Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 770 771 [772] 773 774 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3636085 times)

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #11565 on: January 30, 2010, 04:34:23 pm »

I think what we need to do is bring some science into this...

Because of all the light things we are aware of (Syrofoam, Pillows, Pie) they are also soft and tend to break.

What happens when you put a lot of force into something light but indestructable?

Anyhow from what I can guess an Adamantine hammer will AT LEAST strike with the weight of your arm with the strength of your swing plus or minus leverage.
Mass times velocity is momentum so somebody with a skilled grip on the thing should be able to still achieve a decent impact with it but the actual energy of the hammer will be used up quickly so you've got to take a huge shock through your wrist and arm if you want to have that energy used in the hit.

I don't think that's really the point with hammers as you should just have to use your energy getting them moving and then have them carry it through as the things in their way crumple. If it was just the rigitity doing the work the brass knuckle shape would be better as your arms would have enough force to cave in someone's skull and punch out the other side of it on their own.

Really I think a hammer made entirely out of unyielding material is going to hurt the user.

i'm surprised no-one's mentioned the Energy = Mass*(Velocity^2) part of the equation yet.  I..e, the 10lb adamantine hammer moving at 20 m/s is way better than a 40lb hammer that only gets swung at 5m/s. 

Particularly when splitting wood, sometimes a lighter splitter is better than the 12# maul.  The advantage of the maul is that you don't really have to accelerate it -- just start it downwards.  The disadvantage is that even if you really want to swing it faster than 9.8m/s/s, it gets really goddamn hard.

-- not that i want to hijack the thread with physics.
It's inevitable.
But how do our limbs send energy into an object we are swinging? Can we really put 64x as much energy into something 10lbs as we can into something 40lbs?

The miners was just being 'harassed,' so I doubt -redacted- are Forgotten Beasts. My guess? Purring Maggot Men, soft but warlike animalmen, valued among Dwarves for the thick milk that runs in their veins.

Gross. (also, moddable? Purring Maggot Man+2 tile room+trap full of whips+drain= RESERVOIR OF DWARVEN MILK?)
Not as of yet. Having more liquid flows isn't going in soon so you'd need some job to suck it up off the floor to get it.

In order for watermen to be killable, you'd have to make them like Morpha from the Legend of Zelda; a big motile blob of waterish substance, with a squishy brain in the center. That would make a cool mod, but unfortunately liquid monsters can't grapple in this release. You'd also have a Morpha corpse left over, and I don't think there's any way to make a critter drop flowing water when it dies. Are their any good Zelda mods for DF? The only problem race I could see would be the Zora, and you can have them live on good shorelines. The Gerudo even build dark fortresses, and their fuckwitzed gender ratio could be pulled off with castes!
Well no. The water is obviously not just regular water molecules with nothing going on. If it's magic disrupting the shape should still apply strain on the thing though in the case of morpha the effect emanates from that core but the core isn't reliant on the water in the way that we need kidneys or intestines- the water is only the method of mobility and wrestling. It's like our arms and legs but not filled with that blood stuff we need.

For other types of watermen you could sort of think of them as only presenting a tiny fraction of their body at any time. When you bruise the surface of an arm or such it would rotate that in and display a different volume of water until the arm was fully wounded and perhaps even severed at some point. The arm-water is probably interchangeable with foot-water though so if they could have some number of graspers and such but with just the one pool of hitpoints it would work... at least as well as frequent implementations of water-people.

you can only swing something so fast before you reach the terminal velocity... is that the right term?
Not quite. Usually it refers to the point where air resistance pushes against an object enough to counter gravity, meaning that you stop falling any faster. The actual definition doesn't care so much about falling so much as air (or water or whatever fluid) resistance countering the force that was accelerating an object.

Air resistance can certainly be an issue with hand-held objects of certain shapes but in the case of weapons like these we're not hitting hitting that. Our muscles put out a lot more force than gravity (the strength of gravity is what it would take to just hold something up- picking it up is automatically more,) but we're more limited by the range of motion our arms can go through. A skydiver jumping out of a plane has gravity pulling on them for about a minute before they reach terminal velocity while swinging an adamantine hammer is going to last maybe two seconds but probably more like one second.

I'm not sure if that only applies to falling... anyway, you get my point. If an Ultra-Mighty dwarf can swing a lead hammer at terminal velocity, he will also swing an adamantine hammer at terminal velocity, and the lead would do more damage because it weighs more, and has more inertia.
We haven't established exactly what determines the maximum velocity of a weapon. If something like air resistance did matter the lead hammer would have a much higher terminal velocity (if you were swinging it down) because gravity pulls on all the weight while air resistance only pushes back on the surface.

For the purpose of the maximum speed we can swing something using an arm we have to be concerned with how much force an arm can generate and how fast that can make an object move in about one second or the range of an arm.

My guess is that the -redacted- is either the 'old' HFS(clowns) which apparently wander freely now or 'new' HFS(name pending) which Tree Toe could have very reasonably wandered into.  Especially since he probably knows everything about what was added including the hidden stuff Toady won't talk about.
Given that the default is three underground layers the HFS should be mainly around the lower levels, what with the "we dug too deep" danger scaling feel Toady aimed to put back into the game.

My guess is that the -redacted- is either the 'old' HFS(clowns) which apparently wander freely now or 'new' HFS(name pending) which Tree Toe could have very reasonably wandered into.  Especially since he probably knows everything about what was added including the hidden stuff Toady won't talk about.

You'd think either one would have killed ThreeToes miners on sight rather than harass. Of course though, this is hingeing on what definition of harass is bieng used here.
Maybe it was a tentacle demon sexually harrassing them?

I want to animate some tentacle monsters in suits from a few decades ago while they chat about how confused they are with the sexual harassment laws now.

for those who claim air resistance won't matter, go play with a foxtail, then come back.

Heck, even try swinging a dowel compared with a cardboard tube. Air resistance matters.
The foxtail has a lot of surface area so there's enough force on the head to make the stem flex but there's not so much force that it slows down your arm.

The cardboard tube has me at a bit of a loss because I can't see air resistance doing anything there. I can swing one just as fast as a dowel of similar weight it seems but with cardboard being weaker there's some mental resistance because I expect it to buckle if I apply too much force swinging it around. There's a little difference in the way I hold on to it though as with the dowel I can make a tight fist around it while with the cardboard if I try to grasp it tighter I'll buckle it.

Now with really anything fan shaped at the end of the dowel or tube there should be enough air resistance to start making a detectable difference but on either object a paper fan would more that double the forward surface area.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Im_Sparks

• Bay Watcher
  • Half man. Half machine. All messiah.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11566 on: January 30, 2010, 04:37:00 pm »

Y'know.. I know that F=mA, and E(g)=mg I believe because it's been a while.

But I don't care for all the technicalities. I just want adamantine to do more DMG than iron.
Well treat me like the disease like the rats and the fleas, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Well treat me like the sea oh so salty and mean, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Let's shake hands if you want but soon both hands are gone, A-ha-ha!
Cut me down like a tree like the lumber or weeds, well discard who you please like the leaves off a tree. Drag me out of the sea and then teach me to breath. Give me forced health till I wish death on myself. Ah! Ha! Ha!
March on! March on! March on! March on! MARCH ON!

xtank5

• Bay Watcher
  • [STEM_CELL_TRANSPLANT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11567 on: January 30, 2010, 04:50:26 pm »

Y'know.. I know that F=mA, and E(g)=mg I believe because it's been a while.
Ep=mgh: Ep=Energy potential, m=mass, g=acceleration due to gravity (9.81m/s/s on Earth), and h=height above ground.
Ek=mvv/2: Ek=Energy kinetic, m=mass and v=velocity.
Units are in m/s, m/s/s, m, and kg.

Here's the formula sheet I use.

But I don't care for all the technicalities. I just want adamantine to do more DMG than iron.
I agree.  Legendary metals should do legendary damage and have legendary value.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 05:09:30 pm by xtank5 »
IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM
Can't get enough Bolo.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11568 on: January 30, 2010, 05:13:14 pm »

Just because it's a "legendary metal" doesn't mean it should be equally amazing at absolutely everything.

I don't consider that "more fun" or "more legendary". I consider it boring. I mean, there are two choices: I'd rather find a metal that actually has amazing properties than a metal that is just amazing by fiat. It's more interesting that way, and leads to you actually figuring out what its best uses would be yourself.

If you want to do alloys i can help you with a formula:

According to doctor Ron  Lasky the formula of the density of an alloy is:

Metal A Percentage / Metal A Density + Metal B Percentage / Metal B  Density (And so on with C D E ...) = Density of alloy.

So it's just a weighted average, which is both obvious and might not be true for all alloys. I know it isn't always true of things like melting point, and since different crystal structures for different metals are involved, I'm not sure it would always be true for (all types of) alloys either. It probably gives a good approximation for most, though.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #11569 on: January 30, 2010, 05:21:08 pm »

If i could get the scientifical stuff for free (i just love open access!) one (i) could look a bit into the mess to setup a simpliefied calculator for alloy properties. But sadly scientists sell theyr Results that are in many many cases paid by the state (or the Eu and other govermental organisations) to a paying circle.

I guess a main thing that keeps programmers from doing Physic-systems like dfs is the inavaibility of data. This expands to other fields like economys, social science etc.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 05:29:39 pm by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Minstrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11570 on: January 30, 2010, 07:53:33 pm »

I guess a main thing that keeps programmers from doing Physic-systems like dfs is the inavaibility of data. This expands to other fields like economys, social science etc.

I'd think that the difficulty with programming a "Social Science Simulation" system would be that the social sciences are not exact sciences and not because they aren't easily accessible (and you can find most of these theories outlined nicely if you know where to look)[1]. They don't quantify easily and rarely comply with Boolean logic (at least on the surface).

I think the only way to programme something like a "realistic" behaviour system would be to introduce some sort of element which makes an individual do random thing every once in a (random) while and have other individuals (randomly) copy it.

[1] - in applied linguistics papers, for example, everybody pads articles and theses out by describing their sources general ideas. You can learn as much about cognitive linguistics from back issues of Meta as you would from reading Lakoff's books.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11571 on: January 30, 2010, 08:16:13 pm »

If i could get the scientifical stuff for free (i just love open access!) one (i) could look a bit into the mess to setup a simpliefied calculator for alloy properties. But sadly scientists sell theyr Results that are in many many cases paid by the state (or the Eu and other govermental organisations) to a paying circle.

People don't want to just give away things they spent time and other people and their own money on, I think it is a detriment that our countries don't pay scientists and give away this information for free as an aid to world globalization. However that would require us from not want to kill each other constantly.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11572 on: January 30, 2010, 08:19:40 pm »

I mean the Papers in general. And i dont have the money for all those the fancy Magazines which even let you pay for the online version of the article (wich you can circumvent by Google-cache but i dont want to get in any "shade of gray zone"). Getting even a simple artice for free is darn hard. Thankfully organisations like the "Frauenhofer institute" have Open Access Projects . Which i like to explore - TVtropes-effect for geeks and nerds.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11573 on: January 30, 2010, 09:09:00 pm »

Okay, people, here's a little hint about total kinetic energy in a swing (oh no physics).

Total energy is force * distance * cos(angle between force and movement).

What does this mean? Assuming a dwarf provides a constant force in any direction, a heavier hammer will hit harder swinging down and lighter swinging up. It will also hit lighter on a sideways swing. Why? Because in addition to the dwarf's force, there is the weight of the hammer. In a downwards swing, the weight is on your side. Upwards, it's against it. And on a sideways swing, if you're keeping it level, you have to have your force angled so as to counteract the weight of the hammer.

If you assume hammers can be swung in any direction from vertical up to vertical down, the weight of the hammer almost averages out, a lighter hammer will have a slightly higher average impact force, while a heavier hammer will have a wider range of impact forces.

In practice, you can probably ignore the small difference and just give the following: a hammer is a hammer is a hammer. How hard it is will matter more than how heavy.

For a skilled hammer user, it should possible to swing such that you build up force with a downward motion and then transfer that force into an upward swing.

The thing about hammers as weapons is that warhammers are actually quite light weapons with relatively small heads to begin with, not the sledges that fantasy typically depicts; they were designed to combat a hardened iron armor that other, edged weapons might glance off of:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_hammer

honestly, I still picture the fantasy war hammer when I iamgine what's going on in DF because it fits... Toady obviously has some sort of war hammer in mind for the statistics he's created for them, and I guess it would be best to ask him what his intent is.

Toady, are the stats fro the new combat system war hammers based on a realistic war hammer design with a small head, or on the stereotypical fantasy war hammer design with the oversized, maul-like head?
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11574 on: January 30, 2010, 09:12:40 pm »

Toady, are the stats fro the new combat system war hammers based on a realistic war hammer design with a small head, or on the stereotypical fantasy war hammer design with the oversized, maul-like head?

Seems to be aiming for realistic, although the numbers are more or less fudged:

Quote from: PencilinHand
What will the functional difference between a war hammer and a mace be in the new combat system aside from using a different skill?

Also, will the skill progression be changed in any way, for any skill, from the current Dabbling->Novice->etc?
Quote from: Footkerchief
Weapons have many more parameters now, so there should be some subtle differences.  Hammers probably have a smaller area on their striking surfaces, at least.
Quote from: PencilinHand
I was hoping for some elaboration beyond "there are some new differences."

Eventually, I would think if weapons ever get broken out to the raws we could start seeing some real variation in weapons.

Yeah, the difference I've got right now is the contact area.  So a mace will have larger wound areas but won't concentrate the force as much.  It may be that this indicates one weapon is superior to the other in most normal applications, but I haven't had a chance to test that sort of thing carefully.  They currently have the same weight and velocity multipliers (indicating that the war hammer here is considered to have the same mass stuck at the same distance from the end, just shaped a little differently).

For reference, here are the latest weapon raws:

Sure.  Here's what I've got so far.  Tentative as usual.  Training weapons should probably be a little heavier than their edged counterparts, since they are thicker.  (The "WEIGHT" is actually a volume, still have to change that, and probably to mm^3 like the others, thought those numbers would be some of the worst guesses ever made).
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As you can see, the hammer, mace, and maul have contact areas of 200, 300, and 500, respectively.  I think the units are mm2, which would mean the hammer's striking surface is about the size of a dime, and the maul's is about the size of a quarter.  But again, the numbers shouldn't be taken too seriously.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 09:25:26 pm by Footkerchief »

btbtbtbt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11575 on: January 30, 2010, 09:32:24 pm »

As you can see, the hammer, mace, and maul have contact areas of 200, 300, and 500, respectively.  I think the units are mm2, which would mean the hammer's striking surface is about the size of a dime, and the maul's is about the size of a quarter.  But again, the numbers shouldn't be taken too seriously.

I was going to mention that mm2 seemed way too small but you edit ninja'd me.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11576 on: January 30, 2010, 10:09:02 pm »

The thing about hammers as weapons is that warhammers are actually quite light weapons with relatively small heads to begin with, not the sledges that fantasy typically depicts; they were designed to combat a hardened iron armor that other, edged weapons might glance off of:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_hammer

honestly, I still picture the fantasy war hammer when I iamgine what's going on in DF because it fits... Toady obviously has some sort of war hammer in mind for the statistics he's created for them, and I guess it would be best to ask him what his intent is.

I know what you mean. A gigantic sledgehammer wouldn't make a particularly good weapon (unless you were fighting a wagon, or something) but it just looks a hell of a lot more fun than realistic warhammers

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #11577 on: January 30, 2010, 10:10:45 pm »

He Noted multiple -redacted- so i gues its animal man? But on the other hand we know already  the UG-animal-men so think we have an ug-Monster-swarm. If it is a swarm animal i think (without new added stuff) it could be G. Bats, G. Rats, L. Rats. But I guees thats wrong too.

Mud-man would be more common with the new UG-water so zach could have found some.
"Ghuls" as UG-undead would be neat.
Or maybe Water-Man?

The possibilities are endless.
In order for watermen to be killable, you'd have to make them like Morpha from the Legend of Zelda; a big motile blob of waterish substance, with a squishy brain in the center. That would make a cool mod, but unfortunately liquid monsters can't grapple in this release.

You can give them body parts with grasp, like tentacles, pseudopods, or slime appendages.

You'd also have a Morpha corpse left over, and I don't think there's any way to make a critter drop flowing water when it dies.

You can mod a creature to lack a corpse, and I think you can make ice the item that is dropped upon death, which should immediately turn to water.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11578 on: January 30, 2010, 10:21:07 pm »

For Waterman use the Humanoid template with changed legs andmaybe tentacles instead of arms. Then make all tissues composed out of liquid water. This schould work?

Proud to be a Furry.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11579 on: January 30, 2010, 10:28:47 pm »

I know what you mean. A gigantic sledgehammer wouldn't make a particularly good weapon (unless you were fighting a wagon, or something) but it just looks a hell of a lot more fun than realistic warhammers

A maul and a sledgehammer are basically the same thing, as far as I can tell.

I was curious about whether there's historical precedent for such a weapon, and it turns out that one was used at the Combat of the Thirty in 1350: "Billefort fought with a mallet 25lbs. weight, and others with what arms they chose."  However, the way the author singles out the "mallet" for specific mention suggests that such a heavy weapon was an unusual choice.

For Waterman use the Humanoid template with changed legs andmaybe tentacles instead of arms. Then make all tissues composed out of liquid water. This schould work?

I'm still not sure how one "accesses" the water material (or the other hardcoded materials like glass, potash, lye, etc.) in the new material system.  They're certainly not part of a creature/plant material list.  Maybe they're in the INORGANIC group?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 10:54:50 pm by Footkerchief »
Pages: 1 ... 770 771 [772] 773 774 ... 1065