Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 818 819 [820] 821 822 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3631156 times)

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #12285 on: February 10, 2010, 12:56:30 pm »

I haven't been paying much attention lately to this, but is the Animal Caretaking skill being lumped together with this new doctor stuff?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12286 on: February 10, 2010, 12:57:56 pm »

I haven't been paying much attention lately to this, but is the Animal Caretaking skill being lumped together with this new doctor stuff?

Undecided as of a few days ago:

Quote from: Chthonic
Are dwarves with animal care enabled going to be able to splint wardogs' broken legs and so forth, and in general make veterinary care functional?

It's one of those things that is sitting on the put-off pile and I'm not sure what's going to happen.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12287 on: February 10, 2010, 12:58:14 pm »

Nope.

Still though, this traction table thing could easily be a workshop of sorts...

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12288 on: February 10, 2010, 12:58:22 pm »

Ought to be able to fake it in, with a custom workshop/reaction, though.

That's an interesting idea.  You'd need a lot of corpses to see much skill gain though, and it might not work at all, depending on how the reagent syntax interacts with the new corpse objects.
Maybe you could have a "Morgue" workshop, with a "process corpse" reaction to turn a corpse into a cadaver. Cadavers could be used at a custom workshop to train your doctors. This reaction would have a high chance to produce a cadaver when it was done, but wouldn't always do so, creating a constant demand for corpses.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12289 on: February 10, 2010, 12:59:43 pm »

Why not just use a fresh one? Goblin sieges and ambushes leave plenty of corpses.

Also, a cadaver IS a corpse, I don't think theres much distinction.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12290 on: February 10, 2010, 01:01:22 pm »

Would a doctor going into a fey mood forcefully drag an injured dwarf into his surgery workshop for a surprise medical visit?

This is an artifact lobotomy, all work is of the highest quality.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12291 on: February 10, 2010, 01:01:35 pm »

Nope.

That's not certain -- according to the quote I just posted, it's undecided.

Still though, this traction table thing could easily be a workshop of sorts...

If you mean you could make a custom workshop that requires a traction table, then yes.  But they wouldn't do actual medical work there -- that's hardcoded to be performed in a hospital zone.

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12292 on: February 10, 2010, 01:05:28 pm »

Why not just use a fresh one? Goblin sieges and ambushes leave plenty of corpses.

The distinction is arbitrary, yes, but the main issue is that I don't think reactions can make corpses, and reactions can't require something without destroying it. By have the "process corpse" and "practice surgery" reactions produce a cadaver, you can make them reusable.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12293 on: February 10, 2010, 01:08:12 pm »

Would a doctor going into a fey mood forcefully drag an injured dwarf into his surgery workshop for a surprise medical visit?

This is an artifact lobotomy, all work is of the highest quality.

I don't think its been said, but the doctor skills probably aren't moodable. However, one does wonder what they will produce when they get hit with a generic craftskill mood.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #12294 on: February 10, 2010, 01:10:50 pm »

The distinction is arbitrary, yes, but the main issue is that I don't think reactions can make corpses, and reactions can't require something without destroying it. By have the "process corpse" and "practice surgery" reactions produce a cadaver, you can make them reusable.

Generally speaking, although a cadaver is a corpse, the former is more often used to describe a corpse mangled or mutilated in some fashion, or rotten much like corpses currently become in some regards. So turning a corpse into a cadaver would make sense to me from a descriptive standpoint.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12295 on: February 10, 2010, 01:17:46 pm »

One of the caretakers wanted to clean the dwarf off but kept dumping the water next to the dwarf, over and over

I've noticed that when I make a pit/pond designation, dwarves tend to stand one tile diagonally (if they can) and dump the water diagonally from them. In those cases, they are on target nearly all the time. While said behavior works as it should, it sounds like the dwarf in Zachs fort was doing it the same way.

Just an observation.

Greened for attention even though its not a question. Sometimes outside observations can help.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 01:21:43 pm by smjjames »

Name Lips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12296 on: February 10, 2010, 01:21:23 pm »

I think untrained doctors sound hilarious!

I will re-designate mine if they get too experienced.

Sure, my fortresses might not last long. But I always find the first couple of years the most fun anyway. :D

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12297 on: February 10, 2010, 01:27:58 pm »

One of the caretakers wanted to clean the dwarf off but kept dumping the water next to the dwarf, over and over

I've noticed that when I make a pit/pond designation, dwarves tend to stand one tile diagonally (if they can) and dump the water diagonally from them. In those cases, they are on target nearly all the time. While said behavior works as it should, it sounds like the dwarf in Zachs fort was doing it the same way.

Just an observation.

If you're trying to help Toady fix it, it's already fixed: "One of the caretakers wanted to clean the dwarf off but kept dumping the water next to the dwarf, over and over. Once that was sorted out, surgery began."

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12298 on: February 10, 2010, 01:29:45 pm »

I know he already fixed it, was just giving my insight.......

madjoe5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12299 on: February 10, 2010, 01:36:58 pm »

Ought to be able to fake it in, with a custom workshop/reaction, though.

Yea, what's stopping us from making a "medical practice workshop". In it there would be labours such as "Practice Diagnosis" or "Practice Sutricing" that use the respective skill, and consume an unrotted corpse, but produce nothing.
Produce nothing? What a waste of good parts! It should produce the same things as a butcher's shop, except it skills up medical skills instead of Butchering. :D

I guess you could, but that makes the game much less interesting. I guess there could be a diagnosis training task, such as "examine internal anatomy", which leaves the items from butchery.

I guess it would make more sense to have the practicing on corpses leave lots and lots of chunks, since it wouldn't really make sense to have the items still usable. Such as bones, I would imagine a dwarf breaking and setting them over and over to practice, leaving a patchwork bone not suitable for bolt making.
Pages: 1 ... 818 819 [820] 821 822 ... 1065