Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 768 769 [770] 771 772 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3635977 times)

PMantix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #11535 on: January 30, 2010, 06:46:57 am »

So as far as actually hitting the enemy goes, it doesn't matter if you've got wood or steel?
If so, that's great.

Geometry being equal, it should be easier to wield the weapon with less mass.

I don't think it should be an overpowering difference..  but it's definitely easier to make a balsa wood sword move where you want, when you want, then it is to swing a lead sword of the same shape.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #11536 on: January 30, 2010, 06:59:57 am »

Darn right. In comparsion to a bokken a real sword needs some more strength - which can be a painfull experience after 3 hours of training stances.

edit: New Dev_now is up. I wonder what the "-redacted-" part may be?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 08:17:14 am by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Hondo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11537 on: January 30, 2010, 09:32:23 am »

Carpmen.

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11538 on: January 30, 2010, 10:00:55 am »

flying carp?

Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11539 on: January 30, 2010, 10:22:18 am »

Probably some new animalmen.

Also, the fact that they ran into a cave croc can also mean that they are aquatic animalmen, maybe fully aquatic? Not likely to be HFS or the miners would have been dead.

Maybe it was an aquatic (as in fully aquatic, not amphibious) forgotten beast?

seigenblues

• Bay Watcher
  • bamf!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11540 on: January 30, 2010, 10:44:09 am »

i'm surprised no-one's mentioned the Energy = Mass*(Velocity^2) part of the equation yet.  I..e, the 10lb adamantine hammer moving at 20 m/s is way better than a 40lb hammer that only gets swung at 5m/s. 

Particularly when splitting wood, sometimes a lighter splitter is better than the 12# maul.  The advantage of the maul is that you don't really have to accelerate it -- just start it downwards.  The disadvantage is that even if you really want to swing it faster than 9.8m/s/s, it gets really goddamn hard.

-- not that i want to hijack the thread with physics.  The devnow entry makes me cackle with glee.

i think -redacted- is actually some kind of digging baddie.  Some sort of burrowing something.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11541 on: January 30, 2010, 10:49:51 am »

AFAIK burrowing (that is, the digging baddie) is not actually in this release.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #11542 on: January 30, 2010, 11:02:36 am »

He Noted multiple -redacted- so i gues its animal man? But on the other hand we know already  the UG-animal-men so think we have an ug-Monster-swarm. If it is a swarm animal i think (without new added stuff) it could be G. Bats, G. Rats, L. Rats. But I guees thats wrong too.

Mud-man would be more common with the new UG-water so zach could have found some.
"Ghuls" as UG-undead would be neat.
Or maybe Water-Man?

The possibilities are endless.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Airpi

• Bay Watcher
  • PREFSTRING:whimsy
    • View Profile
    • I say things. Often.
« Reply #11543 on: January 30, 2010, 11:04:34 am »

The miners was just being 'harassed,' so I doubt -redacted- are Forgotten Beasts. My guess? Purring Maggot Men, soft but warlike animalmen, valued among Dwarves for the thick milk that runs in their veins.

Gross. (also, moddable? Purring Maggot Man+2 tile room+trap full of whips+drain= RESERVOIR OF DWARVEN MILK?)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 11:07:19 am by Airpi »
⊂(゚ヮ゚⊂⌒つ    ⊂(゚ヮ゚⊂⌒つ

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11544 on: January 30, 2010, 11:13:25 am »

Large rats are little more than a version of groundhogs as I found out in one game when I tried to station my miners turned militia at one but the critter just kept running away and my miners wouldn't attack it.

So, by harass, it could mean little more than getting interrupted by some otherwise harmless critter.

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11545 on: January 30, 2010, 11:14:54 am »

He Noted multiple -redacted- so i gues its animal man? But on the other hand we know already  the UG-animal-men so think we have an ug-Monster-swarm. If it is a swarm animal i think (without new added stuff) it could be G. Bats, G. Rats, L. Rats. But I guees thats wrong too.

Mud-man would be more common with the new UG-water so zach could have found some.
Or maybe Water-Man?

In order for watermen to be killable, you'd have to make them like Morpha from the Legend of Zelda; a big motile blob of waterish substance, with a squishy brain in the center. That would make a cool mod, but unfortunately liquid monsters can't grapple in this release. You'd also have a Morpha corpse left over, and I don't think there's any way to make a critter drop flowing water when it dies. Are their any good Zelda mods for DF? The only problem race I could see would be the Zora, and you can have them live on good shorelines. The Gerudo even build dark fortresses, and their fuckwitzed gender ratio could be pulled off with castes!
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11546 on: January 30, 2010, 11:56:04 am »

Because of all the light things we are aware of (Syrofoam, Pillows, Pie) they are also soft and tend to break.

What happens when you put a lot of force into something light but indestructable?

We don't need to invent physics for the properties of adamantine here.

Carbon Fibre is pretty light and strong, and it works more or less the same way as adamantine, insofar as they are both cloth fabrics woven from fibres of their respective elements. Carbon Fibre is dipped in epoxy resin and baked until solid to give it useful form.

The strength of carbon fibre is dependent upon the direction and weave of the individual fibres in relation to the direction and type of stress placed on them. Since adamantine wafers are also woven from strands, I presume that they also derive their strength from the alignment of the fibres.

What you say about carbon fiber is true. I never actually thought of it that way before, but we can essentially think of adamantine as an extreme version of carbon fiber... Hmm... now I want to build a space elevator out of adamantine. Too bad we don't have moving platforms and access to orbit, yet.

Anyway, there are limitations to having something so light. What you say is true about light objects being easier to swing than heavy objects, but there is a limit. Regardless of how much something weighs, you can only swing something so fast before you reach the terminal velocity... is that the right term? I'm not sure if that only applies to falling... anyway, you get my point. If an Ultra-Mighty dwarf can swing a lead hammer at terminal velocity, he will also swing an adamantine hammer at terminal velocity, and the lead would do more damage because it weighs more, and has more inertia.
Darn right. In comparsion to a bokken a real sword needs some more strength - which can be a painfull experience after 3 hours of training stances.

Where is this new dev thing? I would like to read it.

Or maybe Water-Man?

In order for watermen to be killable, you'd have to make them like Morpha from the Legend of Zelda; a big motile blob of waterish substance, with a squishy brain in the center. That would make a cool mod, but unfortunately liquid monsters can't grapple in this release. You'd also have a Morpha corpse left over, and I don't think there's any way to make a critter drop flowing water when it dies. Are their any good Zelda mods for DF? The only problem race I could see would be the Zora, and you can have them live on good shorelines. The Gerudo even build dark fortresses, and their fuckwitzed gender ratio could be pulled off with castes!

Something might be workable using the itemdrop system that ___ Men, Bronze Colossi, and other creatures like that use. I'm unsure if 7/7 flowing water would count as one of these items, but it can be tried I suppose. If not, you could have it drop the item water(which is carried in buckets). Might be useless lying on the floor, but it's better than leaving a "Water Corpse"
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11548 on: January 30, 2010, 12:10:53 pm »

My guess is that the -redacted- is either the 'old' HFS(clowns) which apparently wander freely now or 'new' HFS(name pending) which Tree Toe could have very reasonably wandered into.  Especially since he probably knows everything about what was added including the hidden stuff Toady won't talk about.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

toiski

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11549 on: January 30, 2010, 12:15:12 pm »

Anyway, there are limitations to having something so light. What you say is true about light objects being easier to swing than heavy objects, but there is a limit. Regardless of how much something weighs, you can only swing something so fast before you reach the terminal velocity... is that the right term? I'm not sure if that only applies to falling... anyway, you get my point. If an Ultra-Mighty dwarf can swing a lead hammer at terminal velocity, he will also swing an adamantine hammer at terminal velocity, and the lead would do more damage because it weighs more, and has more inertia.

Terminal velocity is the velocity that is reached at infinite time when an object is exposed to a constant force and velocity-dependent deceleration, i.e. the velocity at which the deceleration matches the acceleration from the force. It is usually taken to mean such a velocity of falling under gravitational pull and air resistance. The force at which a dwarf swings a hammer might or might not be constant over the time of the swing, but you could calculate a "terminal velocity" of sorts from the maximum force... If DF had air resistance, that is. And the terminal velocity of a swing would not be the same as that of falling.
Terminal velocity for a swing is thus not very well defined, but you could substitute it with any velocity (e.g. the maximum velocity the dwarf can spin himself around with the hammer extended) and still arrive at the same conclusion: An adamantine hammer swung at the same velocity as a lead hammer would have less kinetic energy (half mass times velocity squared) and thus likely cause less damage.

Edit: No, wait! Let's not start talking physics! Don't reply to me!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 12:20:21 pm by toiski »
Pages: 1 ... 768 769 [770] 771 772 ... 1065