Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 816 817 [818] 819 820 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3631209 times)

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #12255 on: February 10, 2010, 10:35:01 am »

... the surgery is destined to be absolutely hilarious ...

PMantix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12256 on: February 10, 2010, 10:35:36 am »

I lol'd so hard at the newest devlog. Poor, poor dwarf.

It would be sweet if you could perform medical experiments on captive enemies to train up your dwarves. (Although, the dwarf-dropper sounds like it will be a lot of fun too)

Urist McDabblingDoctor has amputated two goblin arms from the captive goblin's body.
Urist McDabblingDoctor has detached two ears from the captive elf's head.
Urist McDabblingDoctor has reattached two severed goblin arms to the captive elf's head.

Urist McDabblingDoctor has created a freak of nature!

Possessed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12257 on: February 10, 2010, 10:47:12 am »

I'd like to know if creature raws become obsolete with the new update? I'm a modding enthusiast in the middle of a huge project, and after seeing all the awesome stuff you're putting out in terms of attributes for new creatures the old raws seem kinda outdated.

Oh, and obviously i am really really excited about the creature arena feature. It'll make modding a heck of alot easier since testing and balancing earlier involved starting a couple thousand forts and hoping you'll bump into whatever creature you implemented.  ;D
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 10:49:14 am by Possessed »
*meep*

JackAcid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12258 on: February 10, 2010, 10:47:35 am »

I lol'd so hard at the newest devlog. Poor, poor dwarf.

It would be sweet if you could perform medical experiments on captive enemies to train up your dwarves. (Although, the dwarf-dropper sounds like it will be a lot of fun too)

Urist McDabblingDoctor has amputated two goblin arms from the captive goblin's body.
Urist McDabblingDoctor has detached two ears from the captive elf's head.
Urist McDabblingDoctor has reattached two severed goblin arms to the captive elf's head.

Urist McDabblingDoctor has created a freak of nature!

Urist McDabblingDoctor is more experienced.
Urist McDabblingDoctor has become a Mad Scientist.

...which means you will have about 500 statues of triangles, cheeses, donkeys, and that shitty artifact leather thong littering your courtyards so that you could get 10 -statues- of dwarves for your mausoleum.

the beat goes on, i guess?  Something to be said for leaving things to the imagination, lest we demand control of our newfound specificity.

Don't forget recursive, self-referencing statues. "This is a statue of a bear and a mountain. The bear is going over the mountain."
That's not recursive man.
"This is a statue of a statue of a statue of a statue of a statue of a statue of a statue of a statue of a statue of a statue of a statue of a statue of a statue of a statue of a statue of a statue of a statue of a statue of a statue of a statue of a statue of a statue of a statue of a statue of a statue of a statue of a statue of a statue of a statue of a statue of a statue of a statue of a statue of a statue of a statue of a statue of a statue of a statue of a statue of a statue of a statue of a statue of a statue of a statue of a statue depicting a bear and a mountain, a bear is climbing over the mountain."

To see what he could see!

Seriously, though, we're assuming Dwarves and other races have the same internal structure (yes, we know that, but our Dwarves have neither notepad.exe nor access to the raws).

Although there is a historical prescient for examining the corpses of executed criminals, I imagine that's a little harder to program in with dwarven relationships as they currently stand. I imagine Urist McWidow isn't going to like her husband's corpse being butchered after already watching him die for not being able to magically make sterling silver items on demand for Urist McNoble.

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12259 on: February 10, 2010, 10:56:08 am »

My only worry is skill decay on surgeons. I imagine it's going to be a skill that's hard to train up and even harder to keep up.

The real problem is going to be starting skill selection. Even if you dedicate one of the starting seven to be a Doc, that's, what, five skills he'll have to spread his points between?

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12260 on: February 10, 2010, 11:02:23 am »

As I was watching, blood splattered on the walls and floor

This is Win
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12261 on: February 10, 2010, 11:06:09 am »

My only worry is skill decay on surgeons. I imagine it's going to be a skill that's hard to train up and even harder to keep up.

The real problem is going to be starting skill selection. Even if you dedicate one of the starting seven to be a Doc, that's, what, five skills he'll have to spread his points between?
That's enough to get him to competent in three of them, and no adjective in two. That's good enough for a small outpost. Man, I really wish I could set up a dwarven medical school though. That would fight skill decay, and match with the dwarven military academy I plan on making.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12262 on: February 10, 2010, 11:06:56 am »

Yea, I think there was a question earlier relating to skill decay for docs.

For starting skill selection, everybody is going to be in the same boat, so it will get figured out sooner or later.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #12263 on: February 10, 2010, 11:10:07 am »

This is Win
Well, considering the surgeon probably did it the same way dwarves do everything else - i.e. without tools...

Or better yet, with a battleaxe...
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12264 on: February 10, 2010, 11:11:24 am »

This is Win
Well, considering the surgeon probably did it the same way dwarves do everything else - i.e. without tools...
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12265 on: February 10, 2010, 11:13:16 am »

I'd like to know if creature raws become obsolete with the new update? I'm a modding enthusiast in the middle of a huge project, and after seeing all the awesome stuff you're putting out in terms of attributes for new creatures the old raws seem kinda outdated.

A lot has changed about the creature raws, yeah.  There's a collection of info about them (including the new raws for several creatures) at the bottom of this post.

Skill rust will only be a problem if your fortress is extremely uneventful: "Made skills get rusty over time (this was done for attributes previously) and eventually degrade. It's a very slow process, so it's not something to worry about unless you completely reassign a dwarf for a number of years or change their weapon for a long while, etc."

And yeah, Toady just answered about this:

Quote from: darkflagrance
If injuries are rare at my fort, is it possible for my expert surgeon's skill to decay to the point that my next few injured dwarves are screwed?

Skill decay shouldn't be a huge problem there, but it'll be fun to see if that's really true.

For reference, these are the new medical skills:

Dressing wounds, diagnosis, surgery, setting bones, suturing and walking with crutches.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 11:15:37 am by Footkerchief »

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12266 on: February 10, 2010, 11:16:12 am »

I definitely would not worry about decaying doctor skills.. I mean, there's so much new stuff underground that will wound and mangle your dwarves that they'll be busy quite often.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

JackAcid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12267 on: February 10, 2010, 11:17:51 am »

This is Win

Or better yet, with a battleaxe...

I like the idea of toolless surgery, m'self.

"Okay, now we punch open an incision here and tie the veins together..."

I also have a feeling the 'walking on crutches' is going to end up a pretty easy skill to level up, given my forts.

I hope we can forge crutches out of gold and such, as well as wood.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #12268 on: February 10, 2010, 11:19:53 am »

I definitely would not worry about decaying doctor skills.. I mean, there's so much new stuff underground that will wound and mangle your dwarves that they'll be busy quite often.
Not to mention construction accidents, sparring accidents, "what the foghorn were you doing in front of a ballista anyway" accidents, indoor plumbing "accidents", etc, etc...

As for toolless surgery - don't forget, the dwarves now have nails!
And teeth, for that matter.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 11:22:10 am by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12269 on: February 10, 2010, 11:21:16 am »

Just putting a single point to all but walking with crutches is 5 skill points right there.

Still, putting points into diagnosis, wound dressing, suturing, and bone setting would be enough for outpost medicine.
Pages: 1 ... 816 817 [818] 819 820 ... 1065