Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1566 1567 [1568] 1569 1570 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3061537 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #23505 on: July 22, 2015, 03:10:44 am »

Spoiler: Goku vs Superman 2 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #23506 on: July 22, 2015, 03:13:43 am »

@Baug: Create, maybe not, but pop over to some random expendable universe? Sure; supes has dimension hopped under his own power before. To say nothing of the ones that have hitched a ride via something or another.

... I'm not really sure it's fair to bring in silver age/silly powerful superman into the discussion, though. His power list at that point is basically, "Whatever." S'functionally author's fiat rather than anything concrete, heh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #23507 on: July 22, 2015, 04:14:50 am »

You're all making the issue of thinking of Superman as a character, he's not really a "character" per se, more like a plot device with a face.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23508 on: July 22, 2015, 04:41:06 am »

Spoiler: Goku vs Superman 2 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Oh yeah, I forgot about that. My bad.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23509 on: July 22, 2015, 05:54:48 am »

You're all making the issue of thinking of Superman as a character, he's not really a "character" per se, more like a plot device with a face.

Superman has a character... As I've said before... there are reasons why Superman's issues aren't about him versus some lowly thug on the street.

In the same way that Dr. Who isn't pitted against hackers.

The best way to understand Superman as a character is also to understand Clark Kent.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #23510 on: July 22, 2015, 03:09:00 pm »

In the same way that Dr. Who isn't pitted against hackers.
Funnily enough, I'm pretty sure there was an episode last season where he basically was. :P

But yeah, Superman does work as a character, but not necessarily in the same way that many normal characters do. Pretty much all of Superman's real conflicts (as opposed to the many that are really just there to sell that particular issue without any real growth or whatever after they are beaten) always end up being Man v. Self ones ala the "world of cardboard" type of scenario. It's very rare to have a villain that could actually compromise a threat to superman, and even those tend to be just a Man v. Self in disguise. In the latest movie, for example, the whole point of the other kryptons was to cause a Man v. Self in Superman about birth v. adopted parents/culture. It had some epic fights, yeah, but that was the real conflict there.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23511 on: July 22, 2015, 03:14:58 pm »

Well there are two movies I think are essential for understanding superman

1st) Superman versus the Elite
2nd) All Star Superman

As well remember that Superman's real identity is Clark Kent. He transforms into a beacon of hope.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #23512 on: July 22, 2015, 03:19:17 pm »

Yeah, that's the thing - Superman stories are essentially never about whether or not Superman is going to win or not. The fight is always an allegory, and his inevitable victory represents the inevitable victory of virtue and integrity over whatever moral hazard the comic wants to be about this time. That's not the case for any of these anime heroes, especially in shonen stuff, whose stories are about triumphing over adversity, specifically. The hero's victory is almost certainly equally inevitable, but it's still the crux of the story.

Superman's conflicts are about doing the right thing - it's taken as a given that he has the power to win. We all know he's going to do the right thing, because that's how stories are written, but it's still the key issue.
The anime heroes in question have conflicts about winning - it's taken as a given that they know what the right thing is. We all know they're going to win, because that's how stories are written, but it's still the key issue.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23513 on: July 22, 2015, 03:26:08 pm »

Not that he hasn't had plenty of issues where it is in question.

The Superman Versus Braniac movie for example.

---

To admit though I do think the average Superman fight is more entertaining then the average anime fight >_< goodness am I tired of clashes.

Mind you no anime can get as bad as Saint Seiya and the Lost Canvas... Where somehow they managed to get the feeling of a turn based RPG into animation.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 03:27:54 pm by Neonivek »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #23514 on: July 22, 2015, 03:31:31 pm »

Not that he hasn't had plenty of issues where it is in question.

The Superman Versus Braniac movie for example.
Technically even in that film the climax wasn't necessarily when he defeated his enemies.The climax was on the focus of whether or not Lois was going to survive, with a dash of whether or not Superman should leave the Daily Planet in order to be with Lois.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #23515 on: July 22, 2015, 06:25:24 pm »

There's something about Food Wars that makes me giggle like a schoolgirl. Probably all the absurd clothes-exploding and foodgasms, but still. 10/10, would cook again.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23516 on: July 22, 2015, 09:40:49 pm »

On the subject of Black Rock Shooter, I had the misfortune of watching it through to the end. It just kept making less and less sense.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23517 on: July 22, 2015, 11:11:41 pm »

On the subject of Black Rock Shooter, I had the misfortune of watching it through to the end. It just kept making less and less sense.

It makes perfect sense but you have to understand the shows metaplot so to speak.

The show basically is a metaphor for the human subconscious and mass consciousness.

The show just dresses it up in supernatural themes.

Black Rock Shooter is the girls subconscious... and just like in real life your subconscious deals with issues so you don't have to.

And when someone can't deal with their issues consciously or subconsciously it manifests in a very similar way that the show does.

That is all I can say without giving spoilers.

I think the show is... alright.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23518 on: July 22, 2015, 11:33:05 pm »

This is.

Annoying.

To read.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23519 on: July 22, 2015, 11:44:36 pm »

This is.

Annoying.

To read.

It makes perfect sense but you have to understand the shows metaplot so to speak.  The show basically is a metaphor for the human subconscious and mass consciousness. The show just dresses it up in supernatural themes. Black Rock Shooter is the girls subconscious... and just like in real life your subconscious deals with issues so you don't have to. And when someone can't deal with their issues consciously or subconsciously it manifests in a very similar way that the show does. That is all I can say without giving spoilers. I think the show is... alright.

better? :P I somehow think not.
Pages: 1 ... 1566 1567 [1568] 1569 1570 ... 2193