Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2088 2089 [2090] 2091 2092 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3082522 times)

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #31335 on: June 15, 2018, 10:33:49 pm »

Start with 2003. It opens much stronger than brotherhood and it remains rather consistent throughout. There are a few bad episodes (most notably episode 4 and 9), but overall it's a good story even if it is very different from the manga (minus the notorious last 3 episodes of course, who could forget that!). Hopefully from this point you'd be able to get them to watch/read whatever version you want them to look at next, though they might have the same initial reaction to brotherhood as you did.

Alternatively, you could start them on brotherhood (skipping the boring and pointless first episode of course) and just hope that they're able to forgive the flaws. Most people's tastes aren't as sophisticated as they would hope so they might not even notice the problems.

Ultimately it's your decision. Ideally you'd want them to read the manga but forcing people to read is a very difficult task.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31336 on: June 15, 2018, 11:04:11 pm »

So I'll start this off by saying that I'm a huge fan of FullMetal Alchemist. I've read the first 18 volumes of the Manga and read more whenever I go to the library. However, I've only tried the first two episodes of Brotherhood before leaving in disgust because of the exposition before deciding that the manga was better.

The question is simple. I have two relatives I'd really like to get into the story of FullMetal Alchemist, but they're filthy casuals they don't like manga and prefer anime. I know there's some complicated way to get into FullMetal Alchemist through the anime, but... I don't know it xD

So how would you recommend starting FullMetal Alchemist through the anime? Any suggestions for them?

I have only dabbled in the 2003 series, but from what other people have said, the original anime was made before the manga finished, so it veers off after a certain point, and the second anime was made to adapt the rest of the series. However, rather than being a complete remake or a sequel, they decided to start Brotherhood with what is effectively a lengthy series recap, in a compromise attempt to appeal to both new viewers and returning viewers at the same time. Skimming past material like that ruins the tone of the thing, so as heydude6 says, the 2003 show's opening and overall consistency are better.

Start with the 2003 version, watch that, and if they want more they can watch Brotherhood, but you can skip X number of episodes at the start since you already covered that material (google it later). That way you skip most of the weakest episodes of both, which are the hasty recap part at the start of Brotherhood.

I don't see a need to skip the alternate ending of the 2003 version, they should be perfectly fine realizing that Brotherhood is an alternate continuation of the story.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #31337 on: June 16, 2018, 12:44:31 pm »

Alternatively, you could start them on brotherhood (skipping the boring and pointless first episode of course) and just hope that they're able to forgive the flaws. Most people's tastes aren't as sophisticated as they would hope so they might not even notice the problems.

Okay, didn't actually hate the first episode, just hate the fact that they tried to introduce literally every military character in the same episode.

I think my decision will largely be based on what the City of Heresy (the first plot, but I really loved the Brotherhood name for it) looks like in both shows because I do have a Christian family...

Cthulufaic

• Bay Watcher
  • whats a touhou
    • View Profile
« Reply #31338 on: June 16, 2018, 11:44:39 pm »

The new FLCL episode was good, but not as good as episode 2 imo, this one was very rapid fire with lots of things happening in short succession.
BUT, its introduced new plot threads and new ideas and it left just enough to figure out to make me feel smart, so that's a plus. 
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31339 on: June 17, 2018, 10:55:07 am »

It's very weird and will get better on a second watch, like the first one did.

I still giggle over stuff like Momimi tossing little comments and "heheheheh" in here and there.

Cthulufaic

• Bay Watcher
  • whats a touhou
    • View Profile
« Reply #31340 on: June 21, 2018, 11:35:32 pm »

Yo this week's episode of Megalobox is fucking amazing.  Everyone needs to watch Megalobox, cause the finale is next week.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31341 on: June 22, 2018, 12:16:39 am »

So how would you recommend starting FullMetal Alchemist through the anime? Any suggestions for them?
Oh hey, my signature is relevant again.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31342 on: June 24, 2018, 11:11:57 am »

Megalobox is everything good the golden age of anime combined with everything good about modern anime.
The art style is intense
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31343 on: June 26, 2018, 12:52:23 am »

So I've rewatched Oregairu ("My Youth Romantic Comedy Is Wrong, as I Expected") for what feels like the third time, while desperately waiting for new LN Volumes to come out, and thought I'd ask around for any similiar recommendations in either the Rom/Romcom genre. I've only ever really liked this and Toradora, being the two shows where I was actually invested in the characters and where the romance was neither forced nor written badly.

Also fine with other genres, if they do contain a decent romantic aspect. Decent in my case referring to "not needlessly glued onto the plot" and contributing to the story, rather than taking away from it.
English isnt my mother language, so feel free to correct me if I make a mistake in my post.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31344 on: June 26, 2018, 03:06:26 pm »

Also fine with other genres, if they do contain a decent romantic aspect. Decent in my case referring to "not needlessly glued onto the plot" and contributing to the story, rather than taking away from it.

You could try Lovely Complex, Kimi ni Todoke, Ore Monogatari.

Or ones like Nana, Beck, Skip Beat, Kids on the Slope, Nodame Cantabile. They'll all music related ones.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31345 on: July 02, 2018, 06:19:06 pm »

Also why did nobody tell me that Steins:Gate was great?
I mean many people did, but it took way too long for me to be convinced.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #31346 on: July 03, 2018, 10:54:50 am »

Also why did nobody tell me that Steins:Gate was great?
I mean many people did, but it took way too long for me to be convinced.
I absolutely hated the fucking characters at the start, which gave it massive impact when it managed to convince me that these characters' obnoxious, cliched quirkiness was completely justified, so I'm not surprised if other people also struggled to make it through the first 3 or 5 episodes.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31347 on: July 04, 2018, 03:42:09 am »

I'm up to episode 13 and the protagonist has shitted me to the point of frustrated tears.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #31348 on: July 05, 2018, 01:21:29 pm »

the protagonist has shitted me
Uh, he what now???

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31349 on: July 06, 2018, 09:29:05 pm »

Well new shows starting, time to see if anything sounds interesting (season chart). Not counting spin-offs or sequels here since if you already know then you'd be onto them already so it's not worth mentioning. I also skimmed past all the ones where teenagers discover they have magic powers to fight monsters or MMORPG isekai ones, idol ones, purely pervy ones, etc.

As for sports ones, the choice this season are men's swimming (all about abs), girl's beach volleyball (looks bouncy) and girl's Badminton (which has an incredibly cliched synopsis: a genius player quits the sport but then meets a dedicated player who trains all the time to be the best. A motivating coach, friends and rivals drive them to win the highschool tournament. That's the plot of dozens of other sports animes).

Below are ones that sounded at least somewhat interesting to me (n.b. interesting doesn't automatically mean good).

« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 10:01:19 pm by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 2088 2089 [2090] 2091 2092 ... 2193