Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 656 657 [658] 659 660 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3633718 times)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #9855 on: January 05, 2010, 11:30:29 pm »

New question.

Will the somewhat absurd tactic of making furniture out of ores be nerfed somehow, or will it still be a way to make high-value furniture?

It won't be nerfed at all.  You'll be able to nerf it the same way you can in the current version (by modding the material values).
I think he meant how making furniture from ore isn't worth less than making it from bars so you can get lots more native aluminum statues by making the raw economic stone available for the task.

Yes, I know that.  Part of the problem is that the ores have the same material value as the metal.  If you mod the ore to have a lower material value, making furniture from ore is then worth less than making it from bars.  Clear now?

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9856 on: January 06, 2010, 04:24:53 am »

New question.

Will the somewhat absurd tactic of making furniture out of ores be nerfed somehow, or will it still be a way to make high-value furniture?

It won't be nerfed at all.  You'll be able to nerf it the same way you can in the current version (by modding the material values).
I think he meant how making furniture from ore isn't worth less than making it from bars so you can get lots more native aluminum statues by making the raw economic stone available for the task.

Yes, I know that.  Part of the problem is that the ores have the same material value as the metal.  If you mod the ore to have a lower material value, making furniture from ore is then worth less than making it from bars.  Clear now?
Ya, I'd been thinking the value of the bars was automatic for some reason.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

DreamThorn

• Bay Watcher
  • Seer of Void
    • View Profile
    • My game dev hobby blog (updates almost never)
« Reply #9857 on: January 06, 2010, 08:05:58 am »

I missed the relativity discussion!  :o

Since I actually am a theoretical physicist, I live for this stuff.

Just so that nobody argues about it again, I explain it here:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hopefully we won't have any more relativity discussions in this thread.
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #9858 on: January 06, 2010, 08:24:38 am »

Doesn't your mass turn into an imaginary number at above light-speed? *whistle*

Also, I realize this requires general relativity, but what exactly does it mean that your mass increases relative to objects moving relative to you? How can you tell? If you collide with one, then it looks to you like the other object is heavier, and to the other like you're heavier, so.. um, huh?
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

DreamThorn

• Bay Watcher
  • Seer of Void
    • View Profile
    • My game dev hobby blog (updates almost never)
« Reply #9859 on: January 06, 2010, 09:05:52 am »

Ok, I answer two last questions.  Anybody else wants to know something, they should start a thread (and tell me about it), or go get a degree or something.  :)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9860 on: January 06, 2010, 09:36:40 am »

Anyword from Toady? Since the last dev_now update it's been eerily quiet here. Where's our favourite toad?  :(

The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

jpwrunyan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9861 on: January 06, 2010, 10:18:48 am »

@shoku re: water

Basically, the game needs to be aware of the difference between a static body of water and a dynamic one.  As it is, it makes no distinction.  Once this sort of thing happens, then FPS would only get hurt when water starts to flow.  Furthermore, I don't see any other way around modelling beyond the tiles immediately adjacent to a tile of water.  Somehow the game needs to realize:  "Hey, I'm a 7/7 deep thingy of water next to a completely vacant thingy of space.  I better change that fast!  So let's see, where should I move to..." and kill the FPS if need be, at least it will only be killed for moment if the flow isn't into a chasm or some other endless extreme. 
It does that just fine. You can expect a large body of water to very quickly fill up a room you've accidentally carved into it and piercing an aquifer floods your fort at a suitable rate.

The slow water issue only shows up when you've got 7/7 next to a long stretch of 6/7 next to a long stretch of 5/7 and so on.

No, no it doesn't do it just fine.  Something that only works under certain circumstances and not under others is not working fine, in my opinion.  We're not disagreeing on the issues, of course.  Just apparently on whether we should be satisfied with the way it works (ie whether it is a problem or not).  A 7/7 tile should be able to "look ahead" a bit (beyond its immediately adjacent tiles) and more aggressively dump its content.  It would be interesting to experiment by surrounding a space of 7/7 water with floodgates and then open them simulateously to see if the 7/7 immediately becomes 7 1/7 tiles in an appropriately large room.  I am willing to bet 50 dwarfbucks it doesn't.  Yeah, a small room will flood *pretty* quickly, but a long channel simply will not.  Anyway, another problem is the way time is very relative in dwarf fortress.  But even given that, I say it should not take a full year for water to flow from one end of a channel to the other given uninterrupted input.  That's the basis of that argument.  If we can't agree on that, then there's no point arguing about flow and this other esoteric stuff.

Last time I checked U-bends didn't work perfectly, they only fill to one level under the source level.
To ilustrate this situation:

Code: [Select]
Source
   |
   V      
OOOOOO  OOOOOOOO
77777O  O.......  <-Safe area
OOOO7O  O7OOOOOO
   O7O  O7O
   O7OOOO7O
   O777777O
   OOOOOOOO

I tested with an underground pool, there were probably some strange things going on there...
Code: [Select]
OO77777777777777777OO
OOO7777777777777OOOOO
OO7777777777777777OOO
OOO7777777777777OO __←mined out with open (channeled floor)
OO77777777777777777OO
Anyway, got no love from that.  Unfortunately, I don't have the save anymore to go back and check.  So I might be wrong.

edit: mispelled "tiles"

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #9862 on: January 06, 2010, 10:29:22 am »

Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Totaku

• Bay Watcher
  • The little oni that strikes the earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #9863 on: January 06, 2010, 10:37:32 am »

Anyword from Toady? Since the last dev_now update it's been eerily quiet here. Where's our favourite toad?  :(

Well if you looked around the forum you'd noticed he's posted something in the last few days.

Long story short, he's getting better, but is still feeling the lingering after effects of the flu (Mainly fatigue and the chills). He's still got a little ways to full recovery, so we should be patient. It'll likely be a week or two before he's back on his feet to good enough condition to work on last few reminaing bits of the underground and then testing everything and fixing the small extra features.

Though I will point out if you look at his profile he was on last night. So chance are he's trying, but like I said, it'll take time since he's still recovering. He did say after all it may be about a few days to a week before he can do anything. So let's take our time, he's is recovering after all.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 10:41:52 am by Totaku »
That's one small step for man, one giant leap for Otakukind!

And maker of the mod in progress known as Suika Fortress Now for 0.34.xx!

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #9864 on: January 06, 2010, 10:42:47 am »

Time for a new round of predictions then? I predict February 14, unless toady finds a special someone to spend that particular day with in the meantime.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9865 on: January 06, 2010, 11:03:22 am »

Cheers Totaku.

Spoiler: Science! (click to show/hide)
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9866 on: January 06, 2010, 11:08:50 am »

Time for a new round of predictions then? I predict February 14, unless toady finds a special someone to spend that particular day with in the meantime.

Which,

(if the chinese cookery pamphlet that came out of my monthly food magazine subscription is anything to go by)

Is (Chinese) New Year!

Which means the new year predictions were right all along ... (!?)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #9867 on: January 06, 2010, 11:10:01 am »

Spoiler: More science! (click to show/hide)
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

shadow_slicer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Physics sub-thread
« Reply #9868 on: January 06, 2010, 12:23:51 pm »

Spoiler: Quantum physics issues (click to show/hide)

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9869 on: January 06, 2010, 12:31:28 pm »

May I suggest the antimatter/lightspeed discussion get's its own thread?

It's interesting, but it doesn't belong in this thread.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.
Pages: 1 ... 656 657 [658] 659 660 ... 1065