Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1567 1568 [1569] 1570 1571 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3061496 times)

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #23520 on: July 22, 2015, 11:46:34 pm »

ehh

recolored hatsune miku by huke :v
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #23521 on: July 23, 2015, 12:27:39 am »

Watching Akame ga Kill after seeing some post on /a/ or whatever calling it edgy shit or something along those lines.

Finished first episode, halfway through second episode. Liking it so far. It's not utterly terrible like some series I've tried. Wouldn't call it "edgy" either. At this point edgy seems like a term to refer to a show trying to be cool by being so dark that it becomes silly. Shadow the Hedgehog is edgy. So far Akame ga Kill doesn't seem Shadow the Hedgehog tier edgy. Just looks like a moderately bloody shonen so far.There's also the occasional fanservice I guess in the first episode *cough*blonde chick with the breasts*cough* but again, not absurd levels of fanservice like some other animes that come to mind. Large number of anime girls in the main character group. Hopefully no harem forms.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23522 on: July 23, 2015, 12:55:07 am »

Goodness is Overlord kind of refreshing

It has been a while since I've watched an anime with an intelligent character who makes intelligent choices.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #23523 on: July 23, 2015, 01:11:58 am »

Watching Akame ga Kill after seeing some post on /a/ or whatever calling it edgy shit or something along those lines.

Finished first episode, halfway through second episode. Liking it so far. It's not utterly terrible like some series I've tried. Wouldn't call it "edgy" either. At this point edgy seems like a term to refer to a show trying to be cool by being so dark that it becomes silly. Shadow the Hedgehog is edgy. So far Akame ga Kill doesn't seem Shadow the Hedgehog tier edgy. Just looks like a moderately bloody shonen so far.There's also the occasional fanservice I guess in the first episode *cough*blonde chick with the breasts*cough* but again, not absurd levels of fanservice like some other animes that come to mind. Large number of anime girls in the main character group. Hopefully no harem forms.
Blond chick? Are we talking about the same Kill La Ki...
Ahhh, I see.
Ayup, it's pretty fanservicey, but it isn't too terrible, the big bad's relationship with the main character gets a bit weird though.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #23524 on: July 23, 2015, 01:17:59 am »

... at least as far as I got through the manga, "edgy" is definitely how I'd describe that particular series. Takes itself entirely too seriously* given its premise, characters, and set pieces. Can't speak for the anime, though.

I mean, you eventually run into a guy in bondage gear that sets people on fire and whatnot. The cyborg chick. Buncha' other stuff. It's... definitely silly and bloody, and not really in exactly a good way. Not precisely bad but... I did stop reading after a point.

*E: And by too seriously, I mean at all.

E2: Oh, and if my memory's not failing me you really don't have much to worry about regarding a harem showing up involving the ladies in the main character group you've seen so far. You'll find out why if you keep watching :V

E3: There's a surprisingly decent (and decently lengthy) fanfic floating about that takes the premise of MC getting caught by one of major antagonists right off the bat, though. By and large just as edgy, but somewhat more interesting, ha.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 01:31:10 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #23525 on: July 23, 2015, 01:47:29 am »

On the subject of Black Rock Shooter, I had the misfortune of watching it through to the end. It just kept making less and less sense.
Which one, though?

This is.

Annoying.

To read.
better? :P I somehow think not.
Either works, and the condensed version is probably more correct, but I kind of prefer the split up one.

... at least as far as I got through the manga, "edgy" is definitely how I'd describe that particular series. Takes itself entirely too seriously* given its premise, characters, and set pieces. Can't speak for the anime, though.

I mean, you eventually run into a guy in bondage gear that sets people on fire and whatnot. The cyborg chick. Buncha' other stuff. It's... definitely silly and bloody, and not really in exactly a good way. Not precisely bad but... I did stop reading after a point.

*E: And by too seriously, I mean at all.
It continues on to be a lot bloodier than "moderately," and the basic premise involves assassins running around murdering each other and ugly-to-the-point-of-being-inhuman noble men for abusing some of their innumerable female sex slaves, while occasionally pointing out that they're nothing but murderers and this is really a bad idea. I would lean reasonably in favor of calling that edgy, if not comically so.

I mentioned ages ago in this thread that, when you combine the ridiculously high fatality rates with the occasional RPG terminology, one has to wonder if the author was thinking about making it a video game thing but turned aside at the last minute. It probably would have turned out much more believable and entertaining if he had.

No harem forms, for what that's worth. Well... no proper harem, anyway. If you wanna be generous with the definition, then yes, everyone eventually wants the MC's dick.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23526 on: July 23, 2015, 03:01:09 am »

Well at least the MC ends up with someone on the anime for quite a bit.

Spoiler: spoileriffic (click to show/hide)

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23527 on: July 23, 2015, 03:17:10 am »

I'm watching One Piece!

I AM ENJOYING ONE PIECE!
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23528 on: July 23, 2015, 03:27:13 am »

I'm watching One Piece!

I AM ENJOYING ONE PIECE!

AWWW YEAH!

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23529 on: July 23, 2015, 03:28:00 am »

Anybody have fanfics that outrank their source material?

I mean, for the newer, modern animes (e.g: not including hill of swords tsukaima fanfic).

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23530 on: July 23, 2015, 03:31:33 am »

Either works, and the condensed version is probably more correct, but I kind of prefer the split up one.

I use the split up version because I wrote the way I thought. There were connected ideas without connector words or sentences and thus it was just a long jumbled up sentences that really didn't go into a paragraph.

Just a bunch of thoughts essentially that are strung together loosely. I could spruce it up, but not only is it less genuine but it sucks the joy out of writing to you fine people.

--

So as I said so far the one thing that stands out about Overlord is...

The main character isn't an idiot and makes smart choices.

Goodness... it has been a while... Are there other animes right now with intelligent people making intelligent choices?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #23531 on: July 23, 2015, 04:18:34 am »

Well at least the MC ends up with someone on the anime for quite a bit.

Spoiler: spoileriffic (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Spoilertastic (click to show/hide)

I'm watching One Piece!

I AM ENJOYING ONE PIECE!

AWWW YEAH!
I enjoyed this waaaaaaaaaaay more than I expected to.

So as I said so far the one thing that stands out about Overlord is...

The main character isn't an idiot and makes smart choices.

Goodness... it has been a while... Are there other animes right now with intelligent people making intelligent choices?
Oh yeah, I was gonna ask about that. I never actually got that far into Overlord, in part because it seemed to be meandering into "er well I guess the holy guys are evil so he's gonna be all evil and dark at them, but it's mainly to dicks so he's still likeable."

I guess what I'm asking if he ever gets over being a Mary Sue Edgelord.
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #23532 on: July 23, 2015, 04:30:04 am »

... I can't recall him starting to be that, so... I guess? Critter is fairly overpowered compared to most everything he's been ISOT'd into (with exceptions starting to show up a few volumes in), but not what I'd call running the whole edgelord thing, and the LNs/manga handle the excessive power pretty decently for their mediums. The holy faction hasn't even had much screen time, so far, and the MC and co. haven't actually been being evil and dark much at all (though the more recently translated volumes change that a bit, though not towards the religious faction or humans in general).

LN, at least, even gives a fair amount of word time to explaining how the MC is thinking, as well as some of the whys of it (including the whole No Longer Human thing, which has very definite effects).

It does meander a bit, but the LNs are pretty great and the manga's far from bad. No interest in seeing the anime, but the more core material is handled pretty decently, imo.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23533 on: July 23, 2015, 03:32:47 pm »

Oh yeah, I was gonna ask about that. I never actually got that far into Overlord, in part because it seemed to be meandering into "er well I guess the holy guys are evil so he's gonna be all evil and dark at them, but it's mainly to dicks so he's still likeable."

I guess what I'm asking if he ever gets over being a Mary Sue Edgelord

Actually I will say that... it kind of isn't that... so to speak.

It doesn't reverse the trope EXACTLY. Sure the evil looking people are "The good guys" but only in the sense that they are the least evil guys there... and most of the monsters actually could care less about actually helping people... in fact it is a plot point rather than a background detail.

While the "Holy People" are like any knight order in existence who justify their villainy with the trappings of justice, and never for a second does it ever pretend like they could be the real deal, nor do they pretend they are the natural result of a church.

But... this is anime and "Interesting start with a lot of character driven moments and a few hiccups" turning into "All the interesting aspects that made you watch the anime dissolve into a pile of goo while all the terrible aspects you saw at the start turns out to be the real focus".

Honestly I know that most people say you should give an anime three episodes to be good... but at this point I think that is true, but you should skip to around the middle with the sheer amount of dropped premises.

An anime about characters trying to survive in a world where the elements have leaked in from another plane transforming the people and animals into sort of elemental versions of themselves and played with as a sort of analogy for racial and geopolitical tension... turns into say... A Harem about which hot elemental babe gets to sleep with our hero.

---

Or here is a REAL anime example

An Anime about a magical version of the British Caste system and the sort of elitism it created using a main character who uses atypical thinking in order to achieve the same effects and thus poke holes into the entire system of have and have-nots and the story of how the system affects him, the people around him, and whether or not he can actually change it for the better... Turns into a God Mode Mary Sue and how he is so amazing and everyone loves him.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 03:37:06 pm by Neonivek »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #23534 on: July 23, 2015, 08:56:12 pm »

... I can't recall him starting to be that, so... I guess? Critter is fairly overpowered compared to most everything he's been ISOT'd into (with exceptions starting to show up a few volumes in), but not what I'd call running the whole edgelord thing, and the LNs/manga handle the excessive power pretty decently for their mediums. The holy faction hasn't even had much screen time, so far, and the MC and co. haven't actually been being evil and dark much at all (though the more recently translated volumes change that a bit, though not towards the religious faction or humans in general).
Something like the third chapter has him running around effortlessly butchering knights for butchering a village because "he was PK'd a lot back in the game." I'm not sure if edgelord is the word I'm looking for, and I certainly don't know if it goes on long enough to be a thing, but I feel confident panning it for doing the "ooooh look at how RUTHLESS he is against bad guys we've tried really hard to make you not like!" thing. It's spineless and pandering on multiple axes.

LN, at least, even gives a fair amount of word time to explaining how the MC is thinking, as well as some of the whys of it (including the whole No Longer Human thing, which has very definite effects).

It does meander a bit, but the LNs are pretty great and the manga's far from bad. No interest in seeing the anime, but the more core material is handled pretty decently, imo.
I'm talking about the manga, yeah. The deeper reasoning thing sounds better, at least, since as mentioned the manga seems like it was really reaching to make him "likeable protagonist evil."

It doesn't reverse the trope EXACTLY. Sure the evil looking people are "The good guys" but only in the sense that they are the least evil guys there... and most of the monsters actually could care less about actually helping people... in fact it is a plot point rather than a background detail.

While the "Holy People" are like any knight order in existence who justify their villainy with the trappings of justice, and never for a second does it ever pretend like they could be the real deal, nor do they pretend they are the natural result of a church.
I don't feel like they're reversing anything substantial, I feel like they just couldn't make up their mind on whether he was going to be evil or not, and so went for the usual standby of "nice to everyone we like, a raging dick to everyone we don't."

In, again, the pittance I've actually read. If his callous dickery actually becomes an issue to people we're supposed to care about later on, that'd be taking a stand on the matter and resolve that particular complaint.

But... this is anime and "Interesting start with a lot of character driven moments and a few hiccups" turning into "All the interesting aspects that made you watch the anime dissolve into a pile of goo while all the terrible aspects you saw at the start turns out to be the real focus".

Honestly I know that most people say you should give an anime three episodes to be good... but at this point I think that is true, but you should skip to around the middle with the sheer amount of dropped premises.

An anime about characters trying to survive in a world where the elements have leaked in from another plane transforming the people and animals into sort of elemental versions of themselves and played with as a sort of analogy for racial and geopolitical tension... turns into say... A Harem about which hot elemental babe gets to sleep with our hero.
I don't feel like I've given Overlord a particularly fair chance, but watching something for an hour to find out if you want to watch it or not feels excessive to me. Are there that many shows that start off that uninteresting and slow?

Or here is a REAL anime example

An Anime about a magical version of the British Caste system and the sort of elitism it created using a main character who uses atypical thinking in order to achieve the same effects and thus poke holes into the entire system of have and have-nots and the story of how the system affects him, the people around him, and whether or not he can actually change it for the better... Turns into a God Mode Mary Sue and how he is so amazing and everyone loves him.
I feel like this is an atypically extreme example. And not necessarily one that would have been made better by sticking to its guns.
Pages: 1 ... 1567 1568 [1569] 1570 1571 ... 2193