Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 512 513 [514] 515 516 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3636674 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #7695 on: December 01, 2009, 11:43:09 am »

It works fine for me, I guess the zero doesn't show up for some reason as it likely should have been 7:40 hours as in 7 hours 40 min.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7696 on: December 01, 2009, 11:53:53 am »

I seen 6:6 hours

Which is hillarious because it is either 7 hours or 6 hours 6 minutes.

Either way something is wrong.

Note: Yeah I am aware it could be 6 hours and 36 minutes

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7697 on: December 01, 2009, 11:58:13 am »

Actually, I think it may be missing the 0 in front because I see its 6:3 right now and its actually three min to 12 right now, at the time of posting anyways.

Edit: It could just be the zero not showing up for whatever reason.

Edit: Just looked and it does, maybe its the format?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 12:00:03 pm by smjjames »

mattmoss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7698 on: December 01, 2009, 01:40:00 pm »

Consider rope/ladder/etc. building particularly for downward movement into large open

IMO, this would be one of the neatest things to have in the new version coming up. I know a lot of the things that have been done are much more important and will have greater impact on gameplay. But I just love the idea of building entire fortresses suspended from a single chain... or at the least being able to build downward into chasms and such. Such a rope/ladder would almost be the inverse of a pillar... holding everything up from above rather than from below.

And then of course, you put a lever on the ladder, lure gobbos underneath, and throw the lever, destroying the ladder and dropping an "island" 20 Z-levels onto the goblins. Whee!

Vicomt

• Bay Watcher
  • Just call me Vic.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #7699 on: December 01, 2009, 01:46:19 pm »

Consider rope/ladder/etc. building particularly for downward movement into large open

IMO, this would be one of the neatest things to have in the new version coming up. I know a lot of the things that have been done are much more important and will have greater impact on gameplay. But I just love the idea of building entire fortresses suspended from a single chain... or at the least being able to build downward into chasms and such. Such a rope/ladder would almost be the inverse of a pillar... holding everything up from above rather than from below.

And then of course, you put a lever on the ladder, lure gobbos underneath, and throw the lever, destroying the ladder and dropping an "island" 20 Z-levels onto the goblins. Whee!

you can currently do that with a support iirc

edit - apart from the fact dwarfs can't go up/down it

Daywalkah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7700 on: December 01, 2009, 02:48:20 pm »

Random almost unrelated from everything above post:

The new version is making very good progress, I will conquer all who appose me! He he he he. I wonder how Ironblood would do as a general.......
Magma cancels flow; interrupted by Ironblood.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7701 on: December 01, 2009, 02:49:58 pm »

Worse, since now there are reasonable caps on attributes. So I don't think you'll get superhero dwarves so much anymore.

He might get fat, though!
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #7702 on: December 01, 2009, 02:52:59 pm »

Your countdown avatar doesn't display single minutes properly- 7:4 hours?

Zero in front of 4 is missing, obviously. Zeroes are for loosers!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7703 on: December 01, 2009, 02:57:52 pm »

Worse, since now there are reasonable caps on attributes. So I don't think you'll get superhero dwarves so much anymore.

Well is Super Fat realistic either? Though I guess you would have to add Fat related diseases to make it realistic.

Though I realise that you had to pretty much be a Noble (or anyone else who can earn money without doing work while being able to afford servants) to get REALLY fat.

Though as for Muscle limits, I am actually quite interested in the ability to go beyond it.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7704 on: December 01, 2009, 03:03:43 pm »

Since it was brought up, here's a quick refresher for everyone on how a creature gets fat, how that fat functions, and how the game describes it:

Quote from: Areyar
-Will the metabolism have a variable portion, that can be altered depending on activeness/sedentiarism, age etc.
-Will there be a personality trait that makes some dwarves eat more than others? (in relation to their energy requirements)

Right now it's just an attribute like any other, set on creation.  There is a personality trait that would control a lack of moderation in general, but it doesn't do much if anything yet.

Quote from: G-Flex
Will every dwarf have the same ceiling for how high their attributes can go? And if so, is it reasonable to conclude that all your soldier dwarves will eventually be thin as rails since they'll all have super-high physical attributes? And would this be balanced by some dwarves eating substantially more than others based on personality traits and the like?

Ceilings of attributes are a percentage of the starting value.  So a strength 1000 dwarf might attain 2000, and a strength 750 dwarf might attain 1500.  It can all be set by attribute in the raws.  I don't think potential is variable between individuals now (as a percentage), but it might as well be later.

[...]

Metabolism is just the recuperation attribute, which affects how fast wounds heal and how fat works.  Fat is burned during strenuous activities.  It doesn't actually work as energy storage per se though, in that fat people aren't better for marathons etc., it just leaves them alive a little longer when they are starving to death.  I haven't done anything with calories or nutrition or whatever.  That's all later.  The size of creatures gradually change now, so there will be a brief period where a human child is the average overall size of a dwarf, yeah.  There might be size differentiation for clothes later, but only when we can handle it without it being a total nightmare for the player.

Quote from: lordcooper
How can you have a tall, thin body layered with fat? (number14)

The issue here is that a body can be the opposite of broad, in terms of the shoulders and so on, and then they guy can eat a bit.  It's possible to just suppress the "thin" word, which might end up being the best, but it conveys less information.  Some of the descriptions say things like "would be very thin but packed on a great deal of lard instead" and so on.

Hortun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7705 on: December 01, 2009, 03:04:09 pm »

Looks like all of the squad changes are done! So little left. The release can't be far off now. :D

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7706 on: December 01, 2009, 03:20:17 pm »

I still predict Jan 6th.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #7707 on: December 01, 2009, 03:30:16 pm »

I am very excited about all these delicious changes that are going in. I see a lot of potential. I don't think there has been this big a shift in the nature of DF since the 3d expansion.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7708 on: December 01, 2009, 03:40:58 pm »

I have to agree, and now im all giddy!  ;D
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7709 on: December 01, 2009, 03:41:51 pm »

I still predict Jan 6th.

Did you account for Underground week?