Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 179 180 [181] 182 183 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3573765 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #2700 on: June 24, 2009, 09:15:48 pm »

Hydras won't be growing back heads, according to Toady.

No he said that they won't be growing back more heads then they lost.

There are soo many uses for Regeneration of bodyparts I can't imagine it never making it into the game.

nagual678

• Bay Watcher
  • Noble Sam says: I want YOU for the Fortress Guard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2701 on: June 24, 2009, 09:55:49 pm »

Just my two cents, I think stuff like the standing production order suggestion "produce A when number of A < X" should be a part of the guild system. As I imagine it, at the beginning of the game, you have to manage everything as the fortress is new, which is something you can handle anyway as there aren't millions of things to micromanage yet. Then, as your fortress grows larger, you delegate stuff like this to nobles/appointees who in turn have requests ,etc... to keep the guild running. This is also part of the "who are you in the game" question, I'm not sure what dwarves producing stuff automatically brings to the table regarding that issue but I don't think I like it.

So yes to that suggestion but make it part of the benefits of having guilds, etc... Just having that feature is no fun. Make the player toil for it!

PsychoBuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2702 on: June 24, 2009, 10:00:51 pm »

There must be a cap...but seriously, how could an andventurer kill a hydra, which has 200 heads? Hell...even an army of champions should have problems with slaying a beast like that.

It could bleed to death.

No he said that they won't be growing back more heads then they lost.
There are soo many uses for Regeneration of bodyparts I can't imagine it never making it into the game
Yeah, 7 heads are plenty especially if each head attack independently. There could be a time limit to the regrowth of body parts allowing the hydra to survive better in world gen. but not be too powerful. Just a thought though.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 10:04:29 pm by Undeadstag »

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2703 on: June 25, 2009, 01:03:40 am »

There must be a cap...but seriously, how could an andventurer kill a hydra, which has 200 heads? Hell...even an army of champions should have problems with slaying a beast like that.

Throw coins at it until it has a -+Tin coin+- embedded in its heart?

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2704 on: June 25, 2009, 02:35:19 am »

Well instead of regrowing heads toady could use for every existing head a special type of poison (oh and for sea-serpents please too). Depending on how hard the scales oft he hydra are you might also need to remove them firt before you pierce the heart.

QtT: Has the Hydra 7 souls? And a question to the new Bodysystem: Can you use two different skin-layers for a creature? Say the Back of a creature is covered in ahard scaly skin while the belly is rather softand leathery? 

[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2705 on: June 25, 2009, 07:48:21 am »

And a question to the new Bodysystem: Can you use two different skin-layers for a creature? Say the Back of a creature is covered in ahard scaly skin while the belly is rather softand leathery? 

Definitely.  After defining a second material and tissue type for skin, you use a custom body detail plan.  The default vertebrate plan already kinda does this anyway, since tusks, horns etc. have exposed tissue layers that aren't skin.

Dareon Clearwater

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:colorful underwear]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2706 on: June 25, 2009, 10:16:30 am »

Quote from: Org
Toady, with military scheduling, is it possible to schedule soldiers off duty, to where they do engraving/mining/normal tasks?

Even if they are legendary?

Should be, yeah.

Aw, dude. Morul would have been SOO much easier with this.

There's a kind of honor to doing things before the interface changes make them easier.  Like I was very proud of my green glass obsidian farm (with roof, control room, overhead water tank, and steam release pipes) that had to be designated brick by brick.  Later ones along the same theme once construction designations were put in were nice and all, but there wasn't exactly as much sense of accomplishment.
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2707 on: June 25, 2009, 01:14:26 pm »

Well toady could set a limit for heads on a hydra. 255 for example. It would be amazing thought if you could chop the neck of a hydra away as renewable food source like in oots.

There must be a cap...but seriously, how could an andventurer kill a hydra, which has 200 heads? Hell...even an army of champions should have problems with slaying a beast like that.  :P
A true megabeast should be a problem for an army of champions.

Indeed, I agree. They are megabeasts afterall.  ;)

Im_Sparks

• Bay Watcher
  • Half man. Half machine. All messiah.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2708 on: June 25, 2009, 04:46:04 pm »

Well toady could set a limit for heads on a hydra. 255 for example. It would be amazing thought if you could chop the neck of a hydra away as renewable food source like in oots.

There must be a cap...but seriously, how could an andventurer kill a hydra, which has 200 heads? Hell...even an army of champions should have problems with slaying a beast like that.  :P
A true megabeast should be a problem for an army of champions.

Indeed, I agree. They are megabeasts afterall.  ;)

But isn't THAT much of a problem.. So it has X number of heads, a few spikes to the heart could do it in no problem.
Well treat me like the disease like the rats and the fleas, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Well treat me like the sea oh so salty and mean, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Let's shake hands if you want but soon both hands are gone, A-ha-ha!
Cut me down like a tree like the lumber or weeds, well discard who you please like the leaves off a tree. Drag me out of the sea and then teach me to breath. Give me forced health till I wish death on myself. Ah! Ha! Ha!
March on! March on! March on! March on! MARCH ON!

Lac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2709 on: June 25, 2009, 05:11:02 pm »

Well toady could set a limit for heads on a hydra. 255 for example.
a cap on heads, there's got to be a pun in there somewhere.
but this is DF - the backbone should eventually break under the weight of heads...

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2710 on: June 25, 2009, 06:21:44 pm »

All this talk about growing extra heads makes me think of this.
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2711 on: June 25, 2009, 06:35:09 pm »

Not the only one.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Volfram

• Bay Watcher
  • hate you all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2712 on: June 25, 2009, 07:55:23 pm »

All this talk about growing extra heads makes me think of this.

"So we thought our way past the test of the body, and we fought our way past the test of the mind..."

I like when they return.
Andir and Roxorius "should" die.

Yes, actually, I am trying to get myself banned.  I wish Toady would quit working on this worthless piece of junk and go back to teaching math.

Festin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2713 on: June 26, 2009, 05:21:09 am »

I have a small question/suggestion regarding the military updates
Will there be any changes to how the Royal Guard functions? Maybe they could do things like following the nobles around, or guarding their rooms.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2714 on: June 26, 2009, 05:49:37 am »

Good, remember everyone, bold for Toady mode-

Will the addition of containers to barracks, or any other such military changes, now make dwarves who lose clothing in wrestling practice pick it up and do something with it, instead of leaving it on the barracks floor?  In otherwords, will the barracks now function like an owned room for soldiers, so they store their owned items there?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.
Pages: 1 ... 179 180 [181] 182 183 ... 1065