Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 817 818 [819] 820 821 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3631208 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #12270 on: February 10, 2010, 11:25:21 am »

My guess is you could reasonably get away with just one point in wound dressing and diagnosis (since if your medic is going to be at all useful, he'll practice those a lot), but the rarer (and more critical) stuff like bone setting should be spent more points on.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12271 on: February 10, 2010, 11:27:17 am »

As for toolless surgery - don't forget, the dwarves now have nails!
This is Koganurist, a dwarf-nail scalpel. All the craftdwarfship is of the highest quality. On the item is an image of Onul Nilcatten "the Nailless Surgeon" by Onul Nilcatten. Onul Nillcatten is screaming.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12272 on: February 10, 2010, 11:28:21 am »

The real issue to figuring it out is whether to make a dedicated doc with only medical skills or to make a hybrid of skills.

madjoe5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12273 on: February 10, 2010, 11:29:09 am »

I also have a feeling the 'walking on crutches' is going to end up a pretty easy skill to level up, given my forts.

Would a legendary Crutch walker (or watever they would be called), would they walk relatively faster, slower or the same speed if they dropped their crutches?

I'd like to see instances where people break everyone's legs and train all dwarves to legendary, just for a possible speed boost.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 11:48:49 am by madjoe5 »

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12274 on: February 10, 2010, 11:34:25 am »

I'll probably choose some random peasant dwarf and injure him intentionally over and over again, so that my doctors and surgeons get practise and skill.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Im_Sparks

• Bay Watcher
  • Half man. Half machine. All messiah.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12275 on: February 10, 2010, 11:51:24 am »

I'll probably choose some random peasant dwarf and injure him intentionally over and over again, so that my doctors and surgeons get practise and skill.

This.
I'm going to take soap miners, recruit them, drop them off bridges and let my surgeons perform nazi experimentation perfectly valid surgery on them until they become Houses.
Well treat me like the disease like the rats and the fleas, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Well treat me like the sea oh so salty and mean, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Let's shake hands if you want but soon both hands are gone, A-ha-ha!
Cut me down like a tree like the lumber or weeds, well discard who you please like the leaves off a tree. Drag me out of the sea and then teach me to breath. Give me forced health till I wish death on myself. Ah! Ha! Ha!
March on! March on! March on! March on! MARCH ON!

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12276 on: February 10, 2010, 12:05:40 pm »

...which means you will have about 500 statues of triangles, cheeses, donkeys, and that shitty artifact leather thong littering your courtyards so that you could get 10 -statues- of dwarves for your mausoleum.

the beat goes on, i guess?  Something to be said for leaving things to the imagination, lest we demand control of our newfound specificity.

Don't forget recursive, self-referencing statues. "This is a statue of a bear and a mountain. The bear is going over the mountain."
That's not recursive man.
"This is a statue of a statue of a statue of a statue of a statue of a statue of a statue of a statue of a statue of a statue of a statue of a statue of a statue of a statue of a statue of a statue of a statue of a statue of a statue of a statue of a statue of a statue of a statue of a statue of a statue of a statue of a statue of a statue of a statue of a statue of a statue of a statue of a statue of a statue of a statue of a statue of a statue of a statue of a statue of a statue of a statue of a statue of a statue of a statue of a statue depicting a bear and a mountain, a bear is climbing over the mountain."

It was supposed to be a reference to the recursive kids' song, "The bear went over the mountain". Reference fail on my part, I guess.

It would be sweet if you could perform medical experiments on captive enemies to train up your dwarves. (Although, the dwarf-dropper sounds like it will be a lot of fun too)

Urist McDabblingDoctor has amputated two goblin arms from the captive goblin's body.
Urist McDabblingDoctor has detached two ears from the captive elf's head.
Urist McDabblingDoctor has reattached two severed goblin arms to the captive elf's head.

Urist McDabblingDoctor has created a freak of nature!

Urist McMengele has created Kelethbrakuk, a legendary elf-skin lampshade!

so while the patient was waiting for a splint to be constructed in the workshops the caretakers left him to die of thirst.

This isn't a bug. This is actually hyper-realism. I've been in that hospital, I think.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

LordDemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12277 on: February 10, 2010, 12:12:33 pm »

Is there any plan to allow dwarfs to practise medical skills, either with live (captured enemies) or dead (non rotted corpses or dwarfs/enemies) practise "equipment".

If you are a goblin, you know you joined the wrong siege when the grates come down and bridge raises behind you, trapping you inside.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12278 on: February 10, 2010, 12:20:38 pm »

Is there any plan to allow dwarfs to practise medical skills, either with live (captured enemies) or dead (non rotted corpses or dwarfs/enemies) practise "equipment".

Not in the next version, but probably eventually:

Quote from: Heph
Hmm i have a question to the surgeons and Docs.

How can we train them? Would it be possible to get corpses (Animals, Siegers, dead tantrumers) on the table for training them? Could you entwine that with with a taxidermist like profession.

Right now you have to have one ready or train them the hard way.  The suggestion is reasonable, and I know in a lot of the material on ancient doctors it constantly referred to people either experimenting on corpses openly or sneaking off to get some work in on them.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12279 on: February 10, 2010, 12:32:33 pm »

Ought to be able to fake it in, with a custom workshop/reaction, though.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12280 on: February 10, 2010, 12:41:49 pm »

That's an interesting idea.  You'd need a lot of corpses to see much skill gain though, and it might not work at all, depending on how the reagent syntax interacts with the new corpse objects.

madjoe5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12281 on: February 10, 2010, 12:43:32 pm »

Yea, what's stopping us from making a "medical practice workshop". In it there would be labours such as "Practice Diagnosis" or "Practice Sutricing" that use the respective skill, and consume an unrotted corpse, but produce nothing.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12282 on: February 10, 2010, 12:49:36 pm »

That's an interesting idea.  You'd need a lot of corpses to see much skill gain though, and it might not work at all, depending on how the reagent syntax interacts with the new corpse objects.

This is DF. Corpse supply should not be a problem.  ;D

(Especially if you don't require them to be dwarfy. "Don't worry, I learned how to do this by studying lots of dead marmots!")

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #12283 on: February 10, 2010, 12:50:29 pm »

Doctor Zoidberg comes to mind...
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Name Lips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12284 on: February 10, 2010, 12:54:18 pm »

Yea, what's stopping us from making a "medical practice workshop". In it there would be labours such as "Practice Diagnosis" or "Practice Sutricing" that use the respective skill, and consume an unrotted corpse, but produce nothing.
Produce nothing? What a waste of good parts! It should produce the same things as a butcher's shop, except it skills up medical skills instead of Butchering. :D
Pages: 1 ... 817 818 [819] 820 821 ... 1065