Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2084 2085 [2086] 2087 2088 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3084236 times)

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #31275 on: April 19, 2018, 10:14:02 pm »

Full Metal Panic, isn't bad but I haven't seen the new series yet. But if you aren't the biggest fan of Code Geass you might not find it the most entertaining.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31276 on: April 20, 2018, 12:19:36 pm »

Shame, the new one looks to have the best implemented 3D stuff I've seen to date. The mechs in particular seem to be finally rendered at a normal and matching framerate as opposed to the eye-watering stutter some shows go for.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31277 on: April 20, 2018, 04:45:39 pm »

I still recommend giving it a try, since some of the executive meddling issues CG had shouldn't be present.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #31278 on: April 20, 2018, 08:11:42 pm »

So I wanna give the Fate anime a try cause I've heard good things about it. One issue though: this anime series is absolutely massive and littered with sequels and other versions. Where do I even begin?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #31279 on: April 20, 2018, 08:21:46 pm »

Pretty certainly not with prisma illya :V

I guess unlimited blade works? The ufotable thing. Plot's self contained, iirc, and it should ruin you of much need to watch much that's older than it is.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31280 on: April 20, 2018, 11:47:16 pm »

Pretty certainly not with prisma illya :V
But what if that's the only part you're interested in?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31281 on: April 21, 2018, 12:20:07 am »

Zero then Unlimited Budget Works then Feel, or UBW then Zero.

Ilya is better later, seriously, and fun after you know more backstory. It isn't just yuriloliservice, surprisingly.

Still disappointed we didn't get MAHOU SHOUJO BA-SA-KAAAAAA!

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31282 on: April 21, 2018, 08:08:39 am »

Seconded on the Fate:Zero recommendation. It does take a while to get going though. It only gets good at around episode 15, but then it gets really good.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #31283 on: April 22, 2018, 02:13:29 am »

So start with Fate:Zero?

All right, thanks guys! I'll probably start that tomorrow instead of catching up on all that work because who needs that.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31284 on: April 22, 2018, 07:14:18 am »

So I finally got around to watching Code Geass and stopped at episode 21.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

While it might be praised by many I don't think it's for me.

On a similar note, anyone watch Full Metal Panic? The new series looks neat (tho I understand it's the same insane combo of normal highschool life and secret mecha life as CG) and I'm not sure how much of previous stuff is needed to be able to follow it. From what I've read it's a direct sequel to the previous stuff, so I'm guessing there'll be holes that won't make much sense.

I'd say you're probably better off just watching a bit of Full Metal Panic from the very start and seeing if you like it. It probably wouldn't be hard to pick up what's going on, but other than "it's new" there's no real reason to jump into the current season rather than watching some of the original.

I'd say the tone of FMP is a lot different to CG, so having highschool + mecha doesn't really make them the same type of show at all. With FMP you're going to get a much more consistent tone to the thing, it doesn't jump around like CG. e.g. in FMP the fact of it being in a school is the core premise of the show, it's not just a convenient place to snap back to in between actual plot-relevant stuff, which is how the school in Code Geass functions.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 07:41:06 am by Reelya »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31285 on: April 22, 2018, 07:43:47 am »

IIRC, there's Full Metal Panic, which is a 'legitimate' anime, then there's FMP: Fumoffu, which is full on jokes and memes, which has its own charm.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31286 on: April 22, 2018, 07:54:39 am »

Yeah I read up on it a bit in the meantime. Think I might start with the original, but not right away probably, I've got Franxx and Boku no Hero filling my weekly dose of weeb.

On that note, Franxx is prolly gonna be my show of the year unless OPM is as good as the first season was. Too much stuff done the right way and I still can't stop rewatching certain scenes just for the visual flair they've got going on (especially when they start playing around with aspect ratios and black space).

Boku no Hero on the other hand is just damn solid all around, a step above regular shonen because it's got both brains and heart, really looking forward to the new villans they're introducing, they seem like a pretty interesting bunch.
AS - IG

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31287 on: April 22, 2018, 08:57:09 am »

Overall however, I wouldn't class FMP among the anime greats. If you have limited viewing time, then I'd have to recommend looking elsewhere.

e.g. Baccano and/or Durarara would be a better time investment. Or Black Lagoon, Cowboy Beebop, Gantz, basically most things not set in a school. While anime "set in a school" isn't necessarily a bad thing, it's often a sign of lazy writing since it's the #1 go-to default setting and thus doesn't require much creativity to come up with.

Some fairly recent shows I'd recommend for some sci-fi / action would be Inuyashiki and Knights of Sidonia, maybe the Gargantia mecha series, and the 5-episode Macross Zero series: that was made way back in 2002 but it still blows away most CGI mecha series even now. Here's a Macross Zero AMV, which I'm sure blows any anything that could possibly happen in the FMP setting. Also, for good measure, this Gundam IGLOO AMV is always fun.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 09:32:27 am by Reelya »

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31288 on: April 22, 2018, 09:56:47 am »

Yeah I've seen most if not all of those already, some a while back too (think I remember finding that Macross one trough a similar AMV thing). Will check out Inuyashiki since that cought my eye a while back but I kinda forgot about it.
AS - IG

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31289 on: April 22, 2018, 05:11:12 pm »

Gantz, Inuyashiki, same guy.

Sidonia, Blame!, same guy.

DRRR is great.

Gangsta too.