Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 515 516 [517] 518 519 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3636778 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #7740 on: December 01, 2009, 10:50:53 pm »

Heh, a really good artefact thread....I expect he was in a fey mood when he wrote it.  The thread is made of posts.  It is studded with finely crafted links, and contains an image of Footkerchief in pixels.  The Footkercheif is nodding his head. 

Well it is older then people think, over a year old at this point: April 11, 2008

I was forced to make a new thread "Artifact Suggestions Redux" When I started to make a bunch of artifacts and I had little-no idea if I was making doubles. Unfortuntely unlike my last thread I've had little possitive response. Ive had more "This thread is pointless" posts :P

But such is life.

I won't abandon it anytime soon, baring one possibility, even without much forum support.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 10:56:07 pm by Neonivek »

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #7741 on: December 01, 2009, 11:05:04 pm »

We need a new FoTF thread when the new version comes out. Who shall be the one to create it? We can't go around with ten or twenty FoTF threads.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7742 on: December 01, 2009, 11:05:46 pm »

We need a new FoTF thread when the new version comes out. Who shall be the one to create it? We can't go around with ten or twenty FoTF threads.

Toady COULD make it...

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7743 on: December 01, 2009, 11:09:32 pm »

Yeah, just let Toady make it:

Quote from: Toady One
So on FotF threads (not sure if this one or the other one would be the best place to ask, but this has the best name for it), what do people want out of those now anyway?  There are often questions mixed with meandering degeneracy, and I'm not sure how to set that up.  If I sticky one, I'd like it to be one I've made myself, so that I can change the OP if necessary, but I dunno what the OP should be, really, or what people want out of it.

Although hopefully there won't be as much need for a FotF thread after this release, since people will be busy talking about the releases themselves instead of asking speculative questions etc.

Incidentally, it might be nice if the FotF threads got their own archive subforum or something.  Would make it easier to search for dev info. 
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 11:14:29 pm by Footkerchief »

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7744 on: December 01, 2009, 11:16:47 pm »

I thought you had your own little custom library program that automatically archived and indexed everything Toady said every about anything, Footkerchief.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7745 on: December 01, 2009, 11:19:40 pm »

I thought you had your own little custom library program that automatically archived and indexed everything Toady said every about anything, Footkerchief.

To my knowledge he uses the search engine on this site.

In fact you can even use it to get quotes from individuals. Here as I find you saying "Cookies"

I should eat a box of cookies.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 11:21:26 pm by Neonivek »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7746 on: December 01, 2009, 11:21:39 pm »

I friggin' wish.  No, I just have a very rough mental index.  The forum search software is pretty good, except that the general search never returns more than one matching post from a given thread, and the in-thread search doesn't allow you to restrict the search by user, and returns entire posts instead of relevant snippets. 

Toady has a little custom database or something for private dev info, which is apparently more extensive than the dev info he keeps online.  He talked about it here.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 11:24:05 pm by Footkerchief »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7747 on: December 01, 2009, 11:26:48 pm »

Hmmm Footkerchief said Chicken in at least 10 different threads unlike Zchris who never said it once.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 11:29:25 pm by Neonivek »

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7748 on: December 01, 2009, 11:34:40 pm »

I friggin' wish.  No, I just have a very rough mental index.  The forum search software is pretty good, except that the general search never returns more than one matching post from a given thread, and the in-thread search doesn't allow you to restrict the search by user, and returns entire posts instead of relevant snippets. 

Toady has a little custom database or something for private dev info, which is apparently more extensive than the dev info he keeps online.  He talked about it here.
They are called "notes".  Pretty essential for anything larger than "HELLO WORLD"

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7749 on: December 01, 2009, 11:36:06 pm »

I guess if I had absolutely no life I could take everything Toady ever said and create a database where it is organised accordingly.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7750 on: December 01, 2009, 11:38:50 pm »

It shouldn't be all that hard.

Oh, wait.  It would be x10 easier server side.  Nevermind.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7751 on: December 01, 2009, 11:40:23 pm »

Well Toady made more then 8600 posts in total.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7752 on: December 02, 2009, 12:18:45 am »

fish leather
I was fairly certain one could in fact make fish leather in one's fortress.  You just need a chamber with untamed large fish in it (carp or whatever), drain the chamber, then butcher the dead fish.  I got into fish farming in one fortress at some point (following I3eReNt or whatever his name was).

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7753 on: December 02, 2009, 12:24:13 am »

I was forced to make a new thread "Artifact Suggestions Redux" When I started to make a bunch of artifacts and I had little-no idea if I was making doubles. Unfortuntely unlike my last thread I've had little possitive response. Ive had more "This thread is pointless" posts :P

But such is life.

I won't abandon it anytime soon, baring one possibility, even without much forum support.

I did not mean my response to be negative, but to change your target to one that would be useful, as in something Toady would read and consider when the time came.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7754 on: December 02, 2009, 12:25:30 am »

They are called "notes".  Pretty essential for anything larger than "HELLO WORLD"

Look at the link he provided. He actually has a database program for them, not just text notes scattered around.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==
Pages: 1 ... 515 516 [517] 518 519 ... 1065