Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 416 417 [418] 419 420 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3635844 times)

Timst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #6255 on: November 04, 2009, 06:36:39 am »

However, if you consider the staggering size of that, imagine the MASSIVE amount of stone that could result. We are going to need a far more efficient method of dealing with excess stone if we are going to do much more than a small borehole and a few long tunnels down that deep.

This brings up another question:

When will there be more efficient ways of dealing with excess stone? I know we have ways to get rid of it, but it has to be hauled first and hauling stone one by one is extremely inefficient when we are talking about tens of thousands of rock. A few thousand is doable if you have patience or you use [SPEED:0], but with tens of thousands, it takes quite a while even with [SPEED:0]

So, when will we be getting a portable (or otherwise mobile) mining laser to vaporize said rock? :) (making a joke, obviously)

Actually, I think rock hauling is about right as it is; its everything-else-hauling that needs, appropriately enough, an overhaul.

Yeah, right now dwarves can carry one and only one item per trip. While it is pretty realistic when carrying say, a boulder of stone, or a spear, or a barrel, it is not when they have to do 12 trips to gather every piece of clothing of a dead dwarves... or recovering a bolt, or a rat corpse, etc. The amount they can carry should be based on weight : the dwarves will keep collecting item related to his job until he's full (after all, an adventurer can carry hundreds of small rocks in his pockets, so...), then he'll head for the next stockpile.

He'll be really more efficient for recovering dead dwarves stuff or cleaning butcher shops.

Poojawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6256 on: November 04, 2009, 07:34:08 am »

In terms of more efficient rock hauling, perhaps if you have a lot of excess leather around, you can make conveyor belt materials? add buckets and a Wind/watermill, and you've got an efficient, compact way of moving the stone from your mining level up to where your masons are furiously making bricks to be made into a mega project?

I'd love to see the mechanical side of things expanded.

hmmm... perhaps addy fibers woven into cloth, riveted together and addy buckets allow for a magma pumping station up z-levels without the mess of pumps..

I might be getting ahead of myself here though.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6257 on: November 04, 2009, 07:34:24 am »

Well for Dwarves we need to combine the idea of a Mine with ideas of underground cities/locales.

Since Fortresses are basically both

Oddly enough one theme that comes up constantly that hasn't been inputted into the game is using walls as storage space.

Poojawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6258 on: November 04, 2009, 07:41:04 am »

Well for Dwarves we need to combine the idea of a Mine with ideas of underground cities/locales.

Since Fortresses are basically both

Oddly enough one theme that comes up constantly that hasn't been inputted into the game is using walls as storage space.

I can see the problem now when you go to 'Carve Fortifications' and instead do 'Carve Shelving' and don't realize that you just ruined that entire part of your defenses >.>

keith.lamothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6259 on: November 04, 2009, 08:29:39 am »

I can see the problem now when you go to 'Carve Fortifications' and instead do 'Carve Shelving' and don't realize that you just ruined that entire part of your defenses >.>
The solution is simple: pour magma on it.

Richards

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6260 on: November 04, 2009, 10:13:48 am »

I think the newest idea to remove the dungeon master's ability to tame exotic animals until guilds are programmed in is a bit silly. Why remove a game play mechanic for a fictitious reason? At least you should keep it in until you program some other way for players to tame these animals. Or perhaps make it a skill pertaining only to the DM?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 10:15:49 am by Richards »

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #6261 on: November 04, 2009, 10:21:16 am »

They still let you tame exotic animals.  It's just weird that it works the way it does, weirder than in the currently released version.  Preserving the other quirks would actually take some active work and make even less sense, so those are out (liking rubies etc.).
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6262 on: November 04, 2009, 10:55:14 am »

Looks like an end of the year release is becoming a possibility.

I know toady said that its not likely, but I'm bieng optimistic here. It just depends on how long the rest of this stuff will take.

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6263 on: November 04, 2009, 11:06:56 am »

They still let you tame exotic animals.  It's just weird that it works the way it does, weirder than in the currently released version.  Preserving the other quirks would actually take some active work and make even less sense, so those are out (liking rubies etc.).
Just an idea, but an in-game solution might be for your DM, upon first appointment, to go on a geas/quest and leave the site for, say, a year, coming back with the DM-only skills.

You could just move the character off-map for now, and when the Caravan/Army arcs are all done, actually have the DM travel to some mystical guild headquarters.

In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

Sysice

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6264 on: November 04, 2009, 11:43:03 am »

We don't have DMs with obsessions with cloaks anymore?  :'(
I managed to make a dog that bled bees.
Quote from: Threetoe
Imagine evil grass that looks like a mass of wriggling worms. Happy holidays!

PermanentInk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6265 on: November 04, 2009, 01:00:50 pm »

Dwarfs should be more eligible to become DM if they have an existing propensity for rubies, cloaks, exotic beasts, etc.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6266 on: November 04, 2009, 01:07:00 pm »

I am glad we are moving away from magical Dungeon Masters

skaltum

• Bay Watcher
  • DRAW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6267 on: November 04, 2009, 01:57:11 pm »

I am glad we are moving away from magical Dungeon Masters

:O but but the DM is like the coolest noble around  :'( even with the cloak and basic ores fetish.
I just realized, after adding the new body parts to the other races, that I have an entire squad of dwarves with a shield in each hand and swinging their axes with their penises. There's nightmare fuel for those goblins, in more ways than one.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6268 on: November 04, 2009, 02:05:58 pm »

It is an awsome that needed to die

zilpin

• Bay Watcher
  • 437 forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6269 on: November 04, 2009, 02:06:55 pm »

I don't suppose that there is any public beta available for download?
I'd love to start trying out the version as it stands, in fortress mode.
Pages: 1 ... 416 417 [418] 419 420 ... 1065