, you know that?  I'd have never considered a gremlin deathtrap or building destroyer deathtraps...  :o

I just want it to be done...  *sniffle* I've got two really boring classes this quarter so I have plenty of time to play.
Demon of Darkness

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10327 on: January 13, 2010, 11:15:50 pm »

Brain damage is generally a lot more subtle than Phineas Gage.  After a major concussion, it's not nearly as unusual as would be nice for people to lose their sense of smell, have trouble with balance, begin to suffer migraines, or undergo changes of affect.  These days they might put you in the hospital for observation after a big blow to the head, but for those who aren't suffering an acute problem, there's as little treatment as there was a million years ago.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10328 on: January 13, 2010, 11:37:07 pm »

Maybe I need to reevaluate the level of damage I've been assuming happens when dwarves get knocked out... maybe.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10329 on: January 14, 2010, 12:29:17 am »

Quick question-

With the update of animals flesh and body structure, will hunters be more cautious about what they hunt?
 I have a few hunters outside, and i seem to see

Urist McDumbhunter cancels hunt: Interrupted by Elephant
Urist McDumbhunter cancels drink: passed out from own stupidity
Urist McDumbhunter  cancels hope: entirely fucked.
Urist McDumhunter has died.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #10330 on: January 14, 2010, 01:29:22 am »

Right now all critters have psychic powers and just know were they'll find whatever they want, its planned to change in the future, in parts, the first one probably being the fact everyone in a settlement knows you're a thief from the moment you pick up an owned item.

Actually in the current version you are not marked as a thief until the first member of that civ sees you. That means that it is technically possible to run into a city at night, stel their weapons, and then get away without being seen and the weapons will shift over to being yours. However, if anyone sees you with those weapons before you travel again, then they will not.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10331 on: January 14, 2010, 06:36:42 am »

I've heard it said before that every time you drink alchohol, it causes *some* level of irreversable brain damage. I'm not sure that's true, but it's something to consider, when thinking about an entire Fortress of creatures that require alchohol just to get through an 8 hour shift.

Can I design creatures who's brains/nerves *will* heal? Or is that being hardcoded?

On the subject of doors, two questions I'd like answered:

1. Building materials aside, whether made out of wood or stone or glass or steel, will it be harder to get through a Masterwork door than it will one without any quality levels?

And 2. Will there be a separation in quality levels between items with higher artistic/aesthetic value, and ones with better structural design?

Will there be the ability to make choices about, or between, form and function, when our dwarfs are creating something?

In other words, will the game recognise a difference between a pretty letter opener, and a tough survival knife, each with the same potential selling value, and each made with the same level of skill?

To Aqizzar: I'm really excited about underground civs. Specifically troglodytes. Those bastards have (unaccountably) been an enormous thorn in the side of every single Fortress I've made in the past 2 weeks. I've had to set up Trog extermination squads and do regular Trog-sweeps just to keep their numbers manageable. They've been a lot of Fun, in other words, and I'd love to be able to see, or atleast have better tools to mod in, real depth going on with them.

Ofcourse, that's all just hope and speculation. We've been given (that I've seen) less info on underground civs than we have about the new and improved HFS.

For they would be your masters.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10332 on: January 14, 2010, 06:43:22 am »

Alcohol, like many poisons, kills brain cells.

Fortunately, unless you overdo it, the amount of brain cells a drink or two kills are easily replaced.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10333 on: January 14, 2010, 07:26:43 am »

Yes but if the alchohol kills the braincells, and if braincells can't be replaced, what exactly is replacing the cells?
For they would be your masters.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #10334 on: January 14, 2010, 07:46:19 am »

In case of dwarves, it's either muscle, liver, or beard cells.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India
Pages: 1 ... 687 688 [689] 690 691 ... 1065