Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1987 1988 [1989] 1990 1991 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3075225 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #29820 on: January 22, 2017, 04:14:15 am »

We there's a prime example of it having nothing to do with love. Just excitement and action.

You would think it would and it would immediately win me over.

But we are talking about Japan here and "faux symbolism" is their chief export.

And given that the characters in the game are all the family members of the kidnapped children... that also could be the reference.

Though you are possibly right in this case it could mean "Heart Pounding adventure" instead of "Love Adventure"... and the only reason I can't say "Definitely right" is because of their silly tendency to add "love" and "doki doki" to things so needlessly that even though you are the most right... I can't make that leap >_<...
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 04:20:31 am by Neonivek »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29821 on: January 22, 2017, 05:16:12 am »

It relates to love about the same amount as every English mention of "heart" related things are about love. How's the symbolism any different? You're attacking Japanse symbolism as "faux" because it relates hearts beating fast with love? That's every English language love song from the 80s and 90s right there.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=songs+with+heart+in+the+title
http://www.ranker.com/list/top-30-songs-with-_heart_-in-the-title/junior53

The song "Heartache" isn't about coronary disease unfortunately. Before you make the claim that such-and-such is a trait specific to some foreign country/culture, you should take a second to compare that to your own culture.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 05:22:00 am by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29822 on: January 22, 2017, 05:25:02 am »

You're attacking Japanse symbolism as "faux" because it relates hearts beating fast with love?

No my statement is more... "Even though love might have absolutely nothing to do with Doki Doki Panic... I cannot say with 100% certainty that it isn't meant to be 'Love Panic' because they are entirely willing to give it a name that has nothing to do with the content, and not ironically either"

Actually forget anything else... Just put the diatribe to rest.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 05:29:04 am by Neonivek »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29823 on: January 22, 2017, 05:47:30 am »

Well "Doki Doki" turns up in the titles of quite a few video games none of which romance-related
https://www.mariowiki.com/Yume_K%C5%8Dj%C5%8D:_Doki_Doki_Panic
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doki_Doki_Penguin_Land
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doki-Doki_Universe
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DoReMi_Fantasy

Also in this Power Rangers movie. Subtitled "Doki Doki Circus Panic":
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doubutsu_Sentai_Zyuohger_the_Movie:_The_Exciting_Circus_Panic!
This Tamagotchi movie:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamagotchi:_The_Movie

So where does the term "Doki doki suru" ("My heart is beating") that you hear as a cliche actually come from. In fact, that doesn't turn up in the Japanese fandom. It's an english mash-up of Japanese/English which was then back-translated into Japanese:

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/you-make-my-kokoro-go-doki-doki

“You Make My Kokoro Go Doki Doki,” which roughly translates to “my heart goes lub dub” in English, is an expression primarily used by English-speaking fans of anime and mangas to convey feelings of love or admiration, in a similar vein to other Japanese-derived phrases like “my waifu” and “I hope my senpai will notice me”.
Origin

The Japanese-English hybrid phrase “you make my kokoro go doki doki,” with kokoro meaning “heart” and doki doki being the onomatopoeic word for the sound of a heartbeat in Japanese, is believed to have been coined by members of the English-speaking online communities devoted to manga and anime fandoms. The earliest known use of the expression can be found in the title of an original comic drawing submitted by DeviantART user SunshinexKite on January 15th, 2012.

On February 8th, 2012, an Urban Dictionary definition for “my kokoro goes doki doki” was submitted by user Kokodoki,[2] which reads:

“Kokoro” is Japanese for heart, while “doki doki” is an onomatopoeia for heartbeat. This phrase is often used ironically or in a humorous context to express admiration or love.

So ... both English-fan specific and pretty recently coined. The urban dictionary entry suggests it's a Japanese phrase, but it actually isn't. The whole thing was coined by English speakers.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 06:06:13 am by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29824 on: January 22, 2017, 05:52:10 am »

Though less common I believe Doki Doki can also refer to the ticking of a clock.

As well Waku Waku (I think that is the correct term) is ALSO a heart sound, albeit a lot less common... I think... (I am especially uneasy because it could have been a joke)

Goodness I just realized all the heart onomotopias are so far... said twice.

Not completely unheard of given how the heart works AND the fact that the sound is continuous... "Tick-Tock" for clocks for example... "Pitter Patter" for both hearts and footsteps.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 05:56:59 am by Neonivek »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29825 on: January 22, 2017, 05:56:16 am »

That's because a heartbeat is the same sound twice in rapid succession, like "Bump-bump", or "thump-thump"

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29827 on: January 22, 2017, 06:08:42 am »

BTW I found a bunch of actual Japanese usages of doki doki from Wikipedia's page on the issue, and edited them into the last post. They include a bunch of platform and puzzle games, a Power Rangers movie and the Tamagotchi movie's subtitle. There was one NSFW game, but it wasn't romance-related. Basically I couldn't find anything from that link in which the doki doki meant "love" - except for the info about the English fandom.

EDIT: The closest actual Japanese reference is DokiDoki PreCure, but the only real link is a throwaway catchphrase from Cure Heart about the power of love ... which is just standard genre fluff, as there doesn't seem to even be a love interest in the show. So in other words it's just a power of friendship show where each of the girls has a catchphrase related to her symbolism.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 06:19:20 am by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29828 on: January 22, 2017, 06:10:20 am »

BTW I found a bunch of actual Japanese usages of doki doki from Wikipedia's page on the issue, and edited them into the last post. They include a bunch of platform and puzzle games, a Power Rangers movie and the Tamagotchi movies subtitle. There was one NSFW game, but it wasn't a "romance" game. Basically I couldn't find anything from that link in which the doki doki meant "love".

Alright, thank you. It must be more of a cliché that is brought up when they need to be extra cliché.

In the same way that someone with start saying baby a lot when the scene is meant to have cheesy romance (except Baby is still kind of an overused term of endearment)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 06:13:16 am by Neonivek »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29829 on: January 22, 2017, 06:23:57 am »

Actually can you think of an actual Japanese utterance of doki doki in a romance-related context? Because I can't think of any. Only stuff related to 4chan (the videos they paid Tyrone to make) and other English blogosphere stuff. If we can't find Japanese references, I'm attributing this to one of those cross-culture mash-up things.

BTW if you want a phrase that means heartbeat that does turn up in romance related contexts, it's hardly ever dokidoki, it's Tokimeki. As in the VN/dating sim Tokimeki Memorial. But that one doesn't "jibe" with the memes, right? Even though it's how Japanese people actually use it. Here's wikipedia's links related to the term:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokimeki
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 06:26:48 am by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29830 on: January 22, 2017, 06:32:30 am »

Actually can you think of an actual Japanese utterance of doki doki in a romance-related context?

It is a common phrase that translates roughly into "My heart was racing" that occurs either during a romance scene but more commonly AFTER it.

It is also a phrase that is used often with lovey dovey characters and love based attacks.

Though I will say Doki Doki is often combined with "Moto, Moto"... Usually making a phrase that translates into either "My heart was beating more and more" or "I wanted my heart to beat more and more"

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29831 on: January 22, 2017, 06:34:21 am »

Contemplate phrase "heart-throb", in relation to "Doki Doki"

Easy association.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29832 on: January 22, 2017, 06:36:18 am »

Honestly right now I desperately want to know what "Waku Waku" means.

Because I only heard it EXACTLY once... and the phrase was basically "Doki doki waku waku" which was part of a parody intro song about a title character of some 80s style anime.

I assume Waku Waku is another phrase that refers to a beating heart.

I should probably link that parody song... It is pretty funny.

---

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHH! I rechecked it

Not Waku-Waku... Baku-Baku
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 06:39:17 am by Neonivek »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29833 on: January 22, 2017, 06:39:00 am »

Nothing beats this album title:

Dokidoki Wakuwaku Pamyu Pamyu Revolution Land 2012 in Kira Kira Budōkan

(Actually Wakuwaku is about happiness and excitement. I think it's similar in meaning to "Woohoo").
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 06:43:06 am by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29834 on: January 22, 2017, 06:39:51 am »

Nothing beats this album title:

Dokidoki Wakuwaku Pamyu Pamyu Revolution Land 2012 in Kira Kira Budōkan

That HAS to be a joke even in Japan.

---

ALSO NEVERMIND!!!

Baku-Baku is just ONE phrase used... Waku-Waku and Biku-Biku is also used.

Dang it Japan! Why so many heart sounds? (Assuming it is... Actually I assume many of these are puns and one of these might be a VERY inappropriate sound for a heart to make)

Chiru-Chiru is also used, but it might be unrelated.

AND to add to the heart sounds there is: Zukyuun AND Bakyuun.

Actually I wonder if the joke is about how many sounds they could come up with O_o...
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 06:45:48 am by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 ... 1987 1988 [1989] 1990 1991 ... 2193