Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 654 655 [656] 657 658 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3633727 times)

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #9825 on: January 05, 2010, 04:44:52 pm »

Ah yes, *that*.  I had imagined a re-writing of the current fluid dynamics.  ...
Why would water without any pressure move fast?

But ya, if there was some way to get it to teleport at maybe 3 instead of 7 but stop once it was level-ish the slowly widening slopes of water wouldn't stick out as much.

Your hopes are a bit screwy though as hydraulics dudes probably don't have an especially good way of representing water in tiles like these.
That and Toady, being a mathematic professor, probably understand hydraulic sufficiently.  The only difficulty facing him is HOW to implement hydraulic into Dwarf Fortress without the FPS being shot to hell.
Remember, one of the most difficult problem for computer to simulate is fluid dynamics (if you try to do it realistically).
Though I think the current issue with Dwarf Fortress' fluid dynamic is that water seems to have a really high viscosity (which will result in water flowing really slow down a channel).  Of course, this may be an artifact of the fluid being represented in 1/7 chunks (low viscosity fluid will spread to a thin film rapidly, while tracking it in 1/7 chunk inherently slows it's rate of spread).
If you've watched the numbers dance very much it's clear that the units glide around on top of the next layer below them as a group but in a random sort of direction unless they hit a spot two digits lower at which case they fall down to that level and possibly continue the process. The teleport behavior requires actual pathing so it's slower but this non-wander behavior gives the kind of constant directional progress we want.

Exactly.

Anyway, I was operating under the assumption that if Toady were able to do it himself and it were easy, he would have already.  I hadn't thought of the performance issue, but there are still some odd properties with water that come about because of innaccurate simulation (again, my presumption).

For example:

1) if you channel into the floor and it has access to a larger body of water above it, nothing happens.  So a toilet-like U-bend (S-bend?) isn't possible.
The u bend was one of the first things checked to see if water pressure worked. I guess maybe if you've got water that isn't moving and channel into it it might not notice right away but-
One of the performance safety mechanisms in place is that water will only teleport to lower levels. Otherwise you might get a single 1/7 pathing back and forth over the whole map endlessly. One tile is obviously not that scary but you know it's obviously not going to be just one tile often and a whole ocean of these would be awful.

2) if you channel a one tile access to a river, split access into 4 sub-channels, let those channels dump into a tube which has a one tile exit for the water at the bottom, and your tube overflows.  I guess because the 4-splits serves to suck more water from the river?  Pretty sure that's not right.
There aren't really flow rates for pressure water. It just zips about looking for the closest available spot to go.

3) again, you can have a 7-tile of water back-logged up a 1-tile channel accross the map and have it dump into a huge reservoir.  Water will actually seep into the ground and dry up before the reservoir fills, if it ever fills.  The water should flow faster in the channel and slow down once it gets into to the reservoir.  Pretty sure this is also not the case.
It is the case if you've got pressure, meaning that the source water is above the channel.

Perhaps you guys are right and its not a matter of expertise.  Either way, it doesn't seem to be working properly.  If I am wrong and water actually does work that way in large quantities, by all means disabuse me of my misconceptions.  But I am pretty sure (from an interview I read) that Shoku's got it right.
The problem is mostly only with water on the same layer. You can use things like pumps to force it to be more like the unleashed currents and with smart design it won't flood your fort.

One thing though is that for pressure water won't path through diagonals so if you absolutely must have the river divert underground and you want to give your dwarves wells or whatever from it just make the water move diagonally into them and it will do so at the relatively slow speed.

However, as it stands most users consider water to be too big a system drain and hate having sites with certain features, such as the end of underground rivers.

I suppose one way to make water move faster would be if 1/7 water flowed around like higher levels did. But then you might get a little puddle of water randomly skittering about like a living thing and muddying an entire level. But i think it would end up flowing faster.
Only slightly. The problem is how you have to wait for a 7/7 to find a tile that is 5/7 in order for it to drop down. This is easy and likely very close to a large group of 7/7 tiles but once you've stretched out a long way a 7/7 will have to wander a really long way to get there and the probability of that happening goes way down.

7/7 water would turn into 7x1/7 water faster if the 1/7 water was free to flow away because  2/7 water would not have to randomly walk all the way to the edge of the 1/7 water before it fell off.
Look closely at where you've got your 2/7s and 3/7s. Even with the 2's moving around you still don't get many 1/7s right up against your 3/7s.
But even so you'd only improve things by one seventh like that and that wouldn't be much.

Actually, from the way I understand it, things at/near the speed of light have time slow down relative to everything else around them. So it would be more like you'd be able to throw a rock, and then kill a dragon 1000 years in the future...
Well no, relativity means that time varies based on how fast you're traveling, or rather that light always looks like it's going the same speed.

So if you threw a dwarf at light speed he might think he had traveled for one second but to anyone else they'd see him having been shooting along for centuries. The thing is if he shot off a beam of light ahead of himself he'd see it go off just light light regularly does but if he shot a beam of light behind himself... he'd see it go off just like it regularly does. You'd think it would have to go slower ehind him or faster in front but the actual distance he's seeing gets strange as things behind him stretch out and thing ahead compact.

So what I'm getting at is that if you threw a dwarf and a dragon at light speed they could throw rocks that would kill each other 1000 years in our future.

Btw, the above sentence made me realize why a ship on conventional propulsion will never accelerate beyond lightspeed. Acceleration being velocity increase with time, say meters/second^2, there will be no way to accelerate when time stops for you. If you accelerate at meter/eternity^2, you don't accelerate.
Well there's an issue before that in that when you get things close to the speed of light pushing on them stops making them go faster and starts making them heavier. Eventually right up near the speed of light you'd need all the energy in the universe just to get half of the remaining difference between your speed and the speed of light.

The rock would perceive itself to be traveling through the universe at a speed greater than that of light
You're missing important information or talking about behavior you can't possibly have examples of. At the exact speed of light the light headed away from it would never get away so there'd only be some inbound light but is that really worth describing as observing yourself to be traveling beyond the speed of light?

My fault everyone, sorry.
You're a bad person and you should feel bad.

You should be sorry for giving them this kind of ammunition.  Remember folks, within Dwarf Fortress, there is no lightspeed or relativity.  Things can fly as fast as they want.

That said, I do hope it will still be possible to somehow throw mundane objects with such speed as to cause grievous bodily harm, just old time's sake.
Well I'm sure you could just mod the attribute ranges for dwarves to allow it.

Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9826 on: January 05, 2010, 05:00:42 pm »

New question.

Will the somewhat absurd tactic of making furniture out of ores be nerfed somehow, or will it still be a way to make high-value furniture?
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9827 on: January 05, 2010, 05:06:24 pm »

New question.

Will the somewhat absurd tactic of making furniture out of ores be nerfed somehow, or will it still be a way to make high-value furniture?

It won't be nerfed at all.  You'll be able to nerf it the same way you can in the current version (by modding the material values).

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #9828 on: January 05, 2010, 05:14:46 pm »

You'd see yourself going FTL long before you approached lightspeed. Your perception combined with your actual speed will make it seem the universe flies past you faster than lightspeed. Also, I thought light has a static finite speed? You won't see light shooting ahead of you if you're already at lightspeed, because that would mean light travels faster than light for an outside observer.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9829 on: January 05, 2010, 05:17:01 pm »

New question.

It won't be nerfed at all.  You'll be able to nerf it the same way you can in the current version (by modding the material values).

Or just use the economic stone mod thing, which makes it much easier to manage stuff like that.

Edit: Could we switch to a topic other than theories on relativity and FTL travel? Not that I don't like to read it, it's just not going anywhere.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 05:18:34 pm by smjjames »

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9830 on: January 05, 2010, 05:37:35 pm »

Someone design a flingcelerator where a dwarf pulls a lever, an object is flung by a bridge on the floor, then as it moves across a nearby space another bridge flings it again before it stops, and thuslike over and over again in waves of triggered bridges until the object breaks the speed of light.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9831 on: January 05, 2010, 05:46:53 pm »

I personally am really looking forward to the next five pages of "I'm not a theoretical physicist but..."
I am not a theoretical physicist, but my father was. unfortunately I cannot have him come and blow all these theories out of the water...

Quote from: Shoku
So if you threw a dwarf at light speed
I will merely say that that's where your argument falls apart, since accelerating anything with mass to c requires infinite energy. Apparently you caught this:
Quote from: Shoku
Eventually right up near the speed of light you'd need all the energy in the universe just to get half of the remaining difference between your speed and the speed of light.
You'd see yourself going FTL long before you approached lightspeed. Your perception combined with your actual speed
You're using the wrong speed-addition.

Also, in DF, presently light and sound are both infinitely fast instantaneously-propagating effects, therefore it is impossible to break either speed.

Toady, how often do you back up your work?
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

jokermatt999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9832 on: January 05, 2010, 05:59:25 pm »

I hope to Armok that we can't break the speed of light in DF, because I have no grasp whatsoever of theoretical physics.

Also, I don't recall this being answered before (although, if it has, I'm sure Footkerchief knows where), but with the material rewrite, will constructions now be required to be magma safe/fireproof?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9833 on: January 05, 2010, 06:14:17 pm »

Also, I don't recall this being answered before (although, if it has, I'm sure Footkerchief knows where), but with the material rewrite, will constructions now be required to be magma safe/fireproof?

Nope.  Wooden walls will be as magma-proof as always.  I would guess that constructions will become vulnerable to shattering, burnination, etc. as part of the siege improvements that Toady'll be doing after this release.

sproingie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9834 on: January 05, 2010, 06:23:50 pm »

You won't see light shooting ahead of you if you're already at lightspeed, because that would mean light travels faster than light for an outside observer.

You won't see it in any case because it's simply not possible under any circumstance.

Anyway, DF is unlikely to admit gunpowder or steam power, let alone warp drive.
Toady is the man who Peter Molyneux wishes he was

Quote from: ToadyOne
dragon pus was like creamy gold. Infect and collect!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9835 on: January 05, 2010, 06:26:54 pm »

Not unless you're using some sort of foldspace drive which basically stretches the fabric of space to make you travel faster than light while not ACTUALLY going faster than light.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9836 on: January 05, 2010, 06:32:31 pm »

You'd see yourself going FTL long before you approached lightspeed. Your perception combined with your actual speed will make it seem the universe flies past you faster than lightspeed. Also, I thought light has a static finite speed? You won't see light shooting ahead of you if you're already at lightspeed, because that would mean light travels faster than light for an outside observer.
Time dilation is such that no matter what speed you travel, light always appears to move at the same speed relative to you, even though it's speed does not change. Also the speed of light is not technically a constant, the speed of light in a vacuum is constant.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Cal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9837 on: January 05, 2010, 06:34:25 pm »

Also, I thought light has a static finite speed?

Light moves faster/slower in different mediums, possibly only slower with c being the maximum speed of it in a vaccum. In water for example, light moves at about 0.75c (correct me if I'm wrong but I think it's at least close to that.)
Urist McMother has given birth to hectoplets.
Urist McMother has bled to death.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9838 on: January 05, 2010, 06:35:00 pm »

That space-folding notion(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcubierre_drive), too, requires infinite energy to FTL, unfortunately (probably. it was shown for two dimensions...)citation
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9839 on: January 05, 2010, 06:39:53 pm »

That or spice transformed guild steersmen.

Really though, I was just jumping into the whole theoretical physics discussion going on here.
Pages: 1 ... 654 655 [656] 657 658 ... 1065