Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2087 2088 [2089] 2090 2091 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3082529 times)

SabbaticGoat

• Bay Watcher
  • help im stuck in a aquif-blublubublbulubl
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #31320 on: June 07, 2018, 06:41:30 pm »

Coincidentally, the fault milestone visual novels are actually written by the same author who wrote the Spice and Wolf novels, if you'd like to have my spare steam gift keys for that, let me know.

EDIT: Also I'm a big fan of the Aria series and have been watching the spiritual successor to Aria, Amanchu. It's nice but not as great as Aria (which isn't really a criticism). It's from a manga by the same author, and also directed by Junichi Satou (known for series including Sailor Moon, Aria, Princess Tutu and now Amanchu). If you like Spice and Wolf I'd recommend giving Aria a look.

And also Maoyuu Maou Yuusha, it's fairly similar to Spice and Wolf, and was directed by Takeo Takahashi, who was the director of Spice and Wolf, so it could be seen as a spiritual successor to some degree.

I watched Maoyuu Maou Yuusha and it was decent, but it didn't really hold up to Spice and Wolf imho.
Not to say it wasn't good; I liked it.

Also I'll check the game out and get back to you on if I want those Steam keys. Currently busy though, programming my game project.
hehe i became a girl

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31321 on: June 08, 2018, 02:58:10 am »

Ah I might have gotten the wrong end of the stick, I got another visual novel with gift keys that someone else got, World End Economica Parts 1-2, and that was the one written by the Spice and Wolf author. This other one is another fantasy one. Both were adapted into English by Sekai Project and included in the same bundles.

So same publisher, same bundles, both multi-part games, similar genre, and check out the character art from each, below. Gee I wonder how I could have mixed these up?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 03:10:37 am by Reelya »

SabbaticGoat

• Bay Watcher
  • help im stuck in a aquif-blublubublbulubl
    • View Profile
« Reply #31322 on: June 08, 2018, 03:35:45 am »

That's Japan for ya.
hehe i became a girl

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31323 on: June 08, 2018, 09:48:15 am »

I just binge watched Devilman Crybaby. Gotta say it's very Evangelion-esque, with animation that's more similar to Ping Pong. I don't think the very frequent (10-20+ times per episode) titty shots were necessary, but the entire show has a vibe of relying on its audacious imagery.

I'm not one to get shook up, Grave of the Fireflies didn't even make me flinch, but the ultimate and penultimate endings were heart rending; though I still think it went way overboard to score a reaction, there's no kill like overkill I guess.

I'll highly recommend the show.

Now I gotta binge watch Little Witch Academia in order to squeeze the most I can out of this free Netflix month. Hopefully it'll be a good palate cleanser.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #31324 on: June 08, 2018, 11:00:50 am »

World End Economica Parts 1-2
That name sounds like someone trying way too hard to make macroeconomics accessible to younger people.
"Wait, don't kids these days love anime and such? Let's go with that!"
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 11:02:25 am by Magistrum »
In a time before time, I had a name.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31325 on: June 08, 2018, 01:47:07 pm »

Don't pretend you wouldn't watch an anime about fukkin' macroeconomics-powered mechs fighting aliens and shit.

I would too
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 02:14:41 pm by Dunamisdeos »
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31326 on: June 08, 2018, 02:07:57 pm »

I just binge watched Devilman Crybaby. Gotta say it's very Evangelion-esque, with animation that's more similar to Ping Pong. I don't think the very frequent (10-20+ times per episode) titty shots were necessary, but the entire show has a vibe of relying on its audacious imagery.

I'm not one to get shook up, Grave of the Fireflies didn't even make me flinch, but the ultimate and penultimate endings were heart rending; though I still think it went way overboard to score a reaction, there's no kill like overkill I guess.

Now I gotta binge watch Little Witch Academia in order to squeeze the most I can out of this free Netflix month. Hopefully it'll be a good palate cleanser.

My main issue with Devilman was how short it was, and the pacing (and with it the show as a whole) suffered for it. If they had like, five more episodes to flesh out some of the stuff towards the end and not make everything go to shit within a single episode I think it would've hit even harder. As is, it's a tremendously stylistic and punchy show that always feels like it's running towards its inevitable end which kinda takes away from the whole thing.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31327 on: June 08, 2018, 08:47:51 pm »

Speaking of stylistic punch, FLCL is back and while I have no idea what was going on I definitely enjoyed most of it... could do without the repeated panty shots from that one guy though.

I mean, if I'm gonna be checking out a package dude better be gorgeous, like Leto gorgeous, oh god did I just type that out and post it?

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31328 on: June 08, 2018, 08:55:29 pm »

My main issue with Devilman was how short it was, and the pacing (and with it the show as a whole) suffered for it. If they had like, five more episodes to flesh out some of the stuff towards the end and not make everything go to shit within a single episode I think it would've hit even harder. As is, it's a tremendously stylistic and punchy show that always feels like it's running towards its inevitable end which kinda takes away from the whole thing.

This is raw speculation on my part as I haven't read the manga: If the anime HAD gotten more time, it might have detracted from the enjoyment of the show, as then the downfall of everything near the end would have been a lot longer and more torturous. In the rushed plotline that we have right now, when shit hit the fan, it was ALL THE SHIT, ALL OF IT EVER. Had it been slower, more fleshed out, incremental doses of shit, I'd perhaps had gotten a chance to acclimatize to it, and the overall impact would have been weaker as each little heartbreak wouldn't have had the intended effect of breaking my heart, but rather make me think the show was reveling in pessimism; which it is in its current iteration, but a shorter version doesn't give the chance for that negative opinion to build up over time. With a shorter, more impactful plotline, there's actually a chance to move me emotionally. as I'm very difficult and stubborn to move emotionally by shows. That's just me though.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #31329 on: June 10, 2018, 06:55:10 am »

I'm not loving the new FLCL so far. Apparently everyone can employ unassisted flight whenever they feel like it now, and robots can simply morph into completely different robots at any time. It's all just too convenient. Also the extended zombie guro scene felt tedious and unrelated to the rest of the episode...though it may come into context later on.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31330 on: June 10, 2018, 10:44:52 pm »

Haruko and fuck I forgot her damn name have damn good reasons for being able to fly.

Carbot is no different from Canti turning into a big cannon and whatnot.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31331 on: June 11, 2018, 10:32:41 am »

So I binge watched through all of Little Witch Academia. What a pleasant little show from start to finish. I filled up two days with nonstop watching of this in order to squeeze it in before my Netflix free trial expired, and I was still kinda disappointed to have it end. Even though the show is very much super child-friendly, you can tell that the show was intended for adults, especially adult fans of previous Trigger works. Dat Gurren Lagann episode was the fuckin' shit yo.

Though riiiight before my Netflix expiration, I had enough time for one more thing: In This Corner of the World. What a fantastic movie. I had just barely enough time to watch it before heading to work, and I was filled with satisfaction for my entire shift just thinking about it. So richly detailed, and so well written, it has a lot of those "Are you paying attention?" moments, where things are implied or just communicated indirectly to the audience, but you're never left confused as to what's happening, it just enhances your engagement and appreciation for the movie. It has that Ghibli spirit to it, where the story is extremely human and therefore enjoyable by anyone. This is a movie that deserves multiple viewings, I didn't have enough time to go through it a second time, but I wanted to just to more closely observe and see if there were any details I missed.
Maximum recommendation.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 10:37:46 am by JoshuaFH »

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #31332 on: June 12, 2018, 05:54:36 pm »

Haruko and fuck I forgot her damn name have damn good reasons for being able to fly.

Carbot is no different from Canti turning into a big cannon and whatnot.

Canti transformed into a cannon. You could see his parts moving and shifting into the new configuration. Yes it was unrealistic, but I'm willing to suspend disbelief because it's advanced alien technology, and just because exaggerated effects are part of the cartoon's style.
Carbot just morphs into completely different shapes, like he's made of play-doh. If they explained that he's made of nano-bots, then fine, I don't like it but whatever. But right now he's just demonstrating capabilities that are a stark contrast to all of the robots that came before, and without any sort of explanation it just feels like lazy story-boarding to me.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31333 on: June 13, 2018, 05:03:20 pm »

Uh, Canti massively increases in size and makes these huge brain-filled heatsinks emerge from nowhere. The terminal core eats a phone and doubles in size before becoming doglike and then turning into some weird horrorbeast and then plugging a big hole in a hand made from another giant gunbot.

The catears bot was even worse with the hyper-organic transformations it goes through.

Seems like you're swinging at nothing here.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #31334 on: June 15, 2018, 10:18:44 pm »

So I'll start this off by saying that I'm a huge fan of FullMetal Alchemist. I've read the first 18 volumes of the Manga and read more whenever I go to the library. However, I've only tried the first two episodes of Brotherhood before leaving in disgust because of the exposition before deciding that the manga was better.

The question is simple. I have two relatives I'd really like to get into the story of FullMetal Alchemist, but they're filthy casuals they don't like manga and prefer anime. I know there's some complicated way to get into FullMetal Alchemist through the anime, but... I don't know it xD

So how would you recommend starting FullMetal Alchemist through the anime? Any suggestions for them?
Pages: 1 ... 2087 2088 [2089] 2090 2091 ... 2193