Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 176 177 [178] 179 180 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3575579 times)

LordNagash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #2655 on: June 22, 2009, 08:41:00 pm »

Jeez I am having a bad day today : /

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2656 on: June 22, 2009, 10:51:34 pm »

Don't feel too bad. I didn't know about it either (or forgot about it).
For they would be your masters.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2657 on: June 23, 2009, 01:08:02 am »

Quote from: Org
Toady, with military scheduling, is it possible to schedule soldiers off duty, to where they do engraving/mining/normal tasks?

Even if they are legendary?

Should be, yeah.

Aw, dude. Morul would have been SOO much easier with this.

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #2658 on: June 23, 2009, 07:43:05 am »

Instead of calling everything a barracks, why not call a weapon rack or armor stand room an armory, and a box room a storeroom?
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

GaGrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2659 on: June 23, 2009, 08:34:18 am »

Probably to keep the mechanics clear.  "Barracks" seems to be a general term for military rooms - you can still split the functions up yourself into various areas, but it saves Toady One from having to make three or four designations for essentially overlapping functions.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2660 on: June 23, 2009, 10:03:22 am »

Too many new pages to read over the week I've been gone, so, here it is.  Sorry for doubling anything.

Cabinets are for boots and gloves!

This pertains to armor sorting.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Im_Sparks

• Bay Watcher
  • Half man. Half machine. All messiah.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2661 on: June 23, 2009, 10:57:51 am »

Rejoice?

Hmm.. I want a storeroom, as Techhead said. Though, a stockpile is more than great.
Well treat me like the disease like the rats and the fleas, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Well treat me like the sea oh so salty and mean, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Let's shake hands if you want but soon both hands are gone, A-ha-ha!
Cut me down like a tree like the lumber or weeds, well discard who you please like the leaves off a tree. Drag me out of the sea and then teach me to breath. Give me forced health till I wish death on myself. Ah! Ha! Ha!
March on! March on! March on! March on! MARCH ON!

Stele007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2662 on: June 23, 2009, 12:00:06 pm »

Shouldn't they keep regular clothing in cabinets?  Like dresses and socks?

Psychoceramics

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2663 on: June 23, 2009, 05:04:25 pm »

Question:

could we get this thread linked to on the dev_now page? Right now the only link is in one of the entries, I think it should be somewhere a little more permanent.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2664 on: June 23, 2009, 05:11:51 pm »

It used to get linked to from the dev_now page every time the list was updated.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Normandy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2665 on: June 23, 2009, 05:48:54 pm »

Would it be possible to have toggleable alert statuses instead of a single alert status? E.g. status 'eat in fancy hall' could be toggled on/off with alert status 'allow passage into tree farms'; it'd be silly if we couldn't have both on at the same time. In fact, I imagine alert statuses like meta-levers in this way.

A few things would have to be enforced: Alert statuses only affect burrows which are mentioned by them, e.g. my fancy dining hall alert would not affect the mason's burrow. In conflicts, the most recent change in alert status overrides any older settings (e.g. if both statuses try and change the usage of my fancy dining hall, only the newest one is heeded). An 'ignore all other alerts' flag that would cause all other alerts to be turned off. Basically, levers all over again.

Thndr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2666 on: June 23, 2009, 06:24:01 pm »

Would it be possible to have toggleable alert statuses instead of a single alert status? E.g. status 'eat in fancy hall' could be toggled on/off with alert status 'allow passage into tree farms'; it'd be silly if we couldn't have both on at the same time. In fact, I imagine alert statuses like meta-levers in this way.

A few things would have to be enforced: Alert statuses only affect burrows which are mentioned by them, e.g. my fancy dining hall alert would not affect the mason's burrow. In conflicts, the most recent change in alert status overrides any older settings (e.g. if both statuses try and change the usage of my fancy dining hall, only the newest one is heeded). An 'ignore all other alerts' flag that would cause all other alerts to be turned off. Basically, levers all over again.

Well having something as specific as "Eat in Fancy Hall" alert status isn't really... an alert status.

Cles

• Bay Watcher
  • I need some Cave Spider silk parachutes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2667 on: June 23, 2009, 06:31:47 pm »

Hey Toady, I was wondering about the feasibility of training up some sort of 'military worker' dwarf. There are plenty of situations when some emergency rebuilding would be useful but impossible due to the water level being too high, or masons/carpenters being too frightened of nearby creatures to build/demolish locations.

If we had some disciplined dwarfs whose job is to do this kind of thing in dangerous situations normal workers are not willing to enter it would make gameplay a lot less frustrating, especially when they refuse to plug up the hole that is flooding your fortress because the water level is an inch past their ankles.

I guess this can be related to any potential future sappers and underminers and any other such military non-combatants that might be assigned to squads.

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2668 on: June 23, 2009, 06:49:12 pm »

Well having something as specific as "Eat in Fancy Hall" alert status isn't really... an alert status.

"EVERYBODY RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!  NOTHING CAN SAVE YOU!  NOTHING...except the luxury of the newly-completed Legendary Dining Hall!"
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

Normandy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2669 on: June 23, 2009, 06:57:01 pm »

Hey, they prevent tantrum spirals. It could be an alert status if you bathed a child in lava by accident, instead of water.
Pages: 1 ... 176 177 [178] 179 180 ... 1065