Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1922 1923 [1924] 1925 1926 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3074868 times)

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #28845 on: September 12, 2016, 06:34:41 am »

One thing I don't get is why she doesn't just recharge by eating the air like Natsu does by eating fire. It seems to me like an easy way to get more endurance in a fight which she seems to lack.
My guess is because healing is pretty high on the "story breaker power" list, and being able to recharge literally ANYWHERE, ANYTIME would make her pretty much 100% invincible.
So basically, the writers don't want to have to write around it :P
Not healing, recharging. Sky dragon slayers have been explicitly noted to be incapable of self-healing, unlike sky god slayers. Just recharging magic power would be useful and wouldn't break the story.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 07:37:38 am by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #28846 on: September 12, 2016, 08:11:04 am »

I meant healing others. If she could just heal everyone indefinitely while they protect her they probably coulda took Acnalogia the first time he showed up. I mean, there's a reason that Frieza from DBZ killed Dende first. White Mages are OP.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #28847 on: September 12, 2016, 10:28:42 am »

Fuck the Wizard, save the Cleric.  :P

Support classes are OP by nature. If Sayaka had realized that and played more Healtank than Paladon't, Madoka would have been a very different anime about Homura and her army of Healbots.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28848 on: September 12, 2016, 11:14:16 am »

It's not really that refreshing, unless you're looking at it as a shonen action series. But I'd argue that Re:Zero is more of a battle harem series, which is very prevalent in light novels. The difference is that shonen series are about the MC and his abilities, whereas battle harems are about the girls and their abilities. Battle harems with the hero having some sort of "defective" power are dime a dozen in light novels.

Re:Zero isn't that different to KonoSuba in that particular regard: they're both light novels about a hero with no abilities gets sent to fantasy world, teams up with overpowered girls. Index is similar too: a light novel filled with powerful girls, and a hero's who power is not having any powers.
There's some battle harem elements to it, but it doesn't really follow the format that well. There's really only two girls where there's romantic development at this point (though I haven't read the LN and it wouldn't surprise me at all if there's more added over time) and both of those are totally one-sided. He's got his Dulcinea but for the whole second cour, she has been pissed off at him and geographically separated, and he never got that close in the first cour either. And he's got Rem, who is fatuously devoted but who he pretty much just takes advantage of. The other characters which come to his aid are not that uneven in gender distribution. Of the mansion inhabitants, there's two other females, but the (male) lord saves his ass too, and the White Whale fight involved help from female political players but there was really no romantic aspect to it at all and the main girl for that battle was an old man. And now he's working more or less entirely with male knights.

I don't think there's any super good classification for it, besides just "isekai". Re:0 (and Isekai in general) doesn't really follow any of the established formats from the last decade.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28849 on: September 12, 2016, 11:17:31 am »

Support classes are OP by nature. If Sayaka had realized that and played more Healtank than Paladon't, Madoka would have been a very different anime about Homura and her army of Healbots.
If you can only heal yourself, are you really a support class? Maybe the movies changed some things but I don't ever remember Sayaka healing anyone else (her wish notwithstanding).
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28850 on: September 12, 2016, 11:38:15 am »

If you can only heal yourself, are you really a support class? Maybe the movies changed some things but I don't ever remember Sayaka healing anyone else (her wish notwithstanding).
IIRC, the games, which are considered largely canon compliant, gave Sayaka what was effectively a paladin's lay-on-hands.

But no, in the series she only ever used her natural regen abilities. Again; she was playing more of a berserker-type than a proper paladin, or a medic, as would have been most useful. None of the other girls have any healing ability at all, I think, which makes Sayaka best suited to playing medic. The fact that she can also play tank only makes her more suitable as a medic; everyone shoots the medic first after all. Sayaka is also very fast, which means she's basically perfectly built for running in and grabbing a downed melee or short-range fighter and dragging them back behind the lines, healing them back up, and then repeating with another. If she gets hit, she can just shrug it off. If she has to fight, she has decent fighting abilities. But it's not like Mami can do much more than bandages, Kyouko would be completely useless, and Homura probably has a bank of first aid kits and a lot of experience but no actual abilities in the field.

Sayaka was actually a really well-built paladin. The major issue she had was 1) Fighting with the Chaotic Neutral Thief, 2) Playing as a barbarian rather than as what she actually was specced as, and 3) Being Lawful Stupid.

I mean, there was also the whole "Soul Gems are actually awesome" thing but I think that's a cultural issue. I bet the incubators in America divulge that information as a positive before the Girl actually contracts.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28851 on: September 12, 2016, 12:17:59 pm »

Well, Homura kinda has the whole "I can fuck up as many times as I have to until I get it right" thing like REZUBARU.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #28852 on: September 12, 2016, 03:21:22 pm »

Sayaka was actually a really well-built paladin. The major issue she had was 1) Fighting with the Chaotic Neutral Thief, 2) Playing as a barbarian rather than as what she actually was specced as, and 3) Being Lawful Stupid.
I think her real issues were severe emotional stress and just not being that powerful. A lot of the former probably goes with the territory of being what she was, but Coobs mentioned that Mami was just plain powerful and Kyouko was an efficient farmer who could thus afford to fight at full strength all the time. If being a solo attrition tank was viable, she probably wouldn't have needed to go berserk mode.

I mean, there was also the whole "Soul Gems are actually awesome" thing but I think that's a cultural issue. I bet the incubators in America divulge that information as a positive before the Girl actually contracts.
I dunno, considering the explicit point is to contract the most emotional people you can find I suspect this is kind of a universal issue. The ones we know were fine with it were pretty scarred beforehand, after all.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #28853 on: September 12, 2016, 04:43:20 pm »

I think her real issues were severe emotional stress and just not being that powerful. A lot of the former probably goes with the territory of being what she was, but Coobs mentioned that Mami was just plain powerful and Kyouko was an efficient farmer who could thus afford to fight at full strength all the time. If being a solo attrition tank was viable, she probably wouldn't have needed to go berserk mode.

You're asking us to trust the assessment of KYUUBEY
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28854 on: September 12, 2016, 05:57:22 pm »

I meant healing others. If she could just heal everyone indefinitely while they protect her they probably coulda took Acnalogia the first time he showed up.
Even with unlimited magic power she couldn't do anything about Acnalogia. Her ability to heal others is limited by the speed of the spell - which is slow - rather than magic power drain. It's just not usable in combat, which is why explosion guy had to be distracted while she healed Natsu.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28855 on: September 12, 2016, 08:38:24 pm »

I meant healing others. If she could just heal everyone indefinitely while they protect her they probably coulda took Acnalogia the first time he showed up.
Even with unlimited magic power she couldn't do anything about Acnalogia. Her ability to heal others is limited by the speed of the spell - which is slow - rather than magic power drain. It's just not usable in combat, which is why explosion guy had to be distracted while she healed Natsu.

She also cannot heal people who have been damaged too extensively. Anyone critically injured won't be getting back up even with her help.

People also get resistance and eventual immunity to a few of her healing spells.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28856 on: September 12, 2016, 09:02:19 pm »

People also get resistance and eventual immunity to a few of her healing spells.
I thought that was just Natsu and her troia spell?

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28857 on: September 12, 2016, 10:02:03 pm »

So, I don't see this mentioned so I'll bite.

What do you guys think of New Game! ?

I'll save my opinions for later.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #28858 on: September 12, 2016, 10:11:37 pm »

Haven't seen it yet myself, but IIRC the general atmosphere here was one of semi-accepting disappointment.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28859 on: September 12, 2016, 10:13:28 pm »

The final Toradora Log is in a new thread, if anyone is interested.

It's in General Discussion for now, but I might have it moved to Play with Your Buddies.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
Pages: 1 ... 1922 1923 [1924] 1925 1926 ... 2193