Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1923 1924 [1925] 1926 1927 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3074736 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #28860 on: September 12, 2016, 11:12:38 pm »

I mean, there was also the whole "Soul Gems are actually awesome" thing but I think that's a cultural issue. I bet the incubators in America divulge that information as a positive before the Girl actually contracts.

I don't know about that. Look at recent polls on possible human modification, and Americans are not that keen:
http://edition.cnn.com/2016/07/27/health/human-enhancement-pew-survey/
The more religious people were the most against any sort of modification, and nobody is more religious than the Americans. Also, men were more open to modification than women. Only 22% of American women said it was morally acceptable to gene edit their baby to prevent serious disease. Only 14% of American women thought injecting "synthetic blood" (which boosts performance) would be morally OK. Soul gems would be way less appealing than that. Maybe 5% of American girls would think it's "awesome" if we're being generous.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 11:22:45 pm by Reelya »

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28861 on: September 13, 2016, 12:45:25 am »

What do you guys think of New Game! ?
I'm enjoying it. It's definitely some major wish fulfillment (A good and fulfilling job where you're respected, straight out of high school?) but it's well executed and the interactions feel real while also instilling a feeling of contented happiness. I do think they over Aoba's naivety, and the "Nene acts like a kid!" isn't a punchline that, for me, is amusing near as many times as they've used it. But that detracts only a little from the overall experience.

I've heard New Game! cited as evidence that Doga Kobo is edging into KyoAni's tier of consistent quality, along with speculation that if current trends continue, they'll usurp that mantle. Personally, I think that with new avenues for monetization opening up, there's room for more than one at the top.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28862 on: September 13, 2016, 02:05:48 am »

I mean, there was also the whole "Soul Gems are actually awesome" thing but I think that's a cultural issue. I bet the incubators in America divulge that information as a positive before the Girl actually contracts.

I don't know about that. Look at recent polls on possible human modification, and Americans are not that keen:
The more religious people were the most against any sort of modification, and nobody is more religious than the Americans. Also, men were more open to modification than women. Only 22% of American women said it was morally acceptable to gene edit their baby to prevent serious disease. Only 14% of American women thought injecting "synthetic blood" (which boosts performance) would be morally OK. Soul gems would be way less appealing than that. Maybe 5% of American girls would think it's "awesome" if we're being generous.

In all fairness. They don't have the tech and don't exactly know what it means and are afraid of the consequences.

No one wants another Gatika to happen... As well what constitutes a "Serious disease"? Aspergers is serious disease :P

They have the "Soul Gem" technology in their hands.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #28863 on: September 13, 2016, 05:16:49 am »

Sayaka was actually a really well-built paladin. The major issue she had was 1) Fighting with the Chaotic Neutral Thief, 2) Playing as a barbarian rather than as what she actually was specced as, and 3) Being Lawful Stupid.
I think her real issues were severe emotional stress and just not being that powerful. A lot of the former probably goes with the territory of being what she was, but Coobs mentioned that Mami was just plain powerful and Kyouko was an efficient farmer who could thus afford to fight at full strength all the time. If being a solo attrition tank was viable, she probably wouldn't have needed to go berserk mode.

You're asking us to trust the assessment of KYUUBEY
Come now, he's VERY reliable when it's not in his best interests to be otherwise! At least, I don't think he was trying to ruin Blue to bait Pink. I could be wrong.

In all fairness. They don't have the tech and don't exactly know what it means and are afraid of the consequences.

No one wants another Gatika to happen... As well what constitutes a "Serious disease"? Aspergers is serious disease :P

They have the "Soul Gem" technology in their hands.
Probably more importantly, that study was of adults. Youngin's tend to be more open to crimes against man and God than old folks. Assuming the new blood is twice as open to self-enhancing atrocities and feel half as great about replacing their soul as they do replacing their blood, we could settle into a nice 14% acceptance rate. Might be as high as ten if we're being a little more realistic but still generous.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28864 on: September 13, 2016, 09:33:48 am »

I'm enjoying it. It's definitely some major wish fulfillment (A good and fulfilling job where you're respected, straight out of high school?) but it's well executed and the interactions feel real while also instilling a feeling of contented happiness. I do think they over Aoba's naivety, and the "Nene acts like a kid!" isn't a punchline that, for me, is amusing near as many times as they've used it. But that detracts only a little from the overall experience.

I've heard New Game! cited as evidence that Doga Kobo is edging into KyoAni's tier of consistent quality, along with speculation that if current trends continue, they'll usurp that mantle. Personally, I think that with new avenues for monetization opening up, there's room for more than one at the top.

Kyoto Animation and Doga Kobo are both really small companies, so they each only make 1 show or movie per season. People must quickly forget all the shit shows that Kyoto spend entire seasons producing and only remember when they have hits. Selective memory. I'd argue Doga Kobo might already be ahead.

This is the last three years of Kyoani shows:
- Beyond the Boundary
- Love, Chunibyo and Other Delusions! (season 2)
- Free! Eternal Summer (season 2)
- Amagi Brilliant Park
- Sound! Euphonium
- Myriad Colors Phantom World

Chuni and Free were safe bets as sequels to hit shows, and neither added any new worthwhile things to their franchises. Beyond the Boundary, Amagi Brilliant Park, and Phantom World were all forgettable crap. Only Sound Euphonium was any good, and that's basically banking on their success with shows like K-On and the general popularity of music shows. Meanwhile Doga Kobo had Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun, Plastic Memories, Himōto! Umaru-chan. Sure they had some forgettable stuff, too, but they have more interesting good stuff than I think Kyoto makes.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 09:50:38 am by Reelya »

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28865 on: September 13, 2016, 09:38:03 am »

Sayaka was actually a really well-built paladin. The major issue she had was 1) Fighting with the Chaotic Neutral Thief, 2) Playing as a barbarian rather than as what she actually was specced as, and 3) Being Lawful Stupid.
I think her real issues were severe emotional stress and just not being that powerful. A lot of the former probably goes with the territory of being what she was, but Coobs mentioned that Mami was just plain powerful and Kyouko was an efficient farmer who could thus afford to fight at full strength all the time. If being a solo attrition tank was viable, she probably wouldn't have needed to go berserk mode.

You're asking us to trust the assessment of KYUUBEY
Come now, he's VERY reliable when it's not in his best interests to be otherwise! At least, I don't think he was trying to ruin Blue to bait Pink. I could be wrong.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 01:50:25 pm by Elephant Parade »

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28866 on: September 13, 2016, 11:40:35 am »

Kyoto Animation and Doga Kobo are both really small companies, so they each only make 1 show or movie per season. People must quickly forget all the shit shows that Kyoto spend entire seasons producing and only remember when they have hits. Selective memory. I'd argue Doga Kobo might already be ahead.

This is the last three years of Kyoani shows:
- Beyond the Boundary
- Love, Chunibyo and Other Delusions! (season 2)
- Free! Eternal Summer (season 2)
- Amagi Brilliant Park
- Sound! Euphonium
- Myriad Colors Phantom World

Chuni and Free were safe bets as sequels to hit shows, and neither added any new worthwhile things to their franchises. Beyond the Boundary, Amagi Brilliant Park, and Phantom World were all forgettable crap. Only Sound Euphonium was any good, and that's basically banking on their success with shows like K-On and the general popularity of music shows. Meanwhile Doga Kobo had Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun, Plastic Memories, Himōto! Umaru-chan. Sure they had some forgettable stuff, too, but they have more interesting good stuff than I think Kyoto makes.
Yeah, I also am of the opinion that their reputation is built largely on past achievements. I did find Amagi to be pretty decent, remember that although I believe you like shows that make you think to some extent, there's still a market for shows that just make you feel, and that's what KyoAni is traditionally good at. That's also the market that Doga Kobo is stepping into. So being memorable isn't necessarily as important as just always putting out something for the fans to watch which gives what people want. However, I think Phantom World's sales numbers indicate that KyoAni isn't totally on top of this game anymore either. If you judge by the most recent thing only, as one does with video game studios, then yeah, Doga Kobo is on top. Umaru made a splash, and New Game! is solid. But I don't think Umaru made a K-on sized splash, and anyway the true test is consistency. And while you're calling out some KyoAni shows that weren't exemplary, remember that Doga Kobo also made Mikagura Gakuen and Luck & Logic recently. I don't think they're there in the consistency department.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #28867 on: September 13, 2016, 12:03:58 pm »

. Beyond the Boundary, Amagi Brilliant Park, and Phantom World were all forgettable crap. Only Sound Euphonium was any good, and that's basically banking on their success with shows like K-On and the general popularity of music shows. Meanwhile Doga Kobo had Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun, Plastic Memories, Himōto! Umaru-chan. Sure they had some forgettable stuff, too, but they have more interesting good stuff than I think Kyoto makes.

. Beyond the Boundary, Amagi Brilliant Park, and Phantom World were all forgettable crap.

. Beyond the Boundary was forgettable crap.

I will fight you.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #28868 on: September 13, 2016, 01:47:50 pm »

Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28869 on: September 13, 2016, 02:13:39 pm »

Knowing about the end state is just metaknowledge we had due to Homura, asscat didn't know it.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #28870 on: September 14, 2016, 12:21:27 am »

It's not really that refreshing, unless you're looking at it as a shonen action series. But I'd argue that Re:Zero is more of a battle harem series, which is very prevalent in light novels. The difference is that shonen series are about the MC and his abilities, whereas battle harems are about the girls and their abilities. Battle harems with the hero having some sort of "defective" power are dime a dozen in light novels.

Re:Zero isn't that different to KonoSuba in that particular regard: they're both light novels about a hero with no abilities gets sent to fantasy world, teams up with overpowered girls. Index is similar too: a light novel filled with powerful girls, and a hero's who power is not having any powers.
There's some battle harem elements to it, but it doesn't really follow the format that well. There's really only two girls where there's romantic development at this point (though I haven't read the LN and it wouldn't surprise me at all if there's more added over time) and both of those are totally one-sided. He's got his Dulcinea but for the whole second cour, she has been pissed off at him and geographically separated, and he never got that close in the first cour either. And he's got Rem, who is fatuously devoted but who he pretty much just takes advantage of. The other characters which come to his aid are not that uneven in gender distribution. Of the mansion inhabitants, there's two other females, but the (male) lord saves his ass too, and the White Whale fight involved help from female political players but there was really no romantic aspect to it at all and the main girl for that battle was an old man. And now he's working more or less entirely with male knights.

I don't think there's any super good classification for it, besides just "isekai". Re:0 (and Isekai in general) doesn't really follow any of the established formats from the last decade.

It's like a battle harem with less harem. Battle companions?

It's also a bit like Higurashi in that you get to see things go to shit in a few different ways before they are all more or less solved in one go. A big contrast with Groundhog Day or End of Tomorrow/All You Need is Kill where problems are solved by basically grinding via dying over many tries.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #28871 on: September 14, 2016, 12:33:38 am »

Less "Friends help friends cover up murder" going on though, I think.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #28872 on: September 14, 2016, 01:09:57 am »

Hajime no hippo latest chapter.  GODDAMNIT GODDAMNIT GODDAMNIT!!!!!

GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28873 on: September 14, 2016, 06:39:53 am »

Hajime no hippo latest chapter.  GODDAMNIT GODDAMNIT GODDAMNIT!!!!!

After watching Ashita no Joe, it's gotten obvious that Ippo is following Joe's storyline, almost exactly, but at something like 1/5th speed.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #28874 on: September 14, 2016, 06:46:41 am »

GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.
Pages: 1 ... 1923 1924 [1925] 1926 1927 ... 2193