Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1986 1987 [1988] 1989 1990 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3074839 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #29805 on: January 13, 2017, 08:42:28 am »

Do we talk about manga here?
Spoiler: I hope so (click to show/hide)
Also it's really good. 10/10 would emotionally traumatize myself again.

The title of a series spoiled should really be outside the spoiler, or in the title of the spoiler. Otherwise it's like a hand-grenade which you don't know whether it's a dud or dangerous until you open it. You didn't really write any spoilerish material in there, but in general, mystery spoilers aren't really handy.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 08:44:55 am by Reelya »

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29806 on: January 13, 2017, 03:16:30 pm »

Do we talk about manga here?
Spoiler: I hope so (click to show/hide)
Also it's really good. 10/10 would emotionally traumatize myself again.

The title of a series spoiled should really be outside the spoiler, or in the title of the spoiler. Otherwise it's like a hand-grenade which you don't know whether it's a dud or dangerous until you open it. You didn't really write any spoilerish material in there, but in general, mystery spoilers aren't really handy.
It looks like it's written in a spoiler tradition not native to these boards. A spoiler, in this case, doesn't necessarily represent an actual spoiler but is a kind of a rhetorical presentation technique. It's a bit akin to the dialogue in manga that's written outside of text bubbles, and when translated is often unique among dialogue in using a font that includes lowercase characters.

As to the actual topic at hand, I feel like there's too much manga for a thread with as small a userbase as this one to have meaningful discussions without first becoming a circlejerk. Even with anime, discussions are limited because someone can go "I saw this series and it was awesome!" and then not enough people have seen it to start a conversation.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29807 on: January 18, 2017, 05:40:51 pm »

DBS episode 2
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #29808 on: January 18, 2017, 07:04:51 pm »

Goodness I am starting to think the Author of Jojo... actively hates his own series.

I did a few mental exercises to enjoy it (pretending part 1-2 never happened helps a lot)

(pretending part 1-2 never happened helps a lot)

HERESY
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29809 on: January 19, 2017, 04:28:40 pm »

If there is one big credit I will give to "Start From Zero"

It is that the main character is the most suspicious person in the universe.

So how do people treat him? Like the most suspicious person in the universe.

It is only the main character's earnestness and general cluelessness that keeps people at bay (that and... well... the best way to deal with a spy is to pretend they aren't a spy)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29810 on: January 20, 2017, 12:07:56 pm »

I watched two interesting animes back-to-back: Shinsekai Yori and The Tale of Genji.

I think a lot of people around here would be familiar with Shinsekai Yori. It has very dramatic presentation with an interesting setting and a very good pace to the plot. Though it does seem like the plot was rushed and condensed in some spots, I think it got through what it wanted to say. I suppose my only gripe with it would be:

Then there's the Tale of Genji:
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 12:09:27 pm by JoshuaFH »

Oneir

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fancy hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29811 on: January 21, 2017, 09:23:02 am »

Then there's the Tale of Genji:
I'm pretty sure this is based on an old japanese text, and I butchered the story in my little synopsis above, but this guy is absurd. Because it was so dramatically absurd though, I really enjoyed it.
Not just a Japanese text, but by some accounts the oldest novel in the world.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29812 on: January 22, 2017, 12:54:05 am »

What does Panic mean in Japan?

I know it is an English word and some smarty is going to go "Panic means panic" but I mean what do they use to refer it to? It seems to be just a crazy mixed up event.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #29813 on: January 22, 2017, 01:15:07 am »

What does Panic mean in Japan?

I know it is an English word and some smarty is going to go "Panic means panic" but I mean what do they use to refer it to? It seems to be just a crazy mixed up event.

Are you asking for the definition of panic, or some actual event in Japan named Panic?
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29814 on: January 22, 2017, 01:22:53 am »

If you mean something like "Doki Doki Panic" than I believe it is used as you said, to imply a frantic, exciting situation.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29815 on: January 22, 2017, 01:26:49 am »

If you mean something like "Doki Doki Panic" than I believe it is used as you said, to imply a frantic, exciting situation.

There are a lot of times Panic is used like... Dye Panic.

Doki Doki Panic... likely means more of a love thing doesn't it? because Doki Doki is the beating of the heart. A Escapade likely.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29816 on: January 22, 2017, 01:30:18 am »

Doki Doki just means "heart-pumping" i.e as an adjective. It's not a specific thing about love except for the fact that love make your heart beat faster.

As for anime titles, you have Strawberry Panic and Full Metal Panic. Probably the only thing they have in common is both being farcical comedies. In these contexts it probably means mixed-up situations. e.g. "wacky hijinks", "zany antics" and other nauseating terms, rather than e.g. panicking because your house is burning down and there's an homicidal chainsaw murderer after you.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 01:37:43 am by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29817 on: January 22, 2017, 01:41:58 am »

Doki Doki just means "heart-pumping" i.e as an adjective. It's not a specific thing about love except for the fact that love make your heart beat faster.

First thanks for answering Reelya.

As for this. Yes it isn't "specific about love" but the symbolism is so well attached that it pretty much always means that.

At least I cannot recall when it was contradicted...

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29818 on: January 22, 2017, 02:25:39 am »

First thanks for answering Reelya.

As for this. Yes it isn't "specific about love" but the symbolism is so well attached that it pretty much always means that.

At least I cannot recall when it was contradicted...

"Yume Kōjō :Doki Doki Panic" translates to "Dream Factory: Heart-Pounding Panic". It's the title of the game that was used as the basis for Super Mario Bros. 2 in the west.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29819 on: January 22, 2017, 03:48:34 am »

We there's a prime example of it having nothing to do with love. Just excitement and action.
Pages: 1 ... 1986 1987 [1988] 1989 1990 ... 2193