Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1989 1990 [1991] 1992 1993 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3074922 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #29850 on: January 23, 2017, 09:54:27 pm »

Word is that in addition to R3 and the movies they're also going to release a Code Geass spinoff series based on an AU even more extreme than the one with Guyver Nunnally. It's going to focus on a young, ignorant prince banished by his distant, delusional father, only it's not Lelouch. Kid apparently is raised in extreme wealth and privilege, goes through some major trauma at a young age because of the hidden barbs of his father's repugnant personal philosophy, resurfaces in the press years later, and then kills his father in the seat of his power to take the throne for himself.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #29851 on: January 23, 2017, 10:29:24 pm »

Alright, I lol'd.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29852 on: January 24, 2017, 01:49:56 am »

This is a great season if you like cute girls doing cute things, which I do. KyoAni, Doga Kobo, Trigger, and JC Staff all on deck. Demi-chan is good too, although it's not exactly the same thing since it has a very attractive major male character.

Seems a bit of a dead season outside of that genre, but that's to be expected for winter.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 04:21:33 pm by Cruxador »

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29853 on: January 25, 2017, 06:52:03 pm »

Finally decided to get off my butt and watch K-ON.
Took forever to find it though, the license in Oz got bought so a lot of sites had to take it down so Madman could get their profits.

First impression, is it basically seems like a better drawn, more wishy-washy Beck.
... Okay maybe Beck is the only other music anime I've ever seen.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29854 on: January 25, 2017, 07:04:32 pm »

You don't watch K-On for the music, it's a cute girls x things show, with a "music" theme.

For other music-related animes, try Detroit Metal City, Nana, Nodame Cantabile and Sakamichi no Apollon. Or if the cute girls is more your thing (e.g. you want more K-On type stuff), Hibiki Euphonium and/or Love Live.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 07:15:07 pm by Reelya »

Oneir

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fancy hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29855 on: January 25, 2017, 07:29:36 pm »

While the anime I confused LWA with... had everyone be bewildered and constantly moan about how this girl WHO SAW HER MOTHER COMMIT SUICIDE (and blame her for it, may I add) for some reason isn't happy go lucky not even a month after it occurred. All the children finding her totally weird, adults constantly bemoaning how she isn't acting lady like. She getting betrayed and ending up in slavery. Yet this is still what I considered on the cusp a sort of "Lesser Jerk World".
-Though to admit that might be because everyone is a total jerk to her... UNTIL she meets the man in her life... then suddenly she is surrounded by nice people.

Ah, yeah. Mahoutsukai no Yome / Ancient Magus Bride is a weird one. If you overlook the...absolute uncomfortable weirdness...of an inhuman wizard buying a slave to "marry" (albeit in a kind of asexual arrangement?), it's an interesting story.

I was going to say there was handwaving about how her magical weirdness caused all the terrible things in her past, but I don't actually remember if they bother with that? She just gets stuck with the jerk people and spirits and things that want to eat her.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29856 on: January 25, 2017, 07:31:46 pm »

You don't watch K-On for the music, it's a cute girls x things show, with a "music" theme.
Good to know, I'll keep that in mind.
Not really a fan of the 'cute girls and X' genre. I think Non-non biyori is the only one I've ever seen, and I didn't get through it.
Unless Nichijou counts. I don't think Nichijou counts.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29857 on: January 25, 2017, 07:34:01 pm »

I was going to say there was handwaving about how her magical weirdness caused all the terrible things in her past, but I don't actually remember if they bother with that? She just gets stuck with the jerk people and spirits and things that want to eat her.

There is some implication... but it is also equally likely that magical weirdness is a very ordinary part of everyday life and only she can see it.

It is a lot like Yokai Watch in that respect... a game and anime with impressive unfortunate implication.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29858 on: January 25, 2017, 08:01:18 pm »

While the anime I confused LWA with... had everyone be bewildered and constantly moan about how this girl WHO SAW HER MOTHER COMMIT SUICIDE (and blame her for it, may I add) for some reason isn't happy go lucky not even a month after it occurred. All the children finding her totally weird, adults constantly bemoaning how she isn't acting lady like. She getting betrayed and ending up in slavery. Yet this is still what I considered on the cusp a sort of "Lesser Jerk World".
-Though to admit that might be because everyone is a total jerk to her... UNTIL she meets the man in her life... then suddenly she is surrounded by nice people.

Ah, yeah. Mahoutsukai no Yome / Ancient Magus Bride is a weird one. If you overlook the...absolute uncomfortable weirdness...of an inhuman wizard buying a slave to "marry" (albeit in a kind of asexual arrangement?), it's an interesting story.

I think it's briefly mentioned in the manga, but the OVA trilogy focuses on it.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29859 on: January 25, 2017, 08:32:29 pm »

Well that's what Beauty and the Beast is all about as well, really. Also a staple of fairy tales in general.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29860 on: January 25, 2017, 08:37:07 pm »

Well that's what Beauty and the Beast is all about as well, really. Also a staple of fairy tales in general.

Well... sort of.

Usually there is a bit more then just the Beast being like... the perfect guy and giving you everything you want... and there being like no problems.

Well unless he was going to kill you.

The Beast in Beauty and the Beast, typically had a FEW hang ups...

If anything the story reminds me of Eros and Psyche... just without the conflict of understandable suspicion.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29861 on: January 25, 2017, 11:40:56 pm »

Well... sort of.

Usually there is a bit more then just the Beast being like... the perfect guy and giving you everything you want... and there being like no problems.
There's definitely problems in Mahoutsukai no Yome though. Huge and constant problems. They're just not as obvious as literally confining her to his house, he only does it figuratively, and she helps him do it. Beauty and the Beast's overt problems aren't an accurate metaphor for marriage any more, so Mahoutsukai does it differently. Sort of like how first wave feminism isn't really relevant any more, so modern feminists are different. And I say "sort of like" but that's not really a simile so much as the exact same thing.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #29862 on: January 27, 2017, 06:45:13 pm »

Alright, I lol'd.
Did they ever continue translating LoK? I read up to the ending of the original arc, with Hitler on his moon base playing mahjong against Koizumi, Rommel throwing a spanner in the works, Hitler going super Aryan and summoning two supernatural hitlerjugend and Koizumi's final rising sun at the end which kills Hitler and his soul gets taken to the afterlife by Churchill, Stalin and Roosevelt. There was a new arc after that, but the guy who translated it quit working on it. Man, that manga sure was something else.

Fakeedit: I just checked myself and it seems someone did continue translating it. Though I'm sure nothing will ever top Mahjong against Hitler, I'm excited nonetheless.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29863 on: January 27, 2017, 06:49:16 pm »

I'm sad there wasn't more of it in anime form, the handful of episodes that came out were top-notch comedy gold, never was much of a manga reader, especially in the electronic form.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #29864 on: January 27, 2017, 07:00:30 pm »

yeah, the ova's were pretty dang good.
Pages: 1 ... 1989 1990 [1991] 1992 1993 ... 2193