Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 513 514 [515] 516 517 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3636685 times)

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #7710 on: December 01, 2009, 04:14:51 pm »

I predict it'll be released a week after Toady releases it.

That way I won't be disappointed.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7711 on: December 01, 2009, 04:46:29 pm »

Have caste selectors been added to the creature graphics system?  I half suspect that's being put off until work begins on the "Full graphics support" item from ESV (currently standing at #7).  I guess ideally the graphics def would work like the new creature def itself does, where you can specify generic stuff for all castes, then use a SELECT_CASTE block to set graphics for a specific caste's professions etc.  That would make backward compatibility automatic, I think.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 02:40:51 am by Footkerchief »

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7712 on: December 01, 2009, 06:59:58 pm »

I'm still going with my guess of the new version being released sometime between before and after it is done.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #7713 on: December 01, 2009, 07:13:59 pm »

Are we going to be able to make cloth quivers at some point? They show up often enough on migrants and raiders, but we still can't do that ourselves.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7714 on: December 01, 2009, 07:22:37 pm »

Are we going to be able to make cloth quivers at some point? They show up often enough on migrants and raiders, but we still can't do that ourselves.

Maybe is has something to do with Bolts... Though maybe not.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7715 on: December 01, 2009, 07:58:24 pm »

Yet another of the odd discrepancies between generated equipment and what you can actually make in Fortress Mode.  Let's see: silk/cloth quivers, wood/rock decorations on items, fish leather (which might be a realistic bug)... are there others?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7716 on: December 01, 2009, 08:01:39 pm »

Plus some artifacts ignore the rules of materials. (Gem anything)

Though those are artifacts and technically they defy the laws of physics.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7717 on: December 01, 2009, 08:10:17 pm »

This is Dwarf Fortress.  Physics has no place in a game, except what the creator wills.  Or is a bug, either/or.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7718 on: December 01, 2009, 08:17:15 pm »

This is Dwarf Fortress.  Physics has no place in a game, except what the creator wills.  Or is a bug, either/or.

Well what I meant was that Gems, small ones, seem to have the ability to create things many times their own size.

Though I guess Moody Dwarves have the ability to Grow Gems.

Though I realise that "Large Gems" are likely a Place Holder for a more complicated Large Gem System.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7719 on: December 01, 2009, 08:21:51 pm »

Exactly.  ALPHA RELEASE, BRO.

Name Lips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7720 on: December 01, 2009, 08:26:52 pm »

The to-do list is getting so short... I'm excited!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7721 on: December 01, 2009, 08:36:29 pm »

Though I realise that "Large Gems" are likely a Place Holder for a more complicated Large Gem System.

Probably a safe assumption.  Item size variation is slowly but inexorably making its way into the crafting system -- "cloth and thread items have associated lengths/areas now," and we may see something similar for butchery byproducts like bone, to prevent ridiculous stuff like fish bone bolts.

Toady's said before that he's worried detailed clothing sizes would be a burden for the player, but I don't see why, as long as creatures can wear oversize (and slightly undersize) items.  It would be cute to see dwarven children running around in their parents' shirts, etc.  Each clothing item could have one or more relative sizes corresponding to the relsizes of the body parts it's worn on, so a goblin could wear a human's clothing and so on (might get tricky if trying to wear the clothing of a non-humanoid race).  Armor usage might be hampered by ill-fitting armor.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7722 on: December 01, 2009, 08:37:53 pm »

Don't forget the largest variation possible just went from the kg equivalent to the gram equivalent

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7723 on: December 01, 2009, 08:42:46 pm »

Not sure what you're getting at.  Creature size variation is a lot more precise now, yeah, which is good since it reduces rounding error, like if you wanted creatures to be able to wear clothing up to 50% oversize.

Another thought: crafts, toys, weapons etc. should also have variable sizes, and those sizes should be linked to the sizes of the creatures that created for them.  It doesn't make sense for a kobold and a human to use bows of the same size (or power), a giant's ring could serve as a human's bracelet, and so on.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 08:45:52 pm by Footkerchief »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7724 on: December 01, 2009, 08:45:44 pm »

Well it isn't JUST race to race it is also age to age that complicates clothing.

Though Cloth clothing should be flexible in terms of who can wear them unless it is form fitting (which could be considered Tailored)

Metal not as much and should take into account layers.

Though this isn't the thread to beat out how making clothing sizes work. Too bad too I was almost into it :P
Pages: 1 ... 513 514 [515] 516 517 ... 1065