Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 653 654 [655] 656 657 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3633734 times)

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #9810 on: January 05, 2010, 01:51:14 pm »

Man, poor Toady has been sick for well over a week now. That shit is rough.

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9811 on: January 05, 2010, 02:21:30 pm »

Be amusing if legendary throwers could break the speed of sound with their throws.  Or how it currently seems to be, the speed of light.
This could in handy, you could kill dragons that have died before you were born:

Urist McLegendarythrower: "I'm going to kill the Dragon Fiertreasure the Fiery treasure of Fire."
Bomrek McNonbeliever: "Wait, didn't he die last week due to randomly appearing rocks?"
Urist McLegendarythrower: "Exactly."
Bomrek McNonbeliever: "I'm confused."
Bomrek McNonbeliever gets hit by a rock.
Bomrek McNonbeliever: "Hey, that hurt! Who threw that?"
Urist McLegendarythrower: "I will."
Urist McLegendarythrower throws a rock.

I hope that made sense...
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9812 on: January 05, 2010, 02:25:45 pm »

Actually, from the way I understand it, things at/near the speed of light have time slow down relative to everything else around them. So it would be more like you'd be able to throw a rock, and then kill a dragon 1000 years in the future...

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #9813 on: January 05, 2010, 02:35:14 pm »

A rock thrown at lightspeed would experience less time than a rock thrown normally. That means that relative to the rock, your speed increases as its speed increases. And applied in reverse, it means that relative to you, a rock approaching lightspeed would instead slow down. A rock thrown at above lightspeed, if we extrapolate this non-scientific approach further, will immediately move backwards along its previous trajectory and implant itself in the ground, proceeding back along its timeline until it sufficiently decelerates.

Btw, the above sentence made me realize why a ship on conventional propulsion will never accelerate beyond lightspeed. Acceleration being velocity increase with time, say meters/second^2, there will be no way to accelerate when time stops for you. If you accelerate at meter/eternity^2, you don't accelerate.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9814 on: January 05, 2010, 02:39:29 pm »

Man, poor Toady has been sick for well over a week now. That shit is rough.

Don't want to dash your hopes, but a flu (especially a "nastier" variant like H1N1) can keep one out of action for quite some time. I once caught the flu and it took me a whole two weeks before I could go about my business in a normal capacity. It took another week to get back to a 100%.

The first week I had intense fever "burns" (at one point coming close to 42° celsius, which is not good. Not good at all). It actually hurt like hell to move any muscle. Not fun going to the toilet, I can assure you! Only in the second week could I do more than just laying there on a bed. Not to mention anything solid that I ate, felt like eating a brick and I felt the need to get rid of that brick ... fast. I only regained my appetite and the capability to actually keep food inside in the third week. Never been so sick in my entire (granted, rather short) life. *knocks on wood*

It all depends on your constitution, genetics and the severity of your flu. That said:

Take care, Toady!
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #9815 on: January 05, 2010, 02:43:28 pm »

Btw, the above sentence made me realize why a ship on conventional propulsion will never accelerate beyond lightspeed. Acceleration being velocity increase with time, say meters/second^2, there will be no way to accelerate when time stops for you. If you accelerate at meter/eternity^2, you don't accelerate.

That depends on your perspective. According to the time on the ship vs distance traveled, you can accelerate indefinately at a constant rate using a constant amount of force. Time dilation is fun!  ;D

Also, it can never accelerate to the speed of light either; it is the asymptote and thus can never be reached by something with mass.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #9816 on: January 05, 2010, 02:44:23 pm »

Actually, from the way I understand it, things at/near the speed of light have time slow down relative to everything else around them. So it would be more like you'd be able to throw a rock, and then kill a dragon 1000 years in the future...

No. You (an outside observer) would perceive the rock redshift and fly away, though by the time it actually approached the speed of light the photons it leaves in its wake would be very low in energy (like radio waves or worse). It would fly in a strait line at or near the speed of light. The rock would perceive itself to be traveling through the universe at a speed greater than that of light while it appears the outside universe ages at an accelerated rate proportional to the perceived velocity in c. Likewise, an outside observer in or near the rocks path would perceive it moments before impact/passing as an intense high energy gamma ray burst.

An object traveling near the speed of light will not "teleport" into either the past or future.

c is an asymptotic point on a curve expressing certain fundamental aspects of space time, it is not possible to cross that threshold with anything less than infinate energy.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #9817 on: January 05, 2010, 02:55:44 pm »

They're only fundamental if you believe they are. Some stuff can apparently breach the speed of light in a vacuum. And we still don't rightly know how gravity works. Without the capability for destroying or creating planets (or at least planetoids) to monitor the motion of their satellites, we never will.

And of course, throwing a rock so hard it becomes a gamma ray burst is something a dwarf might learn to do.

edit:
Spoiler: Heh (click to show/hide)

edit2:
Spoiler: Heh heh (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 03:01:49 pm by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9818 on: January 05, 2010, 03:02:49 pm »

I personally am really looking forward to the next five pages of "I'm not a theoretical physicist but..."

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9819 on: January 05, 2010, 03:04:49 pm »

My fault everyone, sorry.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9820 on: January 05, 2010, 03:13:01 pm »

You should be sorry for giving them this kind of ammunition.  Remember folks, within Dwarf Fortress, there is no lightspeed or relativity.  Things can fly as fast as they want.

That said, I do hope it will still be possible to somehow throw mundane objects with such speed as to cause grievous bodily harm, just old time's sake.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9821 on: January 05, 2010, 03:14:15 pm »

If we are going to add realistic physics, then dwarves should be able to make an atom bomb.....

Edit: What Aqizzar said.

I'm surprised my revival of my question didn't spark any discussion, heh.

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9822 on: January 05, 2010, 04:04:46 pm »

Surely if you threw something that fast it would become lava?
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9823 on: January 05, 2010, 04:07:38 pm »

Surely if you threw something that fast it would become lava?

Actually, you're right in a way. Think meteorites. They come into the atmosphere so fast that they become very hot and melt due to atmospheric friction.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #9824 on: January 05, 2010, 04:27:41 pm »

If we are going to add realistic physics, then dwarves should be able to make an atom bomb.....

I am presonally hoping for ballista arrows with depleted uranium arrowheads.
Pages: 1 ... 653 654 [655] 656 657 ... 1065