Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2085 2086 [2087] 2088 2089 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3082512 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #31290 on: April 23, 2018, 12:23:02 am »

Black Lagoon is on Crunchyroll :'( so happy
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31291 on: April 24, 2018, 12:37:32 pm »

I was looking through CR, and saw a thumbnail of a show, Golden Kamuy, and went "Is that a Jojo character?" and watched the first ep. There's some charmingly bad CGI present, but on the whole it seems like a cool af show, if a little heavy on the blood and violence.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31292 on: April 25, 2018, 07:33:36 am »

Ok, I have to sing the praises of this little show, it might honestly be the anime of the season at 3 eps in so far. Perhaps I'm just a sucker for exaggerated historical pieces, but I'm loving the mixture of Trigun-esque or Rurouni Kenshin-esque wide cast of characters that are all uniquely talented in some way, and actual-for-fucking-reals true to life facts about the Ainu, Japan's equivalent to Native Americans.

To explain further, our main character is teamed up with an Ainu girl, and every now and again some unsubtle factoids get dropped, and my first instinct was to brush it off as anime bullshit, but I got curious and looked it up, and at first glance it looks like this show is actually well-researched in regards to this ancient Japanese tribe of people I didn't know anything about until now. Even the word "Kamuy" in the title isn't a Japanese word, it's an Ainu one they use to describe animal spirits or animal gods. This educational shit is very obvious and I would say it's inserted into the show awkwardly but I don't care I fucking love it. Teach me more!

And I'm loving the cast of characters, there's our main character who I already mentioned wants to be a Jojo protagonist very badly, like seriously he just needs a stand and an ancient vampire to fight against. Though he's decidedly less fabulous, he has gimmick where he realizes that if he doesn't do something drastic RIGHT NOW he yells his own nickname and then does something crazy in order to survive at all costs. This seems to be a once an episode affair but I don't think it'll get old. Then we have our Ainu female lead, outdoor survivalist extraordinaire and living dispensary of Ainu facts, she's the straightman to our main foil, and where our protag is willing to kill or do anything to survive, she enforces an ideal of pacifism on both of them, refusing to kill even in self-defence. Together they join forces to find a One Piece-esque stash of gold.

We're only 3 eps in, but there's already several interesting antagonists on the horizon: A pro tracker that had both his legs snapped by a giant wolf only for him to get up and go "I'm gonna get that wolf!", the literal last surviving member of the Shinsengumi, actual Japanese Phineas Gage, and a strong guy that casually throws a prostitute like a high-speed Frisbee to defend himself in his introductory scene. That last one just sounds appalling, but trust me I was fucking stunned at that transaction.

You have my hopes up Golden Kamuy.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31293 on: April 25, 2018, 08:17:32 am »

a strong guy that casually throws a prostitute like a high-speed Frisbee

I thought for a moment that you were saying this was his "move", similar to Oddjob's hat from the movie Goldfinger, except this guy has a prostitute that he throws.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31294 on: April 25, 2018, 11:06:37 am »

Yeah, I've had the manga on the periphery of my radar for years and it seems like one of those things that people who read it always think is amazing, so I guess probably most folks should give it a try.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31295 on: April 25, 2018, 04:07:36 pm »

Art style is nice, might scratch an itch until Vinland Saga hits, btw if you gashed your hand with a chisel how do you know if it's infected and not just heal-itchy, does this look infected to you? *smears back of hand on screen*

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31296 on: April 26, 2018, 02:38:23 am »

So I've finally gotten around to watching yuru yuri after hearing it treated as a classic for ages. It starts out as a relatively standard slice of life with some more gay than usual, as you'd expect from the title. Consistently cheerful kirara tone. But I just got to the fifth episode and holy shit.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31297 on: April 27, 2018, 09:51:58 pm »

I discovered a pleasant little sports anime, Gurazeni: Money Pitch. I had high hopes for it, but after watching the first 4 eps, it is accurately described as a pleasant, laid-back, slice of life sports anime detailing the life of a pro baseball player. Why I had high hopes for it was because it was more 'realistic' in the sense that noone in the show has superhuman talent, tragic backstories, hot-blooded determination, or anything special about them that isn't present in ordinary Pro Baseball. What was interesting was that the main character's purpose in life is to make enough money during his professional career before he is eventually forced to retire so he can live comfortably off his earnings, the only problem being that he's just average as fuck. Actually, perhaps worse than average, because as far as mentality goes, he's second-rate. His motivation is something very petty, and he defines his self-worth in relation to his peers by his salary, which badly limits his performance, making him choke easily and be all-around unreliable; so in short, he's a loser that's peaked at 26 almost as a matter of fact.

The show came off to me as so initially likable, but the more I think about it, the crummier it seems. As our main character's obsession with money isn't unrealistic, but he's not destitute by any means, and he doesn't have a family to support, any debts to pay, nothing he really wants to buy, he just wants the extremely modest goal of being able to retire with money in the bank to live off of. Which is... not exactly something that makes you root for him, especially when it seems he doesn't pursue this goal with any real vigor or determination. Excepting only the first episode where he actually seems really pathologically determined by greed, which I initially found very likable because that made him seem like a guy that is average, but he can rise above his mediocrity through through the power of being so money hungry that he'll try hard and take risks to get what he wants, even if what he wants is lame as fuck. Subsequent episodes though revealed the chill, slice of life nature of the show, where I thought that show was going to be something more dramatic in the vein of One Outs, and our main character's money hungriness was forgotten about in favor of perusing the idle, average lives he and his teammates live.

And I was totally willing at first to overlook the subpar animation of the show, with the basic bitch character design and frequent usage of very non-charming CGI. Actually, the most interesting character is present in the ED, which is just a woman sitting on a hill as cute music plays to the credits. This woman is not present in the show itself, is unnamed, has no lines whatsoever, yet still is the most likable character in the show through virtue of a great deal of body language that gives the impression of her being an adorable, carefree soul.

I might stick with this show, if only because it's a very watchable show, but it's obviously unambitious in a way that makes you feel it's spoiling its own potential; and if there's anything that makes me resent something, it's the feeling of wasted opportunity.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 09:54:25 pm by JoshuaFH »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31298 on: May 10, 2018, 04:47:41 pm »

Hey there's one show from last season I'm about to watch (seen the first episode) that didn't get mentioned before, it just finished and I noticed the viewer ratings on it are exceptionally high compared to everything else of the season.

It's Violet Evergarden, by Kyoto Animation. Basically it's an alt-world historical fantasy slice of life series about this cyborg girl built for a "great war" resembling WWI, but the story comes after the war ended and covers how she has to adapt to civilian life and employment - working for the post office doing deliveries - and dealing with a little PTSD on the side.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31299 on: May 10, 2018, 08:40:58 pm »

That honestly sounds interesting enough for me to pick back up my Netflix subscription.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31300 on: May 10, 2018, 08:45:23 pm »

Seconded! That sounds pretty interesting. I'm adding that to my list.

Recently finished Net Juu no Susume. This anxious 30-something hikikomori goblin woman is mayhaps a bit too relatable? I thought the dual online/offline social dynamics between the characters was well-handled, and made me kinda nostalgic for the days I socialized and gamed with friends over Ragnarok Online. All in all, it's a nice meditation on friendships built around gaming and internet communities, and how they compare and contrast with meatspace social dynamics. And god, but these nerds and their shenanigans are adorable.

Lately, just been watching Steins;Gate 0. I'm enjoying the bittersweet melancholy, and seeing these college nerds dwelling in their various cultural fringe groups carrying on with their lives and dynamics, despite the adventure of the first story having been derailed in this timeline. I'm sad that they still played Ruka's gender-fuckery for laughs, but they seem to be better about things... and it honestly felt more like a callback to the 10-year-old joke from the original than anything. All in all, it's making me really curious to play the Visual Novel it and it's predecessor were based on.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31301 on: May 10, 2018, 08:57:22 pm »

I loved Net Juu No Susume. The social awkwardness on display by the characters seemed, not perfectly realistic, but just realistic enough to get invested into their lives very easily. I honestly wished it continued for another cour. On an unrelated side note, the show is somewhat famous for the director being a very vocal anti-semite, which is just the most bizarre thing.

Another show I wanted to bring up is the latest season of Lupin the Third: Part 5. It's just a great installment of the series, that pulls the characters into the 21st century. It's just a very fun show, though there are a lot of moments where Lupin's asspulls are extremely strong, like "Wha... why... HOW would you ever think to do that?!" though that seems to be Lupin's trademark personality trait.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #31302 on: May 11, 2018, 02:09:07 am »

I'm surprised no-one had mentioned Violet Evergarden. I've heard good things about it several times, although I haven't watched it myself.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #31303 on: May 11, 2018, 02:16:04 am »

Does it count if it's French?

Because I've been watching The Long Long Holiday, and it's great.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31304 on: May 11, 2018, 03:29:54 am »

It's hard to say, because France/Japan anime collaborations go way back, so there are a ton of other French ones considered anime since they were jointly broadcast in both nations. The Mysterious Cities of Gold is a classic example of that.

However, the Japanese word for all cartoons, anime came from the French term "anime" meaning "animated" (dessin anime is the whole French term for cartoon). So in both France and Japan everything comes under the blanket term "anime" even American cartoons. So sure, it can be called anime, since both the French and Japanese would call it that.

However, another caveat is that since in France "anime" is a generic term for animation in general like it is in Japan, I've met French people who use the word "manga" to denote Japanese cartoons. Whereas English and Spanish speakers I've met both use "anime" to denote purely Japanese series.

So in Japan "anime" is all cartoons, whereas in French it's cartoons in general, except "manga" specifically for Japanese ones, and in English / Spanish "anime" only refers to Japanese ones.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 12:28:43 am by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 2085 2086 [2087] 2088 2089 ... 2193